700-series vs hi-mod vs s-works carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikebike

by bikebike

How to compare high end carbon across brands: 700-series vs hi-mod vs s-works)? Will they be too stiff after two hours? Are they essentially the same?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

bikebike wrote:How to compare high end carbon across brands: 700-series vs hi-mod vs s-works)? Will they be too stiff after two hours? Are they essentially the same?

No and No, and you're thinking about this completely back-asswards. Compare the bikes, not what they say they're made of. A 700 Madone is totally different to a 700 Emonda. A Hi-Mod Evo is completely different to a Hi-Mod Synapse. An S-Works Tarmac is completely different to an S-Works Venge.

bikebike

by bikebike

I am actually more focused on comparing hi- mod vs carbon SuSi. S-works vs Pro Tarmac. Will they both be generally about the same. Does stiffer mean less comfort or more comfort or neither. My confusion comes from some people feel the hi end carbons are too stiff and some feel they are more comfortable.

bikebike

by bikebike

I have found it extremely challenging to test any of these deposits in my area. No bike shops have any hi-mod SuSi to test. Similar challenges to SWoks Tarmac and 700 or 600 Emonda. The stores are reluctant to carry inventory. I am literally purchasing a fairly expensive bike without the ability to test. Cannondale company informs me that they have sent two hi-mod SuSi Evo to the entire East Coast , neither in my state. I think I will be happy with any. I was able to test a carbon SuSi Evo and wonder if hi-mod is much different, aside from component/ build differences.

wingguy

by wingguy

bikebike wrote:I am actually more focused on comparing hi- mod vs carbon SuSi. S-works vs Pro Tarmac.

I see. You probably should have said that in your first post then, instead of asking a completely different question!

Realistically you're not going to feel much, if any, difference in comfort at all between mid level vs top level carbon layups. Wheel/tyre choice and pressure would have much more of an impact.

And 2 hours isn't really all that long on a bike. You'd be hard pressed to find any bike that was too stiff for a 2 hour ride, unless you're particularly old, fat and soft! (No offence)

upside

by upside

Typically the higher mod carbon is just lighter... maybe 100-150 grams per frame and that's it. It will not affect the ride quality of the frame and as another pointed out, the tires and wheels make a bigger impact on your ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

those high mod carbon can only be used in certain parts of the bike, the bike will be a combination of all different mod carbons to create a laterally stiff and vertically compliant bike. And that's one of the problem with those chinese open mold bikes, usually they will be made of 100% T700 carbon and ride quality and durability will suffer.