Campagnolo 2015 ultra torque ti/steel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

Can you mix left crank arm steel (record) and right crank arm ti (super record) in the same bike?
Thank you
-=terry=-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willem

by Willem

Lol, why would you want to do that?

The answer is no, as you will get galvanic corrosion between steel and titanium. That is also the reason the Super Record crank bolt is left hand thread, so no one makes the mistake of putting a steel bolt in there which is right hand thread.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I suspect you could. There could be an offset of the splines and the crank angle, but I suspect not. There may be teeth angle differences too, but again, I suspect not.

There are plenty of places that there is ti and steel on a bike that does not cause major catastrophes. Yes, you would need the proper bolt because no matter how hard you try, you cannot start the bolt.

Of course you have your reasons for asking this question, I would certainly ride it if the choice is riding or not.

Willem

by Willem

Butcher wrote:I suspect you could. There could be an offset of the splines and the crank angle, but I suspect not. There may be teeth angle differences too, but again, I suspect not.

There are plenty of places that there is ti and steel on a bike that does not cause major catastrophes. Yes, you would need the proper bolt because no matter how hard you try, you cannot start the bolt.

Of course you have your reasons for asking this question, I would certainly ride it if the choice is riding or not.

How many applications do you know of where you have titanium threads friction tightened to carbon steel threads in excess of a 40NM torque?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Willem wrote: you will get galvanic corrosion between steel and titanium

I'm just stating there are plenty of places where ti and steel are attached. The world still revolves fine and so will the crank if it fits which I believe it would.

wingguy

by wingguy

speedyvelo1

by speedyvelo1

Guys,

Thank you. A friend damage the left arm in a crush and he had the option to get a cheap used left steel arm (on line) same year but Record.

Yes corrosion is a problem when different metals are combined but can be avoided using antiseizes compounds mainly the copper based for TI, aluminum may also be OK. OTOH titanium to titanium like in my SR is susceptible to galling and here the solution is use plain grease and do not overtorque (I use 45 -50).

I will advice my friend to get it (35 dollars vs 800).

Thank you again guys.

-=terry=-

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I do it all the time. I have the power2max Type S Campag power meter which uses the steel Record spindle and I'm constantly swapping it between several bikes on which there is a mixture of Record and Super Record cranks.

jcastillo

by jcastillo

To Mockenrue, I just got a chorus stages PM left side crank arm to pair with my super record drive side crank. I was thinking or returning it, but after reading your post I may try it. Have you experienced any bonding?
Last edited by jcastillo on Fri May 12, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attermann

by Attermann

you can't use the super record bolt because they are reverse thread, i would buy the super record version instead.

jcastillo

by jcastillo

yes correct thanks Attermann. I have modified the original question. Now I am still hesitant about bonding and messing up the TI spindle. Have you tried it?

jcastillo

by jcastillo

I called campagnolo and off course they say don't do it. Which makes me think of all the TI spindle pedals I have used and currently use. No bonding there. Anyways could be a different scenario with the UT spindle. Who knows?!

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

The Stages Chorus crank should've come with the same steel bolt as the standard Chorus crank, so you just use that as normal. As Attermann correctly points out the titanium bolt can only be used with Super Record cranks which use a left hand thread.

I use plain grease and torque to 45Nm. Because I'm regularly swapping my P2M and Stages cranks between bikes, I've yet to leave them installed long enough for any problems (if any) to arise from combining titanium and steel spindles.

Delorre

by Delorre

Not completely on topic, but I'll ask here anyway : I have the previous 5-arm Superrecord TI crankset on my older Canyon. With TA chainrings, it hits sthe scale at 565gr, incl bearings. That's less than 600gr incl BB86 cups. Fairly light. As Stages finally released a left arm for Campa, I'm playing with the idea of pairing a Super Record new style left Stages arm to my 5-arm right crankarm. Should this be possible? Or has campa changed something to the axles with the '15 4-arm cranksets?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I only have one bike left with the five arm crank set and I haven't used my Stages on it yet, but I see no reason why this would not be straightforward. The spindles appear to be unchanged on the new four arm cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com