Who produces Canyon frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

On the bases of ride-quality of finish-quality of paint of a frame, you can not tell wher eit's made.
It can be that Canyon is made by Giant but that doe snot mean both Canyon and Giant top of the range frames will have the same ride-quality or the same quality in finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Sorry to bump this thread up, but I checked with Canyon and they said their frames are now made in China by Quest Composite (Ultimate CF SLX, CF SLX Disc and CF SL Disc).

http://www.questcomposite.com/business-sport.php
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Thanks for that link jlok. Interesting that they also make Trek frames and Bontrager components. More interesting is the fact that they advertise it on their website!

RussellS

by RussellS

5 8 5 wrote:Thanks for that link jlok. Interesting that they also make Trek frames and Bontrager components. More interesting is the fact that they advertise it on their website!

I'm surprised by that too. I would think Trek would limit any pictures or advertising of their brand to only approved sources. Find it hard to believe Trek would promote a Chinese company to advertise its Trek brand. Unless maybe this company is considered a high end Chinese company and only makes the best of the best. Therefore Trek wants it known that they only use the best Chinese company. Pretty sure Trek knows everyone knows that Trek makes most/all of their stuff in China. So actively promoting that nothing is made in China only applies to one or two companies in the whole world. Everything is made in China now.

BRM

by BRM

This company is already for longer time a Trek partner.
look under the section News and you will find these headers>

2008 Trek Teammate Award
2010 Trek Partner Award
2011 Trek Outstanding Partner
2012 Trek Outstanding Partner
2013 Trek Supplier Award
2014 Trek Outstanding Supplier.

sp3000

by sp3000

AJS914 wrote:
lone wheeler wrote:(I've heard the rumour than Colnago C60's are also produced by Giant - not that I believe it...) :shock: :D

I've never heard that rumor and it would be a giant PR problem for Colnago if it was true and it got out. I mean their whole marketing effort for this $6000 retail frame is "fully handmade in Italy". If it wasn't, it would be a disaster.

It's no secret that the lugs and the tubes on the C60 come from asia (using very high quality carbon) and are then glued together by hand and painted in Italy. There is a nice video on youtube by Colnago showing how they glue them. Basically have boxes of parts they grab and assemble. C60 is nice quality but still manufactured in asia with assembly in Italy..

mattr

by mattr

There was an image on one of the openly taiwanese manufactured brands facebook feeds with a labelled box of colnago bits in the back ground......

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Good info! Whether it's China or Taiwan or Wisconsin, whoever is competently making whatever is going on in those Isospeed contraptions, is good at their job.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

RussellS wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:Thanks for that link jlok. Interesting that they also make Trek frames and Bontrager components. More interesting is the fact that they advertise it on their website!

I'm surprised by that too. I would think Trek would limit any pictures or advertising of their brand to only approved sources. Find it hard to believe Trek would promote a Chinese company to advertise its Trek brand. Unless maybe this company is considered a high end Chinese company and only makes the best of the best. Therefore Trek wants it known that they only use the best Chinese company. Pretty sure Trek knows everyone knows that Trek makes most/all of their stuff in China. So actively promoting that nothing is made in China only applies to one or two companies in the whole world. Everything is made in China now.

Not everything is made in China nowadays. Every single frame has the sticker on the down tube of its origin.

High end Chinese company? There's no such thing. Cycling aside, "Made in China" labeled itself as the worst reputation around the world. This didn't happen overnight.
It's all about quality control that require babysitting 24/7 at those production factories.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

RussellS wrote:

Everything is made in China now.

Not Time frames.

kgt

by kgt

+1
There are still many manufacturers who choose not to produce in China. Some of the most interesting frames are not made in China and certainly the best made ones are not made there either.

stormur

by stormur

Frames production process has been moved to far east not because of know-how, but because of low price workmanship. That's not a secret . I see also certain difference between own factory there, and outsourcing process to 3rd party. It applies also to quality ( so called in many cases ) control. In time CF process evolved, did quality of final prodcut did as well ? I don't see it.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

jlok

by jlok

I don't know you but I'd stop buying the top models from Canyon. SL grade, maybe.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

guyc

by guyc

http://inrng.com/2017/02/rival-brands-same-factory-oem/

"....Last year the BikeBiz website had a good article on the production of frames in China and used three labels to describe frame manufacturing in China: cream, competent and cowboy. The cream refers to the likes of Quest Composites, not mentioned by name in the piece but the kind of firm making premium frames at the pinnacle of the market. Competent makers are producing for mid-ranking brands. The cowboys are probably behind those too-good-to-be-true frames you see on websites like Ebay or Alibaba. The Bikebiz article lists various OEM manufactuers: “Keentech Composite Technology, which makes carbon frames for Cervélo. G&M Carbon Components makes for BMC. Pinarello frames are made by Carbotec Industrial of Taiwan and China, in the carbon business since 2004. Scott… …in the Giant factory” and these are all examples of the cream of the crop. So you can have some of the best products in China alongside the fakes and fails, altogether less reassuring than, say, Made in Switzerland......"

ku_hi

by ku_hi

My Bianchi Infinito CV 2015 - Made in China.

I mean my ex Infinito CV - right now waiting for warranty replacement.

BTW - I am wainting "only" 2 months :shock:
You only live twice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com