2017 NEW TIME SCYLON?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

TIME has pretty much disappeared in the past couple of years.

However, after being taken over by Rossignol group, 2017 seems to be the year that they're making a come back.

The previous flagship known as the SKYLON hasn't had any changes asides from newer graphics and a slight change in name; dropping the letter K in favor of a C.

Was browsing through some of their offerings and noticed that a Japanese site had in stock some of their latest offerings.

This is what I found:

Yet another brand to enter the fray and release flag ship disc speced models. What do you guys think?

There's also a 30th anniversary model with either Campy EPS/Di2 decked out in custom painted Lightweight mileinstein wheels. The colour scheme definitely isn't my cup of tea though. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

My mate (who owns a bike shop in France) was riding the 2nd one on our group ride yesterday (with Etap). Looked quite nice, reminded me of the Wilier Cento Air thing. I'm glad they've ditched the lugs anyway.

gavin

by gavin

I believe the attraction of the brand Time was the hand built feature of the carbon frames in France

If the group that bought the company maintain this then I think they will continue to be a desirable bike

leej88

by leej88

The buy over hasn't affected the way they're made it seems...

They're still one of the two bicycle companies that weave their own Carbon Fibre and everything is handmade.

I'm really digging the new disc SCYLON but it would be simply too cost inhibitive to make the switch over to disc specific road bikes given that I've got no disc specific wheelers or brakes.

mrgray

by mrgray

great comment mouse64! way to earn your 2.5% discount.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kgt

by kgt

One of the top frames available. I would take the special edition one.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Having discs on an "aero" bike is seriously counter intuitive. Love Time though.

ab01ns

by ab01ns

I think that lately time has been dropping the ball on their bikes, atleast looks wise. I'm sure the scylon performs wonderful and is a joy to ride, like all time bikes, but I still prefer the aesthetics of my 2012 RXR Ulteam

20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

ab01ns wrote:I think that lately time has been dropping the ball on their bikes, atleast looks wise. I'm sure the scylon performs wonderful and is a joy to ride, like all time bikes, but I still prefer the aesthetics of my 2012 RXR Ulteam

No way. Those graphics are hideous. Way too big. Specially the one down the seat-tube. New Times look awesome.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I thought Skylon was spelled with a "K". Or is this something new?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

ab01ns wrote:I'm sure the scylon performs wonderful and is a joy to ride, like all time bikes, but I still prefer the aesthetics of my 2012 RXR Ulteam

Great looking bike.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

GothicCastle wrote:I thought Skylon was spelled with a "K". Or is this something new?

They got sued by Sky Television for using the word Sky in Skylon... So they dropped the "K" and went with Scylon

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Main difference for 2017 besides the rename
- Disc brakes
- Aesethetics
- Custom colour option available from factory
- Rear post is "better" integrated into frame and sits higher

alistaird

by alistaird

ab01ns wrote:I think that lately time has been dropping the ball on their bikes, atleast looks wise. I'm sure the scylon performs wonderful and is a joy to ride, like all time bikes, but I still prefer the aesthetics of my 2012 RXR Ulteam

I'm with you on this one - the RXR/RXRS are one of my dream frames...

A

leej88

by leej88

Wormiez wrote:Main difference for 2017 besides the rename
- Disc brakes
- Aesethetics
- Custom colour option available from factory
- Rear post is "better" integrated into frame and sits higher

For some reason, the custom colour option doesn't seem all that "custom" as it's simply a few more colour scheme for us to choose from. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for "the rear post being "better" integrated into the frame and sits higher", would you be able to elaborate on that as I've not heard this from the dealer. Do you mean to say that the seatpost slots in and out of the seat tube with more ease?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com