Do you ride with light? Any recommendation?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seanmolin

by seanmolin

I use lights in poor weather and in the evening. As someone else said, during training what's a few extra grams? These things are BRIGHT:

(Red, Rear): https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechargea ... bike+light

(White, Front): https://www.amazon.com/BRIGHT-Blitzu-Cy ... SGHRBB8ZH1

The spread is pretty wide on the white one, so depending on your needs, you may want a spot that shines farther forward if you ride in REALLY dark places.

Lugan

by Lugan

Some of these little cheap lights for daytime use are useless because they cannot compete for brightness against full summer sun. For that condition, I use a Dinotte Quad Red rear (mounted on my helmet in a visible way so I can bring it with me on every ride across 4 bikes) and a Quad Amber front on my main summer road bike. I run both at full blast in midday sun, and lower settings in lower light conditions. The goal for me is to be seen, for example, by someone pulling out of a driveway or street when I am hurtling down a curvy road at 40 MPH (front light), or to wake up a teenager coming up behind me on a climb while (s)he is texting on a mobile device and coming up behind me (rear light). For that, you need a super bright light that can compete with sun and catch attention through peripheral vision.
Last edited by Lugan on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

seanmolin wrote:I use lights in poor weather and in the evening. As someone else said, during training what's a few extra grams? These things are BRIGHT:

(Red, Rear): https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechargea ... bike+light

(White, Front): https://www.amazon.com/BRIGHT-Blitzu-Cy ... SGHRBB8ZH1

The spread is pretty wide on the white one, so depending on your needs, you may want a spot that shines farther forward if you ride in REALLY dark places.

^^Thanks for posting this. These appear to be rebranded Raypal 2266 lights (26 LED, 168 lumen claimed), and a significant upgrade over the Raypal 2261/2263 lights (16 LED, 100 lumen) that I currently have. I will be buying one soon.

stockae92

by stockae92

I have been looking and seems like Knog Blinder 1 (front and rear) are the lightest light that (kinda) works.

I guess my weight weenie won the case and I am going to give them a try.

superdx

by superdx

sawyer wrote:I'm a big believer in lights in poor light conditions, but does using a light in good light conditions actually make any difference?

Many scientific studies done on Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on automobiles show increased awareness from other drivers. Teslas, BMWs and Audis now have default DRLs enabled even in countries that don't require them. Think GM equips DRLs even not legally required to do so as well.

Motorcycles are required to run headlights in many developed countries. It only logical that a bicycle, which is even smaller and harder to see, would benefit from running lights during the day.

glepore

by glepore

Blackburn flea front (just had waldo develop a mount) and cygolite 100 rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kode54

by kode54

kervelo wrote:Check the Lupine product range. I use Wilma and Rotlicht during the autumn, when the sun sets early.

yup. i use a Piko in the front. its bright enough for early morning rides...while i use the blinky mode for daylight riding. i use the Rotlicht for the rear with saddle rail mount. everything tucks in nicely without the use of rubber bands on the seat post. i've lost a few rear lights that way. also, being rechargeable saves on those odd coin batteries...which can add up depending on how much riding you do. i keep it on all the time. there's a light sensor for day and night mode...and also, i like the accelerometer which switches on solid when braking, like a car's tail light.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

trimenc

by trimenc

I use the Lezyne micro drive 450 front and a rear Strip Drive Pro. I do love that they are USB rechargeable and bright. I am probably going to upgrade to their new Macro Drive 800 just to have a brighter light. The new line goes up to 1500 lumens! They are very durable and have all of the settings you could want.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I'm riding with two Knog Blinders: MOB KID GRID (80lm) in the front and MOB MR CHIPS V (44lm) in the back. Found them perfect for everyday riding - I don't want to mess with the law (you have to have the lights here, in Poland). Really light, fit most of the handlebars and seatposts (you get 3 straps with different lengths). They don't protrude too much and the bike looks pretty clean, almost as if I didn't have lights at all. I can charge them in work, they got integrated USB plug. They seemed to work some time after the dusk too. I wouldn't really recommend riding with them in the night, but I found them perfect for everyday riding.

willmac

by willmac

Exposure trace and traceR are fantastic and bullet proof of you want small and removable lights. At this time of year, a dynamo hub and supernova e3 pro and rear can't be beat. Light all the time and never have to worry about recharging them. Not weight weenie but I don't know many people attempting records at this time of year. Most proper training is on the trainer in Denmark and the road is base miles where an extra couple of watts drag doesn't make any difference

russianbear

by russianbear

sawyer wrote:I'm a big believer in lights in poor light conditions, but does using a light in good light conditions actually make any difference?

80% of collisions between bikes and cars happen during the day. Whatever improves your visibility and helps compete with the drivers playing pacman on their phone improves your safety.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

russianbear wrote:

80% of collisions between bikes and cars happen during the day. Whatever improves your visibility and helps compete with the drivers playing pacman on their phone improves your safety.

For the past seven years, I've used front and rear blinkies on all my daytime solo rides. Saved my neck on countless occasions, although a good number of motorists still did not see me. :unbelievable:
Oldbie

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

jeffy wrote:+1 Flare R. The hype is real. Even on the low setting they can be seen from ridiculous distance.

Light and Motion front using go pro garmin combo mount by k edge

I have a simar setup. L&M Front, though using a Bar Fly mount instead of K-Edge. And I recently switched to a Flare-R from a Lezyne rear light. I like the Flare-R better.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have a Magicshine 1000 lumen I use on most night rides, it has a large battery that mounts to the stem. I got a Hope universal mount for it that is much much better than the rubber band mount.
I also have a Cygolite Metro 400 because I wanted something smaller with integrated battery, but I use it mostly for day time flasher.
I didn't like having it on my handlebars so I got this out front mount that holds both my Garmin Edge 500 and the Cygolite below it. Its really solid and you don't even know the light is there. My tail light is an Axiom Pulse 60 (Performance Bike) and I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB ... UTF8&psc=1

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Multebear wrote:
stockae92 wrote:
Not looking for something to light up the trail for night riding or anything, just something that says "I am riding here, give me my space" :)

Seriously, if you are riding at night, then you are not racing, you're training, and then you really don't need something light. Safety trumps lightweight any day, which means big powerful lights.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bike-Lig ... 755992ca14

Huh.

Apparently 24hr races aren't actually races, then?

News to me.

Using a ITUO Wiz XP2, and Bontrager Flare on the rear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com