Deepest wheels you ride in

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I live in windy south FL. I had a set of 80 mm deep Reynolds and used then for a few months. Never had an issue at 90 kg in the very windy days. Found them to be too much of a noodle though.
Have been rising LightWeights and another set of 50 mm deep custom carbon wheels for years without issue. Occasionally use my very shallow carbon Hyperon 2 (mostly very far away trips with tons of climbing), and while I do notice the difference in the wind it's never enough to make me wish I had them on more often.

Conclusion: use whatever!

Grill

by Grill

spdntrxi wrote:
Grill wrote:Used to have a set of Reynolds Aero 72. Gutted I sold them as they're still the best road wheels I've had (on Enve 4.5 laced to Tune Mig/Mags at the moment).

well if you have the new brake track... give me a holler if you wanna off those 4.5s if they are clinchers.

Can't sell them, hubs match my bike. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlarldhks86

by rlarldhks86

The popularity of the bora one35, roval clx40 is very good.

cerb

by cerb

I ride Swisside Hadron 625's (62.5mm deep, 27mm width max., 23mm wide at the rim) as an every day wheel.

I'm 6'4" & 88kg. It's only when the wind gets to 40kph+ I start to notice them catching a bit of wind, even then, I can still handle them fine.

audiojan

by audiojan

ENVE 6.7's on my road bike, Zipp808FC on my tri bike
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

calleking

by calleking

I ride Reynolds Strike SLG 62mm in all conditions. 179cm / 74kg. No issues at all on a road bike. Deep front wheel on a TT bike in TT position might make things a bit nervous though.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

rlarldhks86

by rlarldhks86

The bora one (50 mm) being used with great satisfaction.

mimason

by mimason

I really like deep section wheels(love them actually) and have had Enve 65s for 5+ years and 50k+ km but I like the 50s I am riding currently more. The difference in watts savings is marginal compared to the difference in handling tradeoffs. Mid depth wheels just responds better and feel better than deeper wheels unless top end speed and holding that speed is paramount. That's my $02. If you can have both or a combination of shallow, mid , deep wheels then that is the correct answer. If you are ride quality over metrics minded then shallower probably the better choice.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Zipp 404 (58 mm). If I had only one bike/wheelset I'd not go deeper as the 303s.

You should factor in the rimshape as well. Torroidal 46 mm fells very different compared to 50 mm with V-shape.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

dgasmd wrote:I live in windy south FL. I had a set of 80 mm deep Reynolds and used then for a few months. Never had an issue at 90 kg in the very windy days. Found them to be too much of a noodle though.
Have been rising LightWeights and another set of 50 mm deep custom carbon wheels for years without issue. Occasionally use my very shallow carbon Hyperon 2 (mostly very far away trips with tons of climbing), and while I do notice the difference in the wind it's never enough to make me wish I had them on more often.

Conclusion: use whatever!

Florida is flat you never get serious speeds to know how dangerous it is to ride with really deep wheels with bad wind gusts. Your worse dangers are the insane and careless drivers.

I lived in south florida for 12 years.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

fabriciom wrote:Florida is flat you never get serious speeds to know how dangerous it is to ride with really deep wheels with bad wind gusts. Your worse dangers are the insane and careless drivers.

I lived in south florida for 12 years.

You couldn't be more wrong in all counts if you tried!!!!

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I live in the windy foothills of the Canadian Rockies. As I said a few pages ago I ride 55mm deep and 25mm wide U shaped rims. I only have 2 wheel sets that are 11 speed compatible and the other set weigh 2200g if I remember correctly, so they never go on my bike except on the trainer.
I went to a near by hill recently to do hill repeats and had a very strong gusty side wind. It's rare that I feel my wheels catch more wind than my box rims do on my commuter but this was one of those days. I was alternating between leaning into each side wind gust and feeling like I might fall over when the gust was over. Within a few hill repeats I realized that I was overreacting and I was well within my limits. A few days later I rode a hilly race with a massive descent was able to descend with confidence despite having strong side gusts of wind.
I never feel any steering input from the wind through my wheels except when the direction of the wind against my wheels changes just right I feel a tiny twitch which feels weird but not scary in the least because it is so short in duration and rare. I've only ever felt it during descents with a strong wind passing a yaw of somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees. It is so slight that I cannot imagine anyone being more bothered by it.
Long story short I'm happy with my U shaped 55mm deep wheels in all conditions and can't imagine switching them for any reason. They are 1550 grams light, reliable, stop well, and corner and handle with confidence.
I imagine that the shape/profile matter more than depth. I feel more steering input from my Open Pro box rims and even more on my 30mm deep V shaped narrow aluminium "semi aero" wheels than I do on my 55mm deep U shaped ones.
D

Edit: By strong side gusts I meant 60km/h or so and the normal wind was 45 degrees or more off and 30km/h ish.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Shrike wrote:Is there a wind speed that you would recommend not riding deep sections like these in, or is it too variable, depending on rider weight, handling, experience etc?

For me if the wind speed at the airport was showing above 15mph I knew there would be areas where it would compress and be strong and gusty so I'd swap out my 50mm front wheel for a 24mm wheel. Now my regular wheelset is 50mm rear, 38mm front so I don't have to check the weather and swap out. If your roads are flatter and wider maybe a higher wind speed is okay but where the wind hits me the most is where the road is narrow, twisty with steep descents, and a wall on one side that bounces the wind back at you a moment later (north side of the West Maui Loop). It really takes the fun out of each downhill when you're struggling to stay upright. I would love a more aero wheelset for flatter, calmer rides so if I had them anyway (like you're about to) I'd probably keep them.

sawyer

by sawyer

50mm Boras

Given more time and space for wheels I'd maybe have something deeper. A 70mm wide shaped Bora would be a good thing
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Very happy with my Bora 50! My Lightweight Meilenstein are terrible with crosswinds however.