Tarmac sport 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

When I was in a specialized store trying to get a test ride I noticed that the 2017 sl4 tarmac sport had a threaded bb ? anyone know why this is , not that I'm complaining because that would be a big plus for me as I would of put my DA9000 on it . Also it did not feel in anyway light.

OutOfBreath

by OutOfBreath

They also state they're using the different crown bearing diameter depending on the frame size like was used on the higher end tarmacs last year. On the other hand in the description it says it has integrated seatpost collar but the pictures show a normal one so I don't rely much on the web info.

My thoughts is that they're using the bottom bracket and front triangle area molds of last year's higher end models with the lesser seat tube one for this model thus having the threaded bb and the varying crown race diameters but a conventional seatpost clamp instead of the integrated one, what seems like a plus to me too.

By the way, they use Praxis 30mm cranks with matching Praxis BB. Praxis has a propietary bb tool for their threaded BBs, does someone know if the normal shimano one would work or do they have a different spline and their tool is mandatory?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treetrees

by treetrees

not sure on the proprietary tool but for me I would get the lbs to take off the crank and bb and fit a new 9000 bb and my 9000 chainset along with all my 9000 groupset that should lighten it up shouldn't it ?

Tom14

by Tom14

I don't think the Shimano tool will fit.

The Tarmac Comp, wich is the newer rider first engineered version with Fact10r carbon has a threaded BB too.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Tom14 wrote:I don't think the Shimano tool will fit.

The Tarmac Comp, wich is the newer rider first engineered version with Fact10r carbon has a threaded BB too.

WOW. This is news! At least for me. I just checked and they indeed list everything under $3k with threaded BBs. That's awesome!

OutOfBreath

by OutOfBreath

Too bad the shimano bb cup tool won't fit the Praxis threaded bb. I mean, it's no big deal but if you already have the shimano tool, like to do your own wrenching and don't want to use the praxis cranks you are forced to buy the propietary tool for just one use or take the bike to the lbs wich negates part of the convenience of the threaded BB.

I wonder if the upcoming new Roubaix will follow and go back to the english threaded bottom bracket, I bet it will and hope many manufacturers do the same.

jeffy

by jeffy

GAME CHANGING

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com