Merckx San Remo 76

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdh

by pdh

Hi,

Having been hit by a car a couple of months ago, I am now ready to get back on the bike. Unfortunately the same cannot currently be said for my bike, and I am therefore looking for a new bike to ride whilst my loyal Felt is repaired.

A shop near me has what I believe is an excellent deal on a 2015 Merckx San Remo 76 (with 105) bike at just under £1,000, and I was wondering what the general consensus of the San Remo was on this forum? I saw that a couple of members had posted some very positive impressions shortly after the bike was first released, and I wanted to ask whether those impressions had withstood the test of time? In particular I was wondering how people felt the bike handled climbing? Merckx describe the bike as a 'sprinter's dream' and I tend to prefer climbing to sprinting, but apart from a slight weight penalty (which if it's running 105 and Fulcrum Quattros it's hardly a super-light build anyway) is there any reason a sprinter's dream bike can't cope equally well with the climbs? I will of course test ride the bike next week but I have typically found that a short spin up and down a flat street rarely tells you much.

I normally ride one of Felt's F-Series bikes and find that it tends to suit me as most of my rides are short (60-120km) and fast, either by myself or with a club. Thus the other two bikes in a similar price category which I am considering are the Felt F5 or the Cannondale Supersix Evo (105), both of which would cost more than the clearance price at which the Merckx is currently available. The other option would be to look for a good second hand bike until the Felt is fixed, but I am by now rather anxious to get out on a bike again and a second hand search could potentially take a while. The aim with this bike is very much to get me out riding again.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Using 54 Felt for comparison - reach and stack are very close. But the Head Tube Angle is significantly different. So the Merckx won't respond to steering input as quickly.

pdh.PNG

So it's going to feel different, whether that's good or bad is up to your preferences.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

This is my 2 cents as a former caad10 owner ... Caad10/12 . Geo is similar to evo ?

pdh

by pdh

Thanks, I'd only seen the stack and reach numbers, the head tube angle had escaped my notice somehow. Will definitely see now noticeable the difference is, and whether its positive or negative when I try the bike.

Always been keen to try a CAAD 10, and next year when I get into to racing it will probably be on either a Felt F75 or a CAAD 10/12. Do you by any chance know if there is any noticeable difference between the two? The F75 was one of my first road bikes and I considered it an excellent bike for the price, and I would imagine it still is. I just don't see it mentioned as often as the CAAD 10/12, and I was wondering if there really was as large a difference between them.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

I probably know less than you but, there are so many caad owners and so few Felt f75 owners .... to me it's an easy choice...

AJS914

by AJS914

It's got some good reviews out there.

http://road.cc/content/review/132852-ed ... -road-bike

I'm a fan now of a slacker head tube angle since getting my Colnago C59.

Since that shop is near you, why not ride it and decide for yourself?

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Get a giant TCR Sl 2 or something with that price with carbon wheels and 6800

Edited saw op original budget

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

cyclenutnz wrote:Using 54 Felt for comparison - reach and stack are very close. But the Head Tube Angle is significantly different. So the Merckx won't respond to steering input as quickly.

Another way of stating this: the Merckx will be more stable at speed.

Pricing has become fairly aggressive on the Merckx bikes. I almost bought one a few months ago. They look good in person.

pdh

by pdh

GothicCastle wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:Pricing has become fairly aggressive on the Merckx bikes. I almost bought one a few months ago. They look good in person.

Yes, that's both what drew my attention to the Merckx and what made me slightly wary as to their quality if shops were having difficulty moving them. I agree that the bike looks better in person than it does in photos. Do you mind if I ask why you didn't opt for the Merckx in the end?

I really appreciate the advice on here. I have a test ride of the Merckx next week and will pay special attention to the difference in handling between it and my beloved Felt. As I've only previously ridden Felts, I imagine there might actually be some benefits to having bikes which display different handling characteristics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com