Who produces Canyon frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'm just curious. I work in a bike store and we've had quite a few Canyons with problems.
They come to us as its easier than sending them to Germany.
Also there's no secret with pricing, they're saving money somewhere other than direct to consumer so I'm guessing the frames are perhaps s step behind the bigger brands.
From a hands on mechanic perspective they seem slightly below some of the real top stuff.
Also the frames all seem different unlike say a Scott, the Solace, Addict and Foil all look very similar inside, not so much with Canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

tarmackev wrote:Also the frames all seem different unlike say a Scott, the Solace, Addict and Foil all look very similar inside, not so much with Canyon.

What do you mean by this? Like less stringent quality controls?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

I am interested in what kind of problems they come with to your shop? Also, what do you mean by being step behind, can refer to whatever. Why not give a bit more specific information. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I think he means that if you take a peak inside the frames of different models from Scott, they all look like this:

What that is implying is that Scott is at least using the same manufacturer and most likely ensuring all models are built using the same method.

jeffy

by jeffy

i believe Giant

wingguy

by wingguy

jeffy wrote:i believe Giant

Any source on that? I've seen photos from Giant factories with a lot of different companies' boxes being packed, but I haven't seen Canyon's involved. It also wouldn't explain the OPs assertion that the finishing isn't very good, but for all I know that could just be pot stirring, never looked inside one myself!

Mackers

by Mackers

Couple of years ago I too was told the aluminum Canyons were built by Giant.

wingguy

by wingguy

Mackers wrote:Couple of years ago I too was told the aluminum Canyons were built by Giant.

OK, could well be (in which case I'd expect the build quality to be pretty good!). Not at all unusual for companies to use different manufacturing partners for alu and carbon though, and pretty sure the OP was mostly talking carbon...

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I've seen mentioned several places separately that Canyon are produced by Giant. Couldn't tell you whether that's for alloy and/or carbon nor where I came across those mentions. /shrug

Just for kicks, this is what the inside of a Canyon HT looks like. Please excuse the grimy bearings.
There are some markings and QC labels in there that might indicate the frame's origin, but I didn't have the foresight to photograph them.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

It's not a secret,that one brand producing their frames in other brand factory. Like Specialized. Specialized is producing (and few others brands too) in Merida factory. Why??,beacouse for them it's cheaper,and easier to get support in one of the biggest (or the biggest) company who producing carbon frames,and other carbon stuff.

ichobi

by ichobi

Giant makes Canyon. A fact. Source: The biggest importer of Giant in S/E Asia get to walk inside a Giant factory and see racks of Canyon Aeroad frame fresh out of molds ready to be painted. I talked to exes of this importer who were there. No reason to not believe them.

I also ride Canyon and I disagree if the quality is any lower than any other top shelf brands. In fact, testing various high end bikes, I would say Canyon is one of the best in the market in most key areas you want a racing bike to perform. - Stiffness, Comfort, Handling, Paint Finish and serviceability.

The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX rides better than Specialized S-Works Tarmac and Trek Emonda SLR (to me at least) and their Aeroad felt slippery and more comfortable than most aero bikes in the market, while retaining some good bb and ht stiffness. (I tested Cervelo S2 S3 S5, Venge, Venge Vias, F8, C60, Bianchi Specialiisima, Tarmac, Giants, All Storck racing models, Sarto, etc etc - a perk of running online cycling site you get to test cool stuff.). I found only Madone 9 and Scott Foil ride equal or better than Aeroad. Most of all Canyon is the cheapest in these offering. Check Tour test results for more objective review and you will find similar conclusion.

Why they can sell it cheaper? They sell direct. No margin sharing with importers and dealers, which means per bike sold Canyon should earn margin 2-3x than most bike brands. That's enough to retain any production quality and have decent profit.

kgt

by kgt

I don't know if Giant makes Canyons or not but certainly the quality of a high end Giant frame is way better than that of an SLX.

sharkman

by sharkman

kgt wrote:I don't know if Giant makes Canyons or not but certainly the quality of a high end Giant frame is way better than that of an SLX.

I can second that but cheaper giants are produced in china and the high end propel/tcr sl frames come from taiwan

kgt

by kgt

So maybe Canyons are made in China like 'second-class' Giants.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

So if this is true then, even though I have a Canyon Ultimate AL and a Colnago C60, I actually own two Giants?! (I've heard the rumour than Colnago C60's are also produced by Giant - not that I believe it...) :shock: :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com