Q Rings Chainline Issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Need some help on my Rotor Q Rings. Please see this video:

http://tinypic.com/m/jickrk/1View%20My%20Video

As you can see there is quite some movement in the chainline. Does not matter how much I adjust the low, high or straightening screws I get chain rub. This happens in gears 52\13\12\11. I have managed to eliminate the chain rub on all others. Warped chainring? Is just the chainline is to out that it'll always rub a little?

Although I installed the Rotor Q Ring shim at 6 degree angle I still cannot change gears 36\14\13\12\11. Not a problem in itself as I wouldn't use these ratios normally. The inner ring does not have the movement that the outer ring gives.

I'm installing on a Giant defy Advanced Pro 0 with a Ultegra 6870 Di2 front mech.

Any help gratefully received.

Geoff

by Geoff

That looks very different than the movement that I have seen on any bike I have run the 'Q'-Rings on. Generally, the movement is merely 'up and down', not 'in and out'. I would say that the rings are 'warped' as you say, or that something else is misaligned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I'd be checking the rings are flat and the tabs on the crank aren't bent.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Have you had the Rotor spider off the arm, and its not sat on the drive dogs properly when retightened?
Official cafe stop tester

Guerdi

by Guerdi

gazzaputt wrote:[...] Warped chainring? Is just the chainline is to out that it'll always rub a little? [...]

I've had exactly the same issue with a 52 rotor chainring and a 6800 FD. No matter what I did to adjust it correctly, it would rub on the 3 lower gears. It took me a while to find out that the chainring was bent.

Last week I installed a shimano chainring and guess what ? Perfect and silent shifting now. But I miss my rotor big ring.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Edit: No front ring moves in all ratios. Inner ring no movement. Must be warped ring :evil:

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Okay swapped the outer ring for a spare ring video:

http://tinypic.com/m/jigtbn/1View%20My%20Video

I think there is less movement in without the Q ring would anyone care to agree?

I checked the q ring with a square and could not find it to be warped. Checked the crank tabs for the chainring bolts and to the eye they look okay.

Rear cassette checked all okay there.

Re mounted the Q ring and there is slightly less movement. I have fitted the extra QXL FD spacer which has helped to eliminate some chain rub but still get some in the 17 and 16 tooth.

I have another set of rings on the way to fit to my Ultegra crankset so I'll have a comparison then.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Fitted rings to Ultegra cranks and had no issues at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twisty

by Twisty

Hard to tell from the video, but maybe the Rotor spider is not sitting flush on the crank.