Tcr or propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

Ok new bike time and can't decide whether to get a tcr advanced pro 2 or propel advanced 1 both at the moment around the same price in the uk . I'm not a big climber and I know they are very different , what do you guys think .? Cheers

A2ON

by A2ON

So you're not a big climber but what are you ?

Whats your preferred style of riding ? what is the terrain like where you live, what distance do you like to ride ? any events planned ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treetrees

by treetrees

Sorry should of told you more , ok I do club runs which are manic on the way back , some weeks there are climbs but most weeks its just small ramps , typical English roads really . I do the odd sportif , and I normal go on 50-60 mile rides . I have a caad 10 which has a good selection of gears so the new bike will be an addition . Think everyone will say propel ?

A2ON

by A2ON

I ride a Propel and love it they are long bikes so stretch you out but it seems fast. They obviously are an aero road bike so aero should be something your looking into before considering one really with the advanced pro 1 weighing in at 8.2kg standard its not light and to have the weight and not utalise the aero benefits IMO would be pointless. I notice your looking at only the advanced so Ally wheels and All fork steerer etc so this is likely to make it heavier again. All that being said if you like to tuck up and go fast then its a great bike, ive climbed many hills on mine, done a few 100Mi ride and oftern 50+mi'er without a thought for comfort etc so for me its spot on. Somesay its a harsh ride but having never riden another carbon bike that a propel i wouldn't know, ignorance is bliss ?!

If however your not all about speed then the TCR gets HUGE amounts of love on this site and in many many magazines, i think it would make a great all rounder light and still fast if out and out speed / racing is not your primary concern. It also seems more versatile should the but get you for racing or WW as im trying to lighten my propel and its not exactly a great starting point as it is . . .

peted76

by peted76

TCR = second tier frame, 105 groupset, SL Cockpit.
Propel = third tier frame, ultegra, entry cockpit.

100% i'd go with the better frame and upgrade the bits as and when.. unless you can transfer some bits from your old bike.
The entry level propels I've seen feel heavy.

peted76

by peted76

Edit - Stock Propel in XL weighed here at 8050g http://road.cc/content/review/185264-gi ... advanced-1

tomycs

by tomycs

I have a Propel and a Canyon Ultimate, that I guess could be likened to the TCR. I ride on british roads. The geometry of the Canyon gives me more freedom for all my wheelsets and any tyre size that I own (I've only went up to 28mm though). The Propel is mostly 23mm clincher or 25mm tubular bcs of brake cable clearance (maybe Fourriers have a bit more clearance, but most 2015 SpeedConcepts I saw don't). There are some 25mm clinchers that work, but it's at the limit, the 2mm difference that you sometimes get in tyre height across different brands is the difference between rubbing or having 2mm clearance. Then again, I see the 2017 models look slightly different, so maybe they've improved on that front. Anyway, just based on energy saved by using an aero frame vs the convenience of traditional brakes, I'd go TCR.

treetrees

by treetrees

Thanks guys I have Dura ace 9000 mechanical on the caad10 so either bike I would chuck that on . And I have some 60mm carbon clincher but they are not the newer wider models.

A2ON

by A2ON

peted76 wrote:Edit - Stock Propel in XL weighed here at 8050g http://road.cc/content/review/185264-gi ... advanced-1

This cant be used as a weight really as it does not come with the ally aero rims (50mm) that come with basic propels.

I have weighed them and they all have come out heavier than that with aero wheel s

A2ON

by A2ON

treetrees wrote:Thanks guys I have Dura ace 9000 mechanical on the caad10 so either bike I would chuck that on . And I have some 60mm carbon clincher but they are not the newer wider models.

Can you link to the models you're looking at as I know with the propels there are many options depending on the level.

tomycs

by tomycs

peted76 wrote:Edit - Stock Propel in XL weighed here at 8050g http://road.cc/content/review/185264-gi ... advanced-1

Quite the useful link, reading from the comments section, the Propel 2016 models brakes no longer have the brake cable clearance issue that the 2015 models have.

treetrees

by treetrees

the tcr is orange in colour (uk) and propel is black/silver and orange (uk)

treetrees

by treetrees

sorry 2016 models ( I'm at work so a bit rushed)

rlarldhks86

by rlarldhks86

Please purchase to suit your riding style .
All-around : tcr
Aero : propel
I had to buy to enjoy the uphill tcr.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Ok as a 2016 propel advanced 1 user I can say that 2016 model has enough clearance for the 25 clinchers. I got Ritchey Apex II 60mm on them and the bike feels really fast. TCR is more like an all arounder for me but Propel got a better wow factor on roads. 2017 color scheme on propel is better than 2016 color scheme. down side for the propel and all aero bikes. you start to feel the aero effect over 40kph. so its up to you. looking? weight? aero? and group set decision?. they are personal choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com