Hollowgram cracks - again and again

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

I have purchased my first Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod in 2011 and paid the extra $$$ for a nice Hollowgram SL crankset.

It was a great setup but after aprox. 4 years of normal use, a few cracks came up - as you can see in the pics attached, a couple of cracks on the drive side crank arm just where the two parts are "glued" together, and a pair of symmetric cracks building up from the BB bolt area.

I tried to claim a warranty, but Cannondale Brazil denied the warranty because I purchased the bike in other country (France). Then I asked the bike shop in Paris, and they told me warranty was valid up to 1 year.
Attachments
Hollowgram-right-bottom-reduced.JPG
Hollowgram-right-top-crack-flash-reduced.JPG
Hollowgram-right-top-symetric crack-flash-reduced.JPG
Hollowgram-right-top-symetric-1-reduced.JPG
New pic longer crack pedal - reduced.JPG
<><

romalor

by romalor

in Europe the warranty is two years , they lie to you ...
I saw the same issues on a few SISL's but all have replaced under warranties ( on french forums ) veloptimal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

Part II:
Without warranty, I asked Cannondale in Brazil if I could purchase a new pair of crank arms. They did not have it!! :shock:

So I got a new pair of SiSL 2 crank arms on ebay.
Nice, hum???
Not really...

After only 5 months of normal use, both sides have shown a different crack now... take a look.
Attachments
SiSL2 Crack left side reduced a.jpg
SiSL2 Crack left side reduced b.jpg
<><

tl8nicol

by tl8nicol

That is enough for me. I will get rid of Cannondale and Hollowgram.
<><

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Wow! That is some horribly bad luck. I've been using some Hollowgrams since 2011 off and on with a SRM and don't think I have any cracks even if I do have lots of nicks from chain drops, shoe rubs, and other such wear and tear. I love my cranks, but if in your shoes I too would be ditching C'dale and all their products

romalor

by romalor

After sales service with cannondale wasn't great the lasts 5 years here In Belgium
Now it seems to be better from the friends I've who work in bike shop

tarmackev

by tarmackev

After sales and warranty from Cannondale UK is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I cracked the non-drive SiSL2 arm, at the point where the pedal screws in. I thought something was wrong with my pedal at first, as it felt weird and rubbery. I looked down and saw the crank flexing in, and twisting, so stopped riding and walked home; no way I was going to risk it snapping and slicing my leg open. Cannondale replaced it, but the service was terrible. At first they sent a used crank as replacement (!), covered in wear marks. I complained, and they took ages to send me a new one. Got it eventually, but the service was ridiculous, especially trying to palm off a used part to me.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Are the cracks only occuring on the SL versions? SISL 1&2?

What about the regular hollowgrams SI's?

I'm a fairly light rider. 60-65kg. Could it be that the SL's were all cracked by heavier riders?

/a

sharkman

by sharkman

Lately only seen cracks on the latest sl version (the old carbon version had it’s problema roo) Had a friend crack two non drive side arms at the pedal insert and recently saw another one damaged at exact the same spot. all where used by strong riders and guarantee claims denied (washer under pedal was used (and torque wrench). First comment was not to use anti seize but second arm cracked without...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Braavos

by Braavos

tl8nicol wrote:That is enough for me. I will get rid of Cannondale and Hollowgram.
Agree. Amazing to know such negative feedback too.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Been using the Hollowgram SL cranks here exclusively for 6 year. Never had a single problem, but I'm only 69 kg.

If I had that kind of bad luck, I would ditch them as well.

Regards.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah...

Digger90

by Digger90

That old saying from the 90's mountain biking scene: 'Cannondale' = 'Crackandfail'.

charirider

by charirider

That's why I went with Hollowgram Si 2020 version. Way cheaper and bombproof. Weight penalty vs SiSl2 is like what, 50-60g with 1x chainring (in my case), so not worth the risk.
Can't trust bonded stuff like SiSl2 or Dura-Ace/Ultegra of a later years.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com