What bikes look good in 'bigger' sizes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

jmaccyd wrote:I'm 193 cm so ride 61/62 CM bikes and they, well...always looks kind of big and unwieldy. I ride quite a sporty position but they never seem to 'look right' Anyone got any ideas what bikes size up well into the bigger frame sizes. I had a Pino Paris until a spill wrecked it and I thought that still looked a great bike in a 62CM frame size. Any pics there of bikes for the taller gentleman?

A big frame is far more than the looks. Check Leonard Zinn, he is the tech editor of Velonews, he races road and cyclocross, he is pretty tall and has building bikes for tall people for many years. That's his nitch. He lives in Boulder Colorado USA. He will help you to make a custom bike for you. He also has large cranks etc.
zinncycles.com iir

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Trek Colnago Cervelo Specialized

Crashtest

by Crashtest

Horizontal top tubes make bigger frames look better, IMO. Also modern stiffened, aero headtubes don't help. Evidence: the giant mass of carbon on my Stevens

62cm Supercorsa

62cm Ventoux

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The biggest issue with the aesthetics on that Stevens is that big thick white geometric pin stripe.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hambini

by hambini

Look 695?

Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

wobbly

by wobbly

hambini wrote:Look 695?

nice bike !
first time I've seen red hoods look ok :o :o

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

My Supersix is a 58cm. Wish the headtube was lower but I've lost all the steerer I possibly can!Image
Last edited by 4ibanez on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

AJS914 wrote:It's hard to beat a traditional horizontal top tube for the larger sizes when it comes to looks and proportions.

Absolutely, that is why at 6'2" I went with a traditional frame, Collage C60 at 60cm. Couldn't be happier and she looks mighty fine
It only hurts if you think.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I hope 2XL Ultimate/Aeroad looks good in real life even though I didn't see the pictures of either.. Might get one when the disc brake versions come out. 61 Tarmacs don't look that bad (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2jVKI ... sp=sharing) as long as you dont need the seatpost to be as high as mine.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

C60_Sml160kb.jpg
FYI, here is that C60
It only hurts if you think.

jever98

by jever98

AJS914 wrote:It's hard to beat a traditional horizontal top tube for the larger sizes when it comes to looks and proportions.

Must disagree here. I'm 2m (6'7") plus have short torso / long legs. I find for me a sloped frame looks best. (this is my pasculli: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122183&p=1093029&hilit=pasculli#p1093029)

In terms of the HT - personally I find it looks best if the bike doesn't need too many spacers for the right fit and if the distance between the top and and the down tube isn't too big at the front - in my case the solution was a custom frame.

Cheers
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

leej88

by leej88

Not mine, lirek15's Time Skylon in L size.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Cal's traditional Nags always look fantastic. A C60 in 62 Traditional has to be one of the best looking "big and tall" frames out there.

Yes I know there is plenty of ViAS loathing here but personally I think the bigger these things are the better they look.

785mm Saddle height
125mm Stem
40cm No rise bar

Using Tapatalk

DanAndrews

by DanAndrews

Nefarious86 wrote:Cal's traditional Nags always look fantastic. A C60 in 62 Traditional has to be one of the best looking "big and tall" frames out there.

Yes I know there is plenty of ViAS loathing here but personally I think the bigger these things are the better they look.

785mm Saddle height
125mm Stem
40cm No rise bar

Nice! Agree these look better with bigger frames. Also like the way large Super Sixes look.

Marin

by Marin

4ibanez wrote:My Supersix is a 58cm. Wish the headtube was lower but I've lost all the steerer I possibly can!]

With negative setback on the saddle and the super slammed bars, you should obviously be on a smaller frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com