using (110 BCD) inner chainring as outer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

Can you flip inner chainrings and use them on the outside position of a 110BCD crankset?

I realise inner rings do not have the pins and ramps that help transporting the chain up on the bigger ring. But are these really necessary? In particular: what if you run a 34/36 or 38/40 combination, would that actually need pins and ramps?

Why? Well, combine Di2 syncro shift with a 11-40 cassette and 34/36 chainrings and you get a nice range of gears with small steps between the gears you'll be probably be using the most. Not for racers obviously, but real nice for those of us who are not that powerful / like big climbs without killing our knees.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Why don't you just go with Cross gearing? That will be a 46 for the big ring.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Front derailleurs do not work unless there is about 10 tooth difference between chainrings. I have found that Campag typically needs 8, Shimano 10.

RussellS

by RussellS

Peter White Cycles lists most TA chainrings. He shows pinned chainrings from about 53 down to 34, almost all with pins. Pins help upshifting onto the ring. These could all be used in the outer or middle position on triple cranksets. Pins help on triples to get from the inner to the middle. So middle rings are essentially identical to outer rings. So it would be easy with TA rings to get a one or two tooth jump in rings and have pins on the outer ring of a double crank. 35-34, or 37-36 are easy to do with TA rings if you want. And have pins on the outer ring to help shifting up. I advise ordering TA rings from Europe for the lower cost.