Jersey; lightweight, race fit, no sagging areas...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Oddly, it seems quite hard to find a lightweight race fit jersey that actually fits properly...

Both Rapha Pro Climbers jerseys I have, have too much material around the lower torso area, which leads to sagging pockets, and a front waist section that ripples into loops of cloth. I like how light and thin it is, but the fit is lame. Also, the quality control from Rapha is shockingly bad; I compared 3 supposedly identical jerseys (same model, year, and size), and the difference in the size of each section was incredible. Entire centimetres different. The guy working there seemed as shocked as I was.

So, I am looking for alternatives which are as light as a Rapha Pro Climbers jersey, but actually properly race fit.

Any recommendations?

I have an Attaquer jersey which fits well, but it is way too thick for mid summer riding...

1415chris

by 1415chris

Go size lower. Have Climbers, no issues, but the jersey doesn't snug me perfectly, that's my body fills in it nicely ;)
I found previous pro aero to have slightly tighter fit than climbers (the same sizes).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

try the castelli aero race, i've got the 5.0 version, snug, no flapping/drooping, i'm skinny and a medium is fine, the current version is 5.1

mimason

by mimason

You should consider Alle branded kits. They are super light weight, have great chamois and are race fit plus UV protection.

Height 180, 85kg Size L....perfect

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I can't stand flapping jerseys, so everything I wear is race fit, and our Cyclespeed tops are no exception; :)

But otherwise Sportful and Castelli do some good aero stuff, it's just a question of choosing the right size (M for me).

I like the look of the Parentini stuff, and will be doing a review on their top of the range aero kit shortly.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

POC Race Day Climbers Jersey. Cool light weight on warm days and a true race fit.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Catella fabrics are rated "quick absorb slow dry" acting as a heat exchanger (think radiator) keeping your core cool.

http://www.kitwatch.cc/on-test-catella-kit-casuals/

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

A related issue for me is the neck & zipper.
Does anyone know of jersey brands that have a deep-V neck like track racing tops?
I cannot deal with regular collars and the tops of zipper material that irritate my windpipe.

sungod

by sungod

again, look at the castelli, it's much lower around the neck than a standard jersey...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Caste ... =univ&sa=X

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Yep, the Castelli Aero 4 and 5's are quite low necked as is the Sportful I'm wearing in this vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moltw5Cn9Mg

ill principe

by ill principe

For me Endura FS-260 Pro SL jerseys are a perfect fit.

I´m built like a GC contender: 187cm 68kg and the jersey fits me like no other have done before. Like its been painted on, even on my spaghetti straw biceps.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

wingguy

by wingguy

cyclespeed wrote:Yep, the Castelli Aero 4 and 5's are quite low necked

Just be aware that the 5.1 is proper low neck (love it, it's the only jersey I wear fully zipped all the time) but the 4.1 does have a bit of a conventional collar. It's better than most others fully zipped, but still more comfortable 1cm down.

LionelB

by LionelB

Etxe ondo. No flapping, race fit.

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

TheDarkInstall wrote:Oddly, it seems quite hard to find a lightweight race fit jersey that actually fits properly...

I recently became aware of that many companies make the same jersey in 2 different cuts: (1) club cut that is pretty loose but is aim at riders that are a little overweight. Almost all the cycling events that provide their own jerseys for obvious reasons use the club cut. (2) race cut, this are the ones that fit well and is the cut you see in the pro peloton. For what you want it seems you have to get the race fit jerseys.
All the brands mentioned in this thread have also jerseys with race fit size. My preference is for Santini but the others also pretty good.
Of course the fabric is price related so what you paid will make a difference here. Design jersey will be heavily discounted this time of the year. I have just ordered "Stelvio" jersey from Santini from Wiggle in sale for about 60 dollars.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

2nd for EtxeOndo; tight fit and race cut.

But as said above, most brands have race/form fit. It's just a matter of filtering those out and giving them a shot.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com