Rotor 3d+ crank stiffness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xntrickly

by xntrickly

i've been looking at the Fairwheelbikes.com crank testing and appreciating their thoroughness but it got to me wondering if there was any data regarding the 3d+ ?? Has anyone seen how the 3d+ compares to say SRAM Red 22?

Thanks in advance.
My really fast midget Giant Propel Advanced SL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132773&hilit=advanced+sl+propel

cjc

by cjc

I used rotor 3d+ and 3d+ inpower crankset.
Enough stiffness and looking good design. spider and arm is beautiful balance. red bolt point is good too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomColnago

by TomColnago

i have the rotor 3DF crankset which is the forged version of the 3D+, super stiff but use the aero rings if you want a stiff chainset

maquisard

by maquisard

I would highly recommend Praxis chain rings with Rotor 3D+, great combo

xntrickly

by xntrickly

Thanks all. I've been running the 3d+ in a PF86 using the Rotor 4130 bearings. From the data I've seen, the SRAM Red 22 is stiff even with the 24mm spindle and by my estimation, it will be at least 75 grams lighter. The bearing longevity will also be improved by switching to press fit GXP. I run aero qrings but will be trying the Absolute Black chainrings since I use OCP 3 on the qrings and the AB are reportedly stiffer. I am just wondering if anyone has any data to suggest that I might see a performance decrease by moving to the SRAM Red 22 GXP from the Rotor 3d+ ??

Best regards.

Marin

by Marin

Crank or chainring stiffness will not affect performance at all.

Red are the lighest cranks around for sensible money (I have 2 sets) but Rotors look kinda cool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

maquisard wrote:I would highly recommend Praxis chain rings with Rotor 3D+, great combo

This is an old thread, but I found it while looking for a solution to my issue.

I have a Rotor 3D w/ Power2Max PM & Praxis 50/34 110bcd chainrings. The chain saver pin on the outside of the big ring is too long to fit inside of the Rotor drive side crankarm. The pin hits the arm. You might not actually notice this on install, but it will become apparent after you tighten everything up and notice that your big ring is a few mm out of true. The solution is to shorten the pin with a hacksaw or similar.

SO if you have Praxis rings and notice they are out of round, check the pin under the drive-side crank arm for clearance. This is an opportunity to make the bike lighter.