Frankenbike build, is this a bad idea?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Hey Weenies,

Ok, so I have a Giant TCR SLR frameset hanging around since I jettisoned it for parts and ended up getting myself a Caad12 in any case to match my SSEvo. The Giant is still a great frame (stupidly light for alu in it's size and very stiff in the BB).

I'm thinking of smacking on a disc fork (cheapo ebay) on this thing and running a disc front and normal caliper rear for bad weather, etc. Is this a ridiculously stupid idea to run a different kind of brake front and back?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Will work fine if you can find a fork
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnzwong

by johnzwong

I've done the same on my Defy Advanced SL.

Running a Giant Defy fork up front with TRP HyRd caliper and it works perfectly.

Email me if you're interested in it as am going to be selling the fork, caliper and mount in the next few weeks.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

johnzwong wrote:I've done the same on my Defy Advanced SL.

Running a Giant Defy fork up front with TRP HyRd caliper and it works perfectly.

Email me if you're interested in it as am going to be selling the fork, caliper and mount in the next few weeks.

Cool! only problem is that the TCR SLR is 1 1/2-1 1/8 not 1 1/4 like I'm pretty sure the Defy is, but good to hear you've done it w/out issue. Didn't think to use the HyRd, prob cheaper...

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Please forgive going OT, but how do like the caad12 ultyguy?