Who produces Canyon frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

Curious what was exactly wrong with your Infinito. Can you tell me?

Btw these Bikes are made in batches in limited amounts.
Brands need to buy production time with manufacturers and are set on a waitinglist, they need to wait on their turn.
From experience I know Bianchi has very few extra bikes in stock for warranty issues. So waiting for 3 months is sadly nothing special.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Canyon is not different from other brands.

It researches and engineers frames and outsources mass production of its lineups.

Any mass-manufactured products need quality control, especially when changing prototypes to commercial products. However, many brands outsourcing their frames offshore simply lack the critical step to ensure their quality.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

Well at least I know for sure who and where my Lynskey frame was made.

BRM

by BRM

And their forks are made in? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Chinaaaaaaaaaaa :-P

ku_hi

by ku_hi

BRM wrote:Curious what was exactly wrong with your Infinito. Can you tell me?

Brands need to buy production time with manufacturers and are set on a waitinglist, they need to wait on their turn.
From experience I know Bianchi has very few extra bikes in stock for warranty issues. So waiting for 3 months is sadly nothing special.

Mine Infinito cracked.
15mm long crack, near seat tube water bottle mounts.
I am not at home right now and I dont have pictures, but I can post them.

Problem is that Bianchi confirmed that they have replacement frame in that size and colour on stock in Italy.
So, you still think that 2 months is normal ?
You only live twice

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Concerning C60, according to Colnago lugs and tubes are produced in Italy,it is not only assembled there.

BRM

by BRM

ku_hi wrote:
BRM wrote:Curious what was exactly wrong with your Infinito. Can you tell me?

Mine Infinito cracked.
15mm long crack, near seat tube water bottle mounts.
I am not at home right now and I dont have pictures, but I can post them.

Problem is that Bianchi confirmed that they have replacement frame in that size and colour on stock in Italy.
So, you still think that 2 months is normal ?

Sure Im interested in a pic, so if you can upload or pm maybe.
When they have a replacement then 2 months is on the limit i would say, if i were you I would made a call to your contact in this.

robertbb

by robertbb

Timely post. I'm in Australia. Mid-last year I purchased a Canyon Ultimate CF SL (not the SLX). On delivery and after pulling out of the box, I found a chip in the fork crown. Canyon shipped me an advance replacement full frame/fork (but put a hold on my Credit Card) and put me in contact with a courier to arrange pickup of the damaged one (to be shipped back at their own expense). I deliberately arranged the pickup for a few days after scheduled delivery of the replacement, so I had two of these frames in my living room over a weekend.

In short, the finish quality between the two was night and day. The fork on the replacement was fine, and I kept it. However, the frame was of such bad finish I decided to keep the original frame, which was extremely well finished.

Problems with the second frame:
1) The water bottle nuts on the seat tube weren't straight/vertical! They were off by a few degrees; I mounted a bottle cage and put a bottle in... it looked completely off.
2) There was also some touch-up paint (or paint spill) on the nuts on both seat tube and down tube.
3) There was what appeared to be a thumb print (!!!) of black paint on the downtube. As though someone had literally picked the frame up with paint on their thumb...
4) Canyon use a 3K weave on the head-tube/BB and a UD weave on the tubes (which can be seen through the Matt finish). As such, inside the bottom bracket and head tube, you can make out the transitions from these 3K tube joins as they transitions to UD. In this frame, the transitions looked uneven and a bit piecemeal.

The frame I kept had absolutely none of the above flaws in finish. Everything was aligned straight, paint was perfect and the transition of carbon weaves was clean and symmetrical. The fork from shipment A and the frame from shipment B built up well, and, frankly I am absolutely in love with the ride. Comfortable, stiff, and handles incredibly well (nice and nimble at slower speeds and somehow magically becomes more planted when descending at high speeds). The geometry and sizing of the M just *clicks* and it's the most comfortable I've felt on a bike. My buddies have commented that my position looks really "Pro" and yet it doesn't feel like I'm particularly stretched out or inconvenienced to achieve this. My old TCR killed my neck/shoulders no matter what I tried.

My only gripe is that there *is* a creaking from the BB... only when out of the saddle and climbing... and I'm going to have this investigated by my mechanic in the next few days. Will be sure to post an update.

This bike runs Chorus. I'm thinking of building a wet-weather/indoor trainer bike with Potenza, and am leaning towards the Ultimate AL. I'd be very confident in picking up one of these, but having seen two of the carbon frames show up at my door with such differences in finish would make me think twice about going the carbon route again. That said, Canyon does have a no questions asked returns policy - I could always order a handful and pick the best frame/fork ;-)

sp3000

by sp3000

Very disappointing that you had to go through that! Do you have any photos?

robertbb

by robertbb

Yes I do.. in particular of the painted on thumb print ;-)
Will dig this up and post soon.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

More importantly did you weigh them both? :lol:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

RyanH wrote:I think he means that if you take a peak inside the frames of different models from Scott, they all look like this:

What that is implying is that Scott is at least using the same manufacturer and most likely ensuring all models are built using the same method.

My eyes are bent. I can't make out exactly what's inside that head tube.

I'm also not following the commentary on Scott. Is it implied they're built by Giant, too?

robertbb

by robertbb

5 8 5 wrote:More importantly did you weigh them both? :lol:

But of course. The one I kept came in 5g lighter. *phew*. :thumbup:

wingguy

by wingguy

Johnny Rad wrote:I'm also not following the commentary on Scott. Is it implied they're built by Giant, too?

Aluminium Scott's are made by Giant. I don't think the carbon ones are, but I'm not sure.

guyc

by guyc

wingguy wrote:
Johnny Rad wrote:I'm also not following the commentary on Scott. Is it implied they're built by Giant, too?

Aluminium Scott's are made by Giant. I don't think the carbon ones are, but I'm not sure.

'Take Giant, for example. As well as making ultra-high-quality Giant-brand carbon frames in its two C-Tech composites factories – one in China, one in Taiwan – it makes for companies such as Scott, Colnago, and many others....'

'Cream factories include Topkey of Taiwan, which makes carbon frames for Specialized and Cannondale. It bills itself as the "largest carbon bike manufacturer in the world", with an annual production of 200,000 frames. It has been making carbon frames since 1994, and also makes most of the world's high-end carbon tennis racquets, a business it has been in since 1980. One of Topkey's subsidiaries is Keentech Composite Technology, which makes carbon frames in China for Cervélo. G&M Carbon Components makes for BMC. Pinarello frames are made by Carbotec Industrial of Taiwan and China, in the carbon business since 2004. Scott's cheesy but informative video was, in fact, shot in the Giant factory. China's Quest Composite Technology makes bike frames for Trek and Canyon.'

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cream- ... -it/019441

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com