new bike advice: Custom Ti vs Canyon aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

abuck55ru

by abuck55ru

Hello all,
I am currently planning out a new bike purchase/build and I am searching for some advice from individuals with experience regarding the 2 frame options I am between. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison and it is unlikely that one person has direct experience with both, but answering some of my questions would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on staying with mechanical Campy for the build out. I am 5'11 about 150-160 lbs, FTP around 300.

I currently ride a custom stainless steel Form revel built with campy SR mechanical. It is a very nice bike, with a great ride quality, but I feel it underperforms during hard accelerations when compared to other bikes I have had with similar geometry (scott addict, Indy fab crown jewel, Lemond zurich etc). I had an absolute nightmare dealing with Form cycles with the build. After 6 months with the frame the drop outs and BB started rusting. Form welded standard steel dropouts and BB on bike, not stainless. The bike was sent back to be reworked and it took 1 year to get the bike back. Now Form cycles is no more and I can't say I am surprised with the service I received, so I am somewhat hesitant to return to a custom builder. I have never owned an aero frame, but live in a mostly flat area so the aero advantage is appealing.

The Frame options I am between are Mosaic RT-1 and Canyon aeroad.

Some specific questions about each frame:
Mosaic RT-1:
What was your experience like with the builder?
Do you feel you got the frame with the ride quality you were looking for? can you be specific of what you feel the strengths and weakness of the frame are?
Any regrets with the purchase?
How has the finish held up?
How does bike accelerate during sprint efforts or punchy climbs?

Canyon aeroad:
What is your experience with the integrated stem/HB? Specifically with your fit.
Have you noticed issues, if you are running mechanical drive train, with cable routing or too much friction with housing due to tight bends?
Have you had rusting of seat post binder?
Have you had issues getting replacement parts from Canyon?
Any regrets with the purchase?
Have you noticed speed gains when compared to previous frames?
How does bike accelerate during sprint efforts or punchy climbs?

I really appreciate any feed back I can get. Thank you for your time

Best

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

Hi,

I have never had an Canyon - but have had lots of Stork's and an RT-1.

The Storck/Canyon's will be great Black bikes that perform really well. You won't be disappointed in there performance, and other than recent issues with Canyon customer service (by reports they seem to have grown too fast) long term I wouldn't worry about that.

On the RT-1 - you can make it what you want and as stiff as you want as it is custom. Long Term - if you do any of the fancy finishes (Polishing, etcc) long term durability may not be what you want. Ti won't be entirely rust free (surface rust mainly from stuff sticking to it) over time - any corrosion you get will be removeable - but the removing might affect the finish - if it gets bad though you can always send it back to refresh it. BTW - Mosaic is great to work with.

It sounds like you want something other than a basic black bike.

You might take the route I just did and that is a Custom Painted Parlee ESX/ESX'r. Looks wise it's a love it or hate it thing. Personally I like it and in the Tunnel it tests out better or no worse than Cervelo S5 which is one of the fastest bikes.

They are great to work with and your cost on an ESX'r with Custom Paint will be less than an RT-1. I took the ESX'r (they are going to paint only ESX on it) as it's only maybe 150 grams heavier - but still a lot lighter than an RT-1.

Have fun with your decision!

AJS914

by AJS914

Ti should be rust free! I rode a Litespeed for 17 years and never saw a spec of rust.

I think the first decision needs to be whether you really need custom or not. Does off the shelf geometry fit you? What is custom about the geometry on your current bike? Will you miss that?

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Yes. Ti doesn't rust, as it contains zero iron. Rust = iron oxide. For longevity, a Ti bike can't be beat. My 15 year old Merlin is still going strong. The advantage of a custom bike is that you can make it handle as you want. So I would recommend riding the Canyon, and see if you like the road feel + handling. If not, then your choice is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gryfon

by gryfon

I have a 12 year old Serotta Legend Ti that was custom built for me at the time. I have also run Record on this.
It is a truly gorgeous bike and will certainly outlive me. The finish, build quality and durability are exceptional.
It has always been a jack of all trades. Not outstanding in any one aspect of riding performance climbing/sprinting/comfort etc but really good at all of them and that adds up to a brilliant package.

Until two months ago I bought a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 6.0
No problems at all with the service, bought during the TDF sale at such a great price.
At first I was worried as it felt so fragile in comparison to the titanium.
But, in terms of performance it is like night and day. Things have certainly moved on in 12 years!
The Canyon is just an incredible performer. The two most surprising aspects are how comfortable it is and how well it goes up hills.
I really love the 52/36 - 11-28 gear range. I don't feel that I've gained much speed, but the other benefits far outweigh that. The only minor point is that I'm not a fan of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone WTS Exalith wheels. The run ok but are so easy to induce wheel rub. I wish I'd sold them as new and tried something else, but hey ho, they are still pretty good overall. Currently running 25mm Conti GP 4000 II with michelin latex tubes. Mine has the standard stem/bar combo which I like. I can change things if I wish. No problem with mechanical Ultegra after over a decade on Record. I really like the many options that the hood shape gives. I doubt it will last as long but for now I am enjoying it. It has changed my approach to short punchy climbs. It's such a joy to get out of the saddle and dance on the pedals up over the top, and I'm 47!

I can't emphasise enough though how fantastic a bike the Canyon is, it has completely exceeded all my expectations. I would definitely love to try an Ultimate as well. No regrets at all (except wheels and then only minor). I just want to ride and ride and ride, so it must be a good bike :-)