Creaky Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

The FSA OS-99 stem on my bike was creaking badly. I regreased the four ti bolts securing the face plate with anti-seize before tightened them to 5NM. The creak was totally gone for almost 2 months. However I noticed the creak came back during this morning's ride. So my question is am I doing anything wrong? Is grease or loctite better for this application than anti-seize. Those bolts came with loctite but I cleaned them thoroughly before putting on anti-seize.

Btw I I tightened the bolts evenly so the gap around the face plate is the same. And I inspected carefully for all cracks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

Similar issues with Ritchey stem and ti bolts. Pata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

do you have any garmin mount installed on the bar? make sure they are not too tight, one of mine was tightened too much, and caused the bar to flex and the stem creak.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

No Garmin mount. I have a PC7 mounted on the bar.

I've just repeated the procedure. But instead of anti-seize, I used Finishline Teflon grease. I rode around the block and creak is gone. I'm hoping it will stay this way for a while.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Sounds like you isolated the noise to a certain area. One time I experienced creaking when the headset sealed bearing did not play nicely with its contact points.
Oldbie

alistaird

by alistaird

I prefer the idea of copper anti-sieze on the bolts to loctite. Hopefully you've cured the problem but I've found with a lot of creaks they return after 12 months :-(

A

sinikis78

by sinikis78

Even though you use grease a lot.... over power make them weak..... I think you had better

equip torque wrench .... and I have the same problem.... noise near the stem...so I suspect stem crack.... a little...

reknop

by reknop

sinikis78 wrote:Even though you use grease a lot.... over power make them weak..... I think you had better
equip torque wrench .... and I have the same problem.... noise near the stem...so I suspect stem crack.... a little...

Are you using any spacers under the stem?
Sometimes those start to creak when heavy load is applied ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sinikis78

by sinikis78

reknop wrote:
sinikis78 wrote:Even though you use grease a lot.... over power make them weak..... I think you had better

Are you using any spacers under the stem?
Sometimes those start to creak when heavy load is applied ...

actually I don't use spacers... but on the handlebar... there are lots of stuff including cell phone case...

I think because of that......