Emonda vs SuperSix vs Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Apologies for throwing a spanner in the works, but have you considered a TCR?

For me, if I was looking for a new stiff and light bike, it would definitely be in the shortlist to consider.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Junior7

by Junior7

Of the 3 options: Canonndale SuperSix

I had a 3-year, it was great bike.

bikebike

by bikebike

MikeyBE wrote:I have no feelings on this and Im not sure going either way will make an impact on wheel choice etc in future.

Are you struggling to decide, and using this as a decision point?

The biggest decision is whether I feel that the highest level carbons (700-series, hi-mod, s-works) will be too stiff, to the point of uncomfortable on my body after two hours. It is also challenging to compare these high end carbons. Are they essentially the same? Are the frames designed to really work best with the highest level carbon and do not feel that nice with 2nd highest level carbon? I currently feel that the 2nd highest level of carbon will be plenty stiff, minimally heavier, and more comfortable. Not looking for a touring feel or a race only feel. More like an all around feel, like my trek 5500.
As for brake mount, I would like to purchase a $6000-8,000 bike with the sense that I am not purchasing an outdated frame right from the start. Direct/flat mount makes logical sense, but is new and lacks years of proven durability on a road frame.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

As an update, I rented a TCR advanced 1 in Nice yesterday. Awesome Hill crushing bike. Great platform, and very comfortable. Not as a aggressive as my supersix, but this is probably a good thing.

Plus looking at prices, the TCR is heaps of value.

defride

by defride

bikebike wrote:
MikeyBE wrote:I have no feelings on this and Im not sure going either way will make an impact on wheel choice etc in future.

Are you struggling to decide, and using this as a decision point?

The biggest decision is whether I feel that the highest level carbons (700-series, hi-mod, s-works) will be too stiff, to the point of uncomfortable on my body after two hours. It is also challenging to compare these high end carbons. Are they essentially the same? Are the frames designed to really work best with the highest level carbon and do not feel that nice with 2nd highest level carbon? I currently feel that the 2nd highest level of carbon will be plenty stiff, minimally heavier, and more comfortable. Not looking for a touring feel or a race only feel. More like an all around feel, like my trek 5500.
As for brake mount, I would like to purchase a $6000-8,000 bike with the sense that I am not purchasing an outdated frame right from the start. Direct/flat mount makes logical sense, but is new and lacks years of proven durability on a road frame.

As for the SS, I had a Hi-Mod now have a 2015 Black Inc with the 'Nano' resin and had a 2016 Evo Ultegra on holiday last week. Though maybe stiffer, possibly as much a combination of Red crank/Hi-mod v SISL2/Black Inc as frame alone the Black Inc is still the more comfortable of the three. It fairly floats over the rough stuff, from 6 1/2 hrs, 110 miles, 12000ft to a 4 hr 100 miler, absolutely no problem from a comfort perspective. The Evo was very good but the Black Inc kitted out to around 6kg with 55mm tubs has a special something that makes you want to ride it all the time!

The other two are also great bikes, amongst the guys I ride with there's an S/Works SL4 and Emonda SLR, the guys are very happy with them. Mine's lightest though..! (-: