Tips on getting off a super tight tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Trying to get a 4000sII off of a Reynolds Strike SLG rim. I've seen tight setups before but this is horrific. Getting a tyre level under there is way out of the question.

Problem seems to be that this is a tubeless ready rim so it's seated tight like this intentionally. Tried the squeezing technique, where you try to get the tyre bead into the centre channel to get some slack, but it won't happen, it's way too tight to get it to move.

:shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Is there is dip or channel in the inside of the rim? If so, try and squeeze the bead on the opposite side into the channel to make more room.

If the tire is worn out and will be tossed, then you can easily cut it off.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Shrike wrote:Trying to get a 4000sII off of a Reynolds Strike SLG rim. I've seen tight setups before but this is horrific. Getting a tyre level under there is way out of the question
:shock:

It sounds like the bead isn't actually in the center channel. I've pulled those tires off of that rim without tools.

A little soapy water can make it easier to slip the bead over.

mattr

by mattr

It appears to have a fairly normal channel in the rim. Time to try harder........

Might also be a rim tape problem. If it's too thick or too stiff. The bead won't drop into the channel.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I never have a problem with any road tire. Of course,there are better and worster tire,but each one I pulled on the rim. All you need is strong fingers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you want to see tight try a IRC tubeless tyre on a ryde pulse sprint rim. I could barely get that off. The OP's on the renoylds rim wont be an issue. use a flat thin lever for tubeless tyres problem solved.

kode54

by kode54

the OP mentions that the bead won't drop into the center channel.

that is due to the tight seal that tubeless tires need...and typically, any tire bead will need to be pinched and pulled off of the outer rim edges. once you do that, it'll be easy to get the tire off.
i came across this when i bought a TLR rim and using a regular tire and tube in it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BRM

by BRM

Maybe you can pick up some ideas from this topic
http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/tub ... 33937.html

xena
Banned

by xena

That's the thing about a lot of cyclists being so skinny. Weak upper body strength.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm a pretty big guy xena :)

85kg and not much bf.

Had another go at the tyres today and it just popped into the centre channel, rather easily.

So now I'm wondering how it can do that after a solid half hour of me putting my back into it just a couple of days earlier - to now just coming in with a pull on the fingers. I know the bead won't stretch, so it can't be that.

It's warm here today though, which is rare, so any chance that helped?
Last edited by Shrike on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the bead does stretch though.

Shrike

by Shrike

Interesting thanks, didn't know! That would be a better explanation that a few degrees of ambient temp :D

xena
Banned

by xena

Shrike wrote:I'm a pretty big guy xena :)

85kg and not much bf.

Had another go at the tyres today and it just popped into the centre channel, rather easily.

So now I'm wondering how it can do that after a solid half hour of me putting my back into it just a couple of days earlier - to now just coming in with a pull on the fingers. I know the bead won't stretch, so it can't be that.

It's warm here today though, which is rare, so any chance that helped?

I'm around 80k myself, I had a similar issue with a veloflex tyre. Obviously it was not as tough as your one, I did manage to get it off in the end but it was like I had done a hour long forearm workout. The comment was just a slight [skit] at us cyclists. I bet Rich Piana could sort it out :lol:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Use veloplugs. It gives you a lot more wiggle room, seriously you'll thank me!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jefftillack

by jefftillack

I've got Conti GP4000's on Cosmic Carbone rims and they're a nightmare to get off. It's almost as if the tyres are too small for the rims. After breaking two tyre levers trying to get them off when I've flatted I've put my Shamal's back on now which are so easy. Couple minutes and I'm back on the road. Although the Mavic's look great on my bike I just can't afford to get stuck somewhere in the back of nowhere.....