Dedicated Winter Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

After years of using a summer bike with SKS Raceblades or Crudguards fitted, I'm contemplating adding a "proper" winter bike to the stable. So far, I'm thinking that these are must-haves:

- disc brakes, preferably full hydraulic
- mudguard mounts
- rack mounts
- clearance for at least 28mm tyres with mudguards fitted

I'm not too fussed about frame material - it seems to be a choice between cheaper alloy and more expensive steel if you want full mounts. I am struggling to find something with similar geometry to my summer bike (Cannondale Supersix) - most of the manufacturers seem to assume that winter = an armchair ride...

So any suggestions that meet the above criteria? I'm also curious as to what kind of bike everyone else uses once Autumn is upon us again...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Kinesis 4S Disc. Satisfies all your criteria. I've used the original version (TK3) for two winters now and it's more than good enough, and not excessively heavy.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I use a Niner RLT 9 that I bought as a frame and built up with Ultegra mechanical/R685 hydraulic brakes. I love it. It's a gravel/whatever they are marketing that sector as these days bike, but has loads of tyre clearance and good geometry. I'm currently running 40s that come up around 45mm on my rims and I still have clearance for guards(just). I prefer a gravel/CX bike for winter because if it snows I can stick some knobbly tyres on and still ride.

The 59cm frame that I use has a 585mm top tube and 185mm head tube, so fairly long and low compared to a lot of road bikes these days. The only disadvantage for me is the slack head angle, 72 degrees in my size, makes the turn in a bit slower than I'd like.

BRM

by BRM

markgoldstein wrote:
I am struggling to find something with similar geometry to my summer bike (Cannondale Supersix) - most of the manufacturers seem to assume that winter = an armchair ride...

Or you are not flexible enough to see that a winter bike can be a bike with different ride qualities and geometry. . .

:wink:

RussellS

by RussellS

What do you mean by "winter" bike? Based on your description of your ideal bike, I am guessing we are at very opposite ends of the scales. You seem to think a "winter" bike is a bike you use when its maybe not sunny and above 80 degrees. Oh my!!!! To me "winter" means snow and ice and temperatures below freezing. Very different bikes required. In winter I use an old 1970s single speed with 35mm studded tires and a couple of those plastic add on fenders. Cantilever brake on the front only. It gets me from point A to point B when required. Your "winter" seems like a cool summer day to me.

mattr

by mattr

I use a kinesis racelight tK and my wife has a t. Geometry is only mildly different from their race frames.

Get one of the current disc models and you won't go far wrong. Not expensive either.

And ignore Mr Grumpy, everyone else knew what you meant by the spec.
(35mm studs wouldn't get me out of the drive here, need full on snow gear for 2 months of the year. I've still got a winter bike.)

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

I mean a British winter, so mostly wet, cold and occasionally icy...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

romalor

by romalor

buy a caad12 disc frame set from sigma sport uk
for 840 euro approximately

and then build it as your want
nearly same geo
best bang for buck

bmCube

by bmCube

trek crockett disc

deltree

by deltree

romalor wrote:buy a caad12 disc frame set from sigma sport uk
for 840 euro approximately

and then build it as your want
nearly same geo
best bang for buck

FYI the disc version of the frameset looks like an absolute nightmare to mount full mudguards.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kenesis 4S disc or genesis equilibrium disc.

Kenesis do a titanium frame too which means no corrosion ever.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

If you are in the UK, get a Kinesis... Or perhaps just pick up a cross bike....?

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Keeping the same geo, whilst adding larger tyres and guards doesn't really work as you'll need longer stays, different fork length/rake potentially. But a "racey" bike that can take guards you might want to look at Mason bikes or Kinesis

Alternatively I've found that Portland design works full metal fenders to be a pretty solid bolt on fender that would probably fit your super6
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I gave up last year looking for a winter bike as nothing seems to suit. I agree that the Kinesis bikes look great if they fit. I was keen on a GF Ti Disc but the smallest size has a stack 15 mm more than my normal bike and it made me really hunch my shoulders. I find it strange that some people think they should ride different geometry in the winter (unless you are riding off road or on icy roads maybe) as in the UK conditions are mostly the same as the summer just muckier and wetter. If you have a comfortable summer bike (maybe after x000's miles and / or a bike fit) then surely you want the winter bike to feel the same. It's a real bug bear of mine as even summer bikes seem to be getting taller at the front and shorter in reach, I suppose in response to most cyclists who buy expensive bikes being middle aged and probably unfit/overweight. I was interested in a Trek Madone but would need the H1 geometry and that would mean paying extra; why should I have to pay extra for what is the standard fit. yes I know it's all down to economics but it's still annoying; the paradox that when you can afford a race bike it doesn't fit you any more.

For me the perfect winter bike would be the Specalized Tarmac Disc but it can't easily take guards so no improvement on the imperfect Raceblade / Crud solution. Annoying as Discs make perfect sense in the winter and allow you enjoy half decent wheels too without chewing them up every couple of years.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I've got a Kinesis 4S (non-disc) and would thoroughly recommend the disc version. I would only be tempted to replace it with a GF Toi disc now.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador