23mm max tyre clearance winter bike, yay or nay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Can get some really nice deals on older bikes that don't have enough clearance for 25mms, like 2nd//3rd hand Cervelo r3's 2013, for example.

Really wanted to go 25 or 28 though.

What's your experience of riding 23's in winter?

Also like the r3 because I can use it as a climbing bike any time. Take it on hols, stick a better groupset on there. Not worry as much about the frame getting cracked.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

When I put my "true" 23mm tires like Veloflex or Panaracer on a modern 18c rim, they come out as 25mm.

Conti 23s come out as 25mm on narrow rims already.

Multebear

by Multebear

Shrike wrote:

It's not a problem. It's not as comfy as 25 or 28, but on the other hand, you don't ride as many km during winter.

If you find it being a problem, buy a softer saddle. Or one of those flexing seatposts.

Where I'm from, a lot of people even ride alloy frames like Caad 10 during the winter season. A softer saddle is definitely a must have.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Rode 23mm tyres in the winter (and summer) since I started riding properly in the mid 90's, usually on 15C rims and sometimes 13C, never had issues. 25mm's just don't look right to me but that's probably my age! depends on your weight and local road conditions though. I've lived in the UK (London, Surrey and East Anglia) and always used a touch race tyre like Conti GP4K or Michelin Pro Race and not had any issues in the winter. Usually get about 1 or 2 punctures over the entire winter riding 600-800 miles a month but that's no real bother and I'd rather have the comfier and grippier tyre. Tried "tougher" tyres but find they lack grip and roll badly.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

racingcondor

by racingcondor

You need to consider if you have room for a mud guard as well and if not, is that a problem for you (or the people you ride with).

nycebo

by nycebo

Shrike wrote:Can get some really nice deals on older bikes that don't have enough clearance for 25mms, like 2nd//3rd hand Cervelo r3's 2013, for example.

Really wanted to go 25 or 28 though.

:?:

I have a 2013 Cervelo R3 with 25mm Conti 4000s2 on Shimano c35 wheels and they fit the frame perfectly. If I had to guess, I have 2-3mm of space on either side of the rear wheel next to the seatstays and the front wheel looks to have the same if not even more room.

Give it a shot!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Winter bikes should have properfull length mudguards on proper mounting points be able to run 28mm tyres under the guards and ideally a dynamo front hub for lighting on those dismal days and at night. The cervelo is a race bike. It can take those flappy guards like race baldes which may or may not work on that bike with 25mm tyres.

I ride more in the winter so for me a winter bike has to be proper weather proof.

AJS914

by AJS914

Shrike, I'd say it depends on where you live and what kind of winter conditions you ride in. Having just moved to a place with real fall, winter, and spring weather I'm loving my new Specialized Crux for winter riding. I set it up as a gravel bike with 40mm Clement MSO Xplor tires but with slippery leaves on the ground everywhere I'd much rather be on it than my regular road bike right now, even on a day without rain. In retrospect, a 32mm or 36mm tire may have been a better all around choice but I honestly don't feel like the 40mm tires are holding me back from having a good time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Most important thing for a wet weather bike is full fenders and full flaps, front and rear, that extend to with 5cm of the road. Rear for the people behind you, front for your own feet. If the front doesn't keep the spray off your feet (and most stock fenders don't), then it won't be long before things become very unpleasant. If I had to choose between a bike that could run 25's with no fenders or 23's with fenders I'd opt for the 23's with fenders. Ideally I think 25's with full fenders is best for winter road riding on decent roads. Fatter tires are fine, but then you start treading into a ride experience that's somewhat lacking from a road performance perspective. So depends on what and how you want to ride and how comfortable you want to be. If you're commuting you have different needs than someone who wants to go out and feel all racy even though you have to put up with the unpleasantness of the weather.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ