Deepest wheels you ride in

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

Enve 4.5's, the u shaped 40-50 MM deep wheels are the perfect do it all wheel IMHO. You don't get the sudden movements that the more traditional v shaped used to get. I'm happy riding on these in anything wind wise

DMF

by DMF

82mm front (old bulbous pre-dimples Zipp/Sram rim) and full disc rear, I'll ride this in any and the worst wind conditions, anytime as long as the forecast is dry and the roads are clear. Usually get about 3-4K km per season on this bike.

I'm 75kg atm, I'll grant you it's a handful in very strong crosswinds, but it's still faster than most no matter wind speed or strength.

And as handling goes, it has way more to do with the rims trailing and leading edges. My old set of 52 Cosmic Carbon SL were way worse than this 82/disc combo in the most adverse wind conditions. That spoke to mid-rim connection is a horrible idea ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

80 boras are fine. ive used them for my commute a few times. less crosswind impact than 50 mm lightweights. and they hold momentum very nice and in general are just very good.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

50 mm pretty much all the time expect for the winter or very gusty days >40mph. I live in a windy area and weight 56 Kg. I was concerned when I got them but have had no issues at all even in groups. I'd like something deeper now.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Geoff

by Geoff

Just for the hell of it, I'll ride my Hed Stinger 9s once and awhile. The 6/9s make more sense, though...

AZK

by AZK

Things like a longer stem & longer reach bars also make quite a noticeable difference, with that being said I think deep sections also tend to amplify to riders attributes. If you're a nervous rider you will be even more nervous.

Recently went out on a ride with one of my friends to test his 80s for an upcoming Tri. We are both around 100kg and he hated it on descents and gusty conditions. I've been riding +80s for 2 years without any sort of handling issue.

Granted at very high descending speeds the old narrow wheels (+/-19mm) tend to smack when you change direction. Rode a 28mm wide HED stinger 6 for a few months, it felt like a 30mm in comparison. magnificent wheel.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For my road bike, 55mm (Easton Aero 55).
100mm stem and i am not getting blown around even though bike weights 5600 grams.
I am weight pending 73-78Kgs.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

80mm LW Fernweg tubular, 15-20kph wind speed with zero issues in handling.
58 to 60kg in body weight.

McGilli

by McGilli

On my Cervelo S5 I run a 88mm full time on the rear and switch between a 24, 38 or 88 on the front depending on the wind...

raylugo

by raylugo

I have a bunch of wheels, including some 38MM carbon hoops, but honestly I dont ride anything but my Dura Ace 7850's because I cannot stand getting blown around in a cross wind. I am not the lightest guy (84kg) so its not about being too light. I am guessing that into a straight on head wind there would be an advantage to a deep section wheel, but I always seem to be dealing with some kind of cross wind and the feeling is just annoying.

My 2cents

Shrike

by Shrike

@raylugo

how long did you ride the 38mm's for, and what sort of wind speeds/gusts were you facing that put you off them d you mind me asking?

I ride cheap Vision 35mms at the moment (alu rim efforts) and the hairiest was 40mph gusts in steady 20mph wind. Last Friday night actually. Wind here was horrible last week.

There were some gusts that were a bit hairy but not much I couldn't really handle. Just surprising for the first few miles as I didn't check the weather! Seemed to settle in though.

In that sort of wind speed I'd avoid going out on big rides anyway as it's slow and not much fun really. Generally speaking I ride out in a 12 to 14mph headwind and enjoy the tailwind back. 20mph is common here too.

Grill

by Grill

Used to have a set of Reynolds Aero 72. Gutted I sold them as they're still the best road wheels I've had (on Enve 4.5 laced to Tune Mig/Mags at the moment).

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

82 Kg here and I ride Ritchey Apex II 60mm all the time. enjoy your ride.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Grill wrote:Used to have a set of Reynolds Aero 72. Gutted I sold them as they're still the best road wheels I've had (on Enve 4.5 laced to Tune Mig/Mags at the moment).

well if you have the new brake track... give me a holler if you wanna off those 4.5s if they are clinchers.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

raylugo

by raylugo

So I typically deal with 40 to 56kph (25 to 35 mph) winds and always across. I find for the most part that there are no issues, as long as the winds are steady, but gusts are just a bit unnerving. I would offer that if I noticed that I was substantially faster with the 38s over the Dura Aces (25mm) then I would probably just live with it, but I am as fast, maybe a little faster with the Dura Aces and I don't have to deal with the annoyance of dealing with gusty winds. Not sure this helps, also, I ride with people that don't seem to mind so from my perspective its all personal preference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com