Canyon Ultimate SLX 2016 DA Mechanical Drivetrain Noisy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Background

I own a Canyon Ultimate SLX 2016 that is 2 months old with full DA 9000 Groupset that I built up myself.

I love this bike, it's really fast, has a great balance and looks great. You can see the details of the build here ->
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

All components are new and have less than 1000 miles

Issue
Excessive noise coming from the chain cassette
I've built up many bikes and consider myself a competent mechanic. 

Symptoms
Chain chatter in certain gears especially 50x14 and 50x13 (metallic sound as though the chain doesn't have any lube on it)
The noise is definitely reduced when using the small ring is 34x14 and 34x13 (I don't ride these gears its just a comparison for the noise)
NOTE this is not the Front Derailleur rubbing as there is 0.5mm gap when in 50-12 and that gear doesn't have this chain chatter and runs smoothly.
The gear change is smooth across the entire cassette

What have I tried so far and checked:

Replaced original Chain HG900 to HG901 - no change
Used Wet lube - Chain-L (reduced some noise - MUCH better than dry lube) but chain chatter still evident
Hanger checked and aligned
Checked Hanger screws correct torque
Replaced cartridge bearings in rear hub - fixed slight play in rear hub - no change to chain noise
All cogs are installed correctly
All spacers are 11 speed
Tried a brand new Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette - no difference
Double checked the cables are running fine

There's no doubt that the carbon wheels and frame amplify the sound but this is supposed to be the best Shimano Groupset and I can't accept that the noise can't be reduced.

All suggestions and comments welcome as having searched the forums, I know I'm not alone with this type of issue.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

I have exactly the same issue on my Specialized with (almost brand new) 6800 Ultegra DI2 drive chain except with HG901 chain (with a SRAM 11spd powerlink) and DA pulley wheels. I have tried most of the same that you have described - I even tried removing a link on the chain since I thought it might be due to the chain not being "tight" but to no avail. I also tried buying a new HG901 chain and it worked fine the first 2-300Km but then the noise slowly appeared on this chain as well. I don't recall having the issue on my old Ultegra chain, but it's been a while so I could remember wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

Just a suggestion .. long shot

any de railer jockey wheel alignment issue at the noisy gear ? jockey wheel play ? possible to change a de railer and try ?

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

probertsqbe wrote:Excessive noise coming from the chain cassette

I'd be interested to hear if you can track this down. I have a similar issue with noisy rear cassette in one or two gears only. That's with a full Ultegra chainset on a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX that I also built up myself. I tweak the rear derailleur cable tension after every ride to try to reduce it. When rotating the cranks in a stand it's barely perceptible, but out on the road it's noticeable.

Have you considered purchasing the Otto Tuning System? That gadget uses an app on your mobile phone and can measure your rear derailleur setup and if the hanger is bent or twisted. Perhaps it might help solve your problem.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

fh8425 wrote:Just a suggestion .. long shot

any de railer jockey wheel alignment issue at the noisy gear ? jockey wheel play ? possible to change a de railer and try ?

It's a possibility but the rear derailleur is only 2 months old so very minimal wear. I'd consider replacing the pulleys with a 3rd party solution if someone else confirmed that it resolves this issue.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

slashdotdash wrote:
probertsqbe wrote:Excessive noise coming from the chain cassette

I'd be interested to hear if you can track this down. I have a similar issue with noisy rear cassette in one or two gears only. That's with a full Ultegra chainset on a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX that I also built up myself. I tweak the rear derailleur cable tension after every ride to try to reduce it. When rotating the cranks in a stand it's barely perceptible, but out on the road it's noticeable.

Have you considered purchasing the Otto Tuning System? That gadget uses an app on your mobile phone and can measure your rear derailleur setup and if the hanger is bent or twisted. Perhaps it might help solve your problem.

Interesting that you've got this issue on Ultegra with a similar setup to mine although that is consistent with other issues that I'd read about.

I saw a review of the Ottoman Tuning System on artscyclery http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... ng-system/

To be honest I wasn't that impressed and it seemed a bit gimmicky and more aimed at less experienced mechanics. Even Greg starts his review talking about the black art of derailleur tuning. It's easy once you understand what all of the components do.

I'm going to take some videos and post later.

Boardman

by Boardman

11 speed Shimano is just plain noisy both Ultegra and 105.

One of the guys I ride with has DA9000 on his new bike and I observed how noisy that was. I was quite disappointed!

The only thing I have found consistently to quiet down my 11 speed drivetrains is to use wax on the chain. This involves stripping every and I mean every bit of lube from the chain with white spirit and once dry apply Squirt dry lube. I apply twice and when dry use a hot air gun to warm up the lube again so it runs via capillary action into all the hard to reach parts of the chain.

I have tried dunking the stripped chain in paraffin wax, but have found this method not as efficient as the Squirt lube method.

You can then just top up the Squirt by applying to the chain as normal.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Boardman wrote:11 speed Shimano is just plain noisy both Ultegra and 105.

One of the guys I ride with has DA9000 on his new bike and I observed how noisy that was. I was quite disappointed!

The only thing I have found consistently to quiet down my 11 speed drivetrains is to use wax on the chain. This involves stripping every and I mean every bit of lube from the chain with white spirit and once dry apply Squirt dry lube. I apply twice and when dry use a hot air gun to warm up the lube again so it runs via capillary action into all the hard to reach parts of the chain.

I have tried dunking the stripped chain in paraffin wax, but have found this method not as efficient as the Squirt lube method.

You can then just top up the Squirt by applying to the chain as normal.

Thanks @boardman I'll get some squirt and give that a try and take note of the prep required to get it thoroughly cleaned.

Attermann

by Attermann

i dont have any noise with 105 shifters, and 105 front derrailleur DA rear derrailleur

Boardman

by Boardman

Attermann wrote:i dont have any noise with 105 shifters, and 105 front derrailleur DA rear derrailleur

Lucky man!

I'm not saying my method will work for everyone, but it works for me and I think I've tried most of the lubes the OP stated in his first post.

Chain=L I found very effective when I rode 10 speed, but with 11 speed I find it doesn't lube that well and makes a terrible mess.

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

Canyon's exploded drawing for the Ultimate CF SLX mechanical R20-14 (PDF) show the liners for the gear cables. I have the rear derailleur cable going down the drive side.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

The Frameset comes from Caynon with liners already in place so you just need to thread the cables through and the remove the liners. The rear derailleur cable went down the drive side.

gryfon

by gryfon

I had the same issue, noise for no apparent reason.

A dowsing with this https://muc-off.com/products/urban-all- ... -chain-oil and peace returns :-)

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

I've posted a video on YouTube to illustrate this noise https://youtu.be/gz9T2ZfXrXk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

I got the same issue on my 2016 Aeroad running Ultegra DI2. It's not as bad as in the youtube clip but still very annoying.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2