Which chainring is better with Shimano FDs: Sram Red vs Praxis

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about keeping my stock hollowgram crankset and add srm / quarq / power2max PM to it. That would make me change the chainrings to something else than the spider rings. It seems like the two top choice are the ones in the subject. Which one is better?

Priorities:
1., Good shifting
2., Weight
3., Durability

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Shimano rings. I have a Quarq Elsa mated to DA 7900 rings on Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed, and it shifts better than the Red rings that came with it, or Praxis Rings. The Red rings don't shift very well, but pretty durable. The Praxis rings shifted better than the Red rings at first, but not very durable. Hope that helps. Looks ugly, but gets the job done.

davidalone

by davidalone

Praxis and Shimano make the only forged chainrings in the entire industry.

Forged chainrings are inherently stiffer than anything machined. given teh same FD, Chainring stiffness is probably the factor that most affects front shifting.

Praxis, for sure.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have a habit of trying different chainrings, hoping to find nirvana. :-) (Disclaimer: For the last 10 years or so, I have not used Campy chainrings.)
My favorite chainrings are without a doubt DA. They are stiff and shift perfectly. Period. Praxis and Cannondale Spiderings come next. I do not use Cannondale that much (nowadays just 1 bike) since it is a fixed combo and you have to use hollowgrams. So Praxis is my next favorite. Stiff, reliable, and my God, best customer service (give them a call and you'll know what I mean.)

As for weight, the Cabon Ti rings are definitely nice, well except, they shift barely acceptable; not bad just barely livable with...

fordred

by fordred

silvercivic27 wrote:Image

Sorry but I would choose poor shifting than to keep seeing that on my bike.

Beaver

by Beaver

Hm, how long did your Praxis rings last? Mine can do 20k km without problems. Same here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkEB8PDRE6U

Shifting is as good as 5-arm Dura Ace, the new 4-arm ones are a tad better because of the shifting ramp.

RED rings are heavier (130g for a 50 teeth RED vs. 100g for Praxis Buzz), not as durable and shift worse.

nibugaga

by nibugaga

My advice is to get away from the Praxis chainrings. I bought some a few months ago for my P2M and the upshift is the worst I ever experienced.
I have ultegra 6800 on my bike and the upshift with the shimano cranks is simply perfect, with the Praxis, it's impossible to upshift if I put more than 100 W on the pedals, totally unacceptable.

I just ordered a pair of Shimano RS500 chainrings to replace the Praxis, it won't be as pretty, but at least it will do what it is intended to do, shift the chain between the chainrings.

morganb

by morganb

nibugaga wrote:My advice is to get away from the Praxis chainrings. I bought some a few months ago for my P2M and the upshift is the worst I ever experienced.
I have ultegra 6800 on my bike and the upshift with the shimano cranks is simply perfect, with the Praxis, it's impossible to upshift if I put more than 100 W on the pedals, totally unacceptable.

I just ordered a pair of Shimano RS500 chainrings to replace the Praxis, it won't be as pretty, but at least it will do what it is intended to do, shift the chain between the chainrings.

That sounds like some sort of other issue, I have ridden 5 sets of Praxis rings with a multitude of FD set ups (10 speed shimano, 11 speed shimano mech and Di2, eTap) and they have all been able to shift under load.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

SHRAM (of Scam as i call them) are never better than anyone regarding cycling components. Get Shimano rings or Praxis.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

https://youtu.be/MkEB8PDRE6U?t=494
Mine Praxis are doing same with KMC chain. Using Red22 FD and shifting isnt that great how they are marketing it.

Overrated product and I wouldnt pay 140€ for them. Just wanted test them becouse bought new second hand 52/36 set for 40€.

nibugaga

by nibugaga

morganb wrote:
nibugaga wrote:My advice is to get away from the Praxis chainrings. I bought some a few months ago for my P2M and the upshift is the worst I ever experienced.

That sounds like some sort of other issue, I have ridden 5 sets of Praxis rings with a multitude of FD set ups (10 speed shimano, 11 speed shimano mech and Di2, eTap) and they have all been able to shift under load.

I tried to eliminate any exterior problems who could be the reason for the poor shifting, but in the end, whatever I tried to improve the shifting was useless.
These chainrings are complete garbage. 140 euros for the trash.

If you think it's me who can't set up his FD, I will be happy to sell you them ;)

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Have never quite understood the fuzz about Praxis rings as my simply designed Stronglight CT2 rings happen to shift better... Don't ask me why, just personal experience. Bought the Praxis rings because of all the positive reviews, they are ok, but left me slightly disappointed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com