Park Tools DAG o-ring size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

OT, but I've retired my DAG......I now use the Abbey Tools HAG.......its much , much better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

goodboyr wrote:OT, but I've retired my DAG......I now use the Abbey Tools HAG.......its much , much better!

Your Abbey tool is $185. I paid $50.59 for my Park derailleur hanger tool from Nashbar last week. I suppose you will be much quicker climbing hills with $135 less in your pockets.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Good for you.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BRM

by BRM

The correlation with spending more money on tools and quicker Climbing is lame.

The Parktool DAG is nothing more than a reasonable tool
The Abbey HAG is a higher quality tool

Many people will not pay too much for a tool they use ocasionally.
Other people are toolfreaks. You also have people that maintain bikes for others and use such a tool more frequently. They can appreciate better tools. And lets not forget that some have to spend simply more than others. People often give out thousands of dollars on bikes, so why not some more on quality tools?

Conclusion: you have different kinds of people:
Those who want to do all things on a budget vs people that understands quality comes with a price.

In general:
When buying a budget tool and you come to the conclusion that it doesn't perform optimal, it becomes a threshold for buying a better one. Simply because it will cost you money again. Each time when your using it you been bothered with it. Then after a looong time you maybe buy a higher quality tool finally. All the time (years?) you have irritated yourself AND the total costs of the tool(s) at the end is higher than when you had decided to buy a quality tool directly at the beginning. . . . in this very common case it was not smart to set focus on budget.

Note about Calipers
Yes you have digital calipers for 20 dollar, but . . . .
. . . . many people have complaints with those cheap ones. Like:
When they become wet, they dont work anymore.
Build quality is poor.
Some are gone after frequent use of one year.
Many complain that after a few months they dont work anymore.
With repating the same action it gives Always diferent results.
They dont work as smooth as better ones.
Too flexible.
etc

When you are on a budget and stil have young eyes, maybe better buy an anologe one.
Not too pricy robust and reliable. Never fails. Costs around 40 euro. (Mitutoyo)

When you definitely wants a digital one and also have more to spend, consider brands like:
Mahr, Mitutoyo, Sylvac, Tesa, etc Then you are assured of quality.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well stated. And as an added bonus, I don't appreciate ad hominem snarky comments on a site which is relatively snark free, compared to some of the other ones out there.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

BRM wrote:Conclusion: you have different kinds of people:
Those who want to do all things on a budget vs people that understands quality comes with a price.

And those who choose to spend money wisely, not wasteful. A tool that does the exact same job for one third-one fourth the cost, Park? Or the three to four times more expensive Abbey tool? This is very different than a bicycle, which you use hundreds of hours a year. Spending three times more can easily be justified and reasoned. But 3-4 times more for a tool that does the EXACT same job? And you use once a year or every third year for five minutes?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The Park Tool tends to get "sloppy" with use, and the spring loaded guides do not hold position well.

BRM

by BRM

RussellS wrote:
BRM wrote:Conclusion: you have different kinds of people:

And those who choose to spend money wisely, not wasteful. A tool that does the exact same job for one third-one fourth the cost, Park? Or the three to four times more expensive Abbey tool? This is very different than a bicycle, which you use hundreds of hours a year. Spending three times more can easily be justified and reasoned. But 3-4 times more for a tool that does the EXACT same job? And you use once a year or every third year for five minutes?

It does do the same job but it performs differently :)

Sure you can do an occasionally job with the parktool, but the Abbey is in a different leaque.
Some people simply have the money, others require a beter tool because they want the best, and another group of users use it more frequently. All these things I already wrote . . . .
Perfectly alright when you choose the DAG. ( I have one myself) But you have to understand that not everyone is satisfied with it and go for better options.