Dedicated Winter Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'm quite keen to see a BMC Road machine 02 in the flesh.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Interestingly, the BMC Roadmachine 03 alloy model has both mudguard and rack fittings:

http://cyclingrss.com/2016/06/23/birds- ... -paralane/

£1799 with 105 in the UK:
https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmac ... e-EV277890

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Yep and so does the 02 but not the 01 unfortunately. I'm thinking the 02 Ultegra mechanical might suit as the DT wheels look reasonable. Would mean riding Shimano for the first time since 1994 though but could be worth it!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

AndreLM

by AndreLM

How about a Chinese titanium frame? You can get the geometry you want, and the price is probably just slightly higher than an aluminum frame.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

cmcdonnell wrote:The Diverge is a nice bike, just too tall for me unfortunatly

I sized down one framesize as well. [emoji6]

Whatever bike you choose I'd highly recommend to prioritize "wide tires under permanently installed mudguards that are silent". In my experience this is by far the most important feature of a winterbike.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

bontie

by bontie

cmcdonnell wrote:
bontie wrote:Image

Fits full mudguards, has discs and has a short headtube.

http://www.engineeredbikes.com

That's a nice bike. Which model is it and was that an off the peg build? I've run chorus or record in the winter and see no reason why not. My current winter bike has chorus on from 2004, it's done >60K miles and I've barely touched anything.

Sorry for slow reply - thats officially a donder, so alloy frame, but we got slightly carried away so ended with a carbon seattube, internal cabling, flat mount disc tabs, interchangeable dropouts (qr and ta) and best of all threaded bb.

So non standard but David was a joy to work with, his passion is almost tangible.

Oswald

by Oswald

I use my 16 year old Giant tcr alu with 9 speed Dura Ace. I don't see the point of getting a new winter specific bike. Riding on Belgian winter roads will make any new bike wear out very quickly. Once I'm thru my stack of 9 speed cassettes, I may retire the bike and use my BMC GF01 for winter rides. And of course get a new summer bike :D But for now, the tcr just keeps on going. I always ride thru the winter, but if it get's really cold and nasty, I will do an extra swim session or indoor trainer ride instead of a road ride.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Been using the CAAD 3 as my winter bike for many years now.
Installed a downtube shifter on the right hand side so I can use any wheel cogset combo.
Would be nice to have full wrap fenders.

Image Image

showdown

by showdown

Here in Chicago we have pretty nasty winters but this doesn't stop us from riding outdoors all year.

After trying many different frame options I settled on a titanium frame from Motobecane (Chinese made) because it is:

1.) cheap - I picked up a used frame on eBay for under $800 USD
2.) titanium and impervious to salt - I've had aluminum bikes crack and carbon bikes fail at the metal-to-carbon bonds
3.) can run disc, canti or road brakes - I currently run canti brakes so I can use my stable of wheels - I'm not a huge disc brake fan.
4.) can take a beating - the ti can hit the road and not get damaged.
5.) can fit very wide tires- I've gotten up to 34mm studded tires with clearance still remaining.

The parts are all Rival and fairly cheap and easily replaced when they get damaged. The bike with fenders, 32 hole powertap wheels, and entry-level components is pretty heavy. This is helpful when the wind whips up and for training purposes- on winter group rides with guys on full summer racing rigs and carbon tubulars I routinely get the hardest workouts of the year save for racing.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I purchased a Cannondale SuperX with Sram Rival 1 with a 40T and a 11-32 cassette, hydro disc and 700cx35 knobby tires. I purchased a set of Zipp 30 Course and put on a set of Bontrager AW2 700cx32 tubeless tires so i can ride it on the streets.

It's great in the cold weather and in the rain.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

oldnslow2 wrote:I purchased a Cannondale SuperX with Sram Rival 1 with a 40T and a 11-32 cassette, hydro disc and 700cx35 knobby tires. I purchased a set of Zipp 30 Course and put on a set of Bontrager AW2 700cx32 tubeless tires so i can ride it on the streets.

It's great in the cold weather and in the rain.

I bought an Orro Terra Gravel in the end. Alu frame, 105 hydraulic disc g/set, proper mudguards with 28mm tyres.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

oldnslow2 wrote:It's great in the cold weather and in the rain.
No it's not. You'll get soaked riding that in the rain. So will anyone with you.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

mattr wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:It's great in the cold weather and in the rain.
No it's not. You'll get soaked riding that in the rain. So will anyone with you.

I tried 2 different sets of fenders, neither fit well.

I ride solo and if you wear the right cloths, you don't get wet.

ergott

by ergott

Winter bike for me means; mudguards, bigger tires, disc brakes, and lights. The rack is for commuting.

Bigger tires like these run much lower pressure and are less likely to puncture. Punctures in the freezing cold suck. The lights are necessary since I ride before dawn a lot. The mudguards because they sand the roads and the bikes become a real mess without. The brakes because that same grime kills rims and also makes for disgusting rims when if you have to change a tube on the road. For ice and snow I'll stay indoors or take out a mountain bike.

The fit is very close to my normal road fit.

(front fender line has since been cleaned up)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Love your bike. Tough looking sucker. Probably indestructible.

Image[/quote]
Oldbie