Help please - just got some deep wheels, no clue how to inflate them!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Used to presta valves, but these have some odd black stems hanging out of the rims. Are there even tubes inside? Bike came assembled with these (Canyon). These are tubeless ready rims, but I doubt Canyon would have converted them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Just pump them up.
They are screwed on over the open valve core.

Or go and get some new tubes with removeable cores and get some "proper" extensions.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. Strongly recommend replacing that style of valve extender with the type that sits between the valve body and the valve core: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/vittoria-va ... nders.html

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, just pumping them up worked. Not the most.. elegant solution these things, but yes, did work. Will check out those other extenders that look like normal valves!

Shrike

by Shrike

New day, new problem. How do you deflate them?

Tried a wire hanger, ie. sticking it down the extender tube and hope to depress the valve head. No joy. Maybe not pushing hard enough, but worried I'll damage something!

EDIT: No worries, tried again, wriggled the hanger about more and pushed harder, can't get it depressed a little bit. Slow going.. but whatever.

EDIT 2: Unscrewing the valve extender a bit allows the valve to decompress fully and deinflate like normal. Hope that helps some newb some year :P
Last edited by Shrike on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

You should just be able to unscrew the extender.

Then you'll be able to see the core.

mattr

by mattr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snaaijer

by snaaijer

Shrike wrote:New day, new problem. How do you deflate them?

Tried a wire hanger, ie. sticking it down the extender tube and hope to depress the valve head. No joy. Maybe not pushing hard enough, but worried I'll damage something!

EDIT: No worries, tried again, wriggled the hanger about more and pushed harder, can't get it depressed a little bit. Slow going.. but whatever.

EDIT 2: Unscrewing the valve extender a bit allows the valve to decompress fully and deinflate like normal. Hope that helps some newb some year :P

I use some metal wire with which I can depress the valve that's in the rim. Once you've done that a couple of times you just shake your head and get the removable core ones...