De Rosa King XS sizing advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

helldiver

by helldiver

I'm considering buying De Rosa King XS, but i need some advice regarding sizing. My current bike is Bianchi Sempre Pro size 55 (stack 545, reach 386), with quite aggressive setup (-20 120mm stem with one 5mm spacer under it: http://i.imgur.com/cj4bkLU.jpg).
I would like to recreate the rider position, as the King has a much shorter headtube, -20deg stem won't be necessary and I will be ok with a -7deg stem, but I would like to maintain 120mm (or 130mm) stem length, for aesthetic and handling reasons. Given that, i'm stuck between sizes 47 and 49:
In case of size 49, I'm little bit worried about reach, as it has 1mm longer reach then my current setup (negligible and will be actually offset by going from -20deg to -7deg stem), but as the stack is almost 2cm lower (19mm), i'm worried that longer protruding seat-post (i can't really find setback of the included seat-post anywhere, currently running SL-K 20mm setback post) will put me more back, so i will be forced to ride 11cm stem.
Another possibility is size 47 (7mm less reach and 9mm less stack), but i'm afraid that the front-end would be too low (i really can't get any lower then now without compromising on breathing/power) and ideally I don't want to run any spacer stack. Another thing I'm worried about in case of size 47 is toe overlap would be massive, I don't like that. Tough decision, any advices ? :)

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I have a King XS and you are indeed right. Going from a Colnago C59 to a King XS and Protos you notice the slight drop at the front. It's not mega, but noticeable. Just depends whether you can ride in that position. Of course, you could go down the head-spacer route, but that would like pretty awful if you loaded it up. I run a 10mm spacer which looks just right. However, I just love the handling of the King XS and Protos. Stiff and fast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lafolie

by Lafolie

helldiver

by helldiver

Your De Rosa looks great ! Which size is it ?

nismosr

by nismosr

subscribing on this thread, i'm thinking about getting the king xs end of this year, i ride a 53cm traditional on a colnago and leaning towards a 49cm king.

Lafolie thats a great looking bike .. getting the same color too !
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante