From Shimano to Campagnolo, what does mix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alumen

by Alumen

I am contemplating to take a phased move from my Shimano groupset to a Campagnolo one.

Searching on Google I couldn't find any recent topics or reviews on what could be mixed or not ? I understand there is a challenge with the gears and shifters. What about other parts ?

Given the fact that my chain rings need to replaced soon, I'm considering to start with my cranckset. If... the Campagnolo chain rings are compatible with my Shimano front gear and chain.

What about the brakes and shifters ?

Thanks for your advices :wink:

Bike setup:
Cannondale CAAD10 (so BB30 bracket)
Shimano 2015 11 speed
52/36 Chain rings
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just set that plan aside, indefinitely. Change the plan to this: Continue to use your perfectly running and fully compatible Shimano drivetrain, and if the chainrings need to be replaced, then do that, with Shimano chainrings. In the meantime, save your pennies until you have enough for a complete new groupset of your choosing if you want to make the change. Then do it all at once.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

^ this

shuonz

by shuonz

Moving from 11 speed shimano to 11 speed campy, I believe only cranks, chains and cassettes are compatible - that's from experience.

There might be a performance penalty but I didn't notice anything cuz I'm not a demanding rider.

Brakes may be compatible to the extent that you don't care about optimal braking performance but I can't vouch for that.

Shifters and derailleurs - I don't believe they are compatible at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

chainrings-chain-cassette can remain 11spd shimano

match the rd to the shifters
brakes are compatible as well, I believe.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Yes. If you're into changing the crankset first, that's compatible.

I would then swap shifters and derailleurs. Actually I'd do that before cranks.

After that brakes, and then chain and cassette (includeing casette body, that in case your rear wheel allows it) and you're done.

But as Calnago and shuonz said at some stages there will be a decrease in overall performance that will also depend on your frame to a certain extent.

J00P

by J00P

There is no need to change (11-speed) wheels/cassette, you can continue with shimano (or SRAM).
(esp. since cassets are a lot cheaper @ shimano)
I have campagnolo, but my winterwheel is a 11 sp shimano. Works fine.
Same for the crankset - chain etc. you can combine campagnolo shifters & deraillers with SRAM or shimano cranksets.

BRM

by BRM

Have in mind: buying a group in once is cheaper than separate components.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm more impressed that you are going to wear out your chainrings in just over a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com