Who produces Canyon frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toiyuet

by toiyuet

lone wheeler wrote:So if this is true then, even though I have a Canyon Ultimate AL and a Colnago C60, I actually own two Giants?! (I've heard the rumour than Colnago C60's are also produced by Giant - not that I believe it...) :shock: :D

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137054

tomtom

by tomtom

kgt wrote:I don't know if Giant makes Canyons or not but certainly the quality of a high end Giant frame is way better than that of an SLX.

And what is better and why is that never an issue in any test I have read in Dutch, German, Belgian, French and English magazines....?! Seems to me that some people on the forum just unfounded want to "nag" about Canyon, strange :shock: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

tomtom wrote:
kgt wrote:I don't know if Giant makes Canyons or not but certainly the quality of a high end Giant frame is way better than that of an SLX.

And what is better and why is that never an issue in any test I have read in Dutch, German, Belgian, French and English magazines....?! Seems to me that some people on the forum just unfounded want to "nag" about Canyon, strange :shock: !

I own a CF Slx 2014, and I can tell you, the finish (esp. paint) is NOT on par with anything like Scott, Trek or others...

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Delorre wrote:
I own a CF Slx 2014, and I can tell you, the finish (esp. paint) is NOT on par with anything like Scott, Trek or others...

You mean the one in your sig? It's matt black not paint. It's always irregular and occasionally see-through. Or what do you mean by finish?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

topflightpro

by topflightpro

bikemaniack wrote:It's not a secret,that one brand producing their frames in other brand factory. Like Specialized. Specialized is producing (and few others brands too) in Merida factory. Why??,beacouse for them it's cheaper,and easier to get support in one of the biggest (or the biggest) company who producing carbon frames,and other carbon stuff.

That's because Merida owns 49% of Specialized.

Delorre

by Delorre

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
Delorre wrote:

You mean the one in your sig? It's matt black not paint. It's always irregular and occasionally see-through. Or what do you mean by finish?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yep, that one. Indeed, its's a matt finish, but, the finish was very uneven, going from satin to almost 3000 grid rough in some places. And, the mat finish turnedvery easyly into satin or gloss on places where there is some rub from clothing, such as top tube. After a few months, I decided to redo the whole frame with some heavy rubbing compound, followed by a finishing coumpound to get an even, satin finish. It tourned out really well and now at least, the finish remains as is. The more recent Slx bkies I saw at bike shows seemed to be better finished as mine I have to admid, so maybe they solved that 'problem'

tarmackev

by tarmackev

RyanH wrote:I think he means that if you take a peak inside the frames of different models from Scott, they all look like this:

What that is implying is that Scott is at least using the same manufacturer and most likely ensuring all models are built using the same method.

This is what I mean.
Recently we had a creaky Canyon, we tried everything and eventually stripped the frame completely. When we put lateral force through the frame it creaked, just a creaky frame.
We've had two Canyon frames in for routine services and that had small cracks, no crash, just cracks on the chain stay and seat stay respectively.
Both were warrantied by Canyon I believe.
We've had another in recently that seemed to have residue in the frame that snagged an internal cable, it took my colleague forever to sort it.
I was told by Giant HQ in the UK that they made Canyon frames, later while talking too a guy at Trek HQ in the UK he informed me that Giant definitely aren't making the frames.
I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

lone wheeler wrote:(I've heard the rumour than Colnago C60's are also produced by Giant - not that I believe it...) :shock: :D

I've never heard that rumor and it would be a giant PR problem for Colnago if it was true and it got out. I mean their whole marketing effort for this $6000 retail frame is "fully handmade in Italy". If it wasn't, it would be a disaster.

sawyer

by sawyer

I've owned two Giants and two Canyons and I'd take Canyon any day

Both have seemed pretty good quality if not perfect to me however. Obviously both are ridden to the highest standard in professsional cycling

I have heard of a few more failures over the past couple of years with Canyons, but then there are far more of them around

More a question of ride characteristics

I too have heard the rumour re Colnago produced by Giant
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

It would make sense that Giant makes them as they both ride very stiff and very dull.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

sawyer wrote:I too have heard the rumour re Colnago produced by Giant

Giant definitely makes some of the conventionally moulded Colnagos. Given how it's made I don't see where they'd be involved with the C60 though.

sawyer

by sawyer

KWalker wrote:It would make sense that Giant makes them as they both ride very stiff and very dull.

That's my experience with TCRs too ... Canyons are pretty lively by comparison
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Hovis

by Hovis

I have an aeroad SLX and the attention to detail and quality of finish is top notch...

haydos

by haydos

It's my understanding that Giant makes all Colnago's except for the c60 and Master.
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

They make all Colnagos that don't look like a Colnago. That makes sense...