TCR Advanced SL ISP 2016, alternatives to upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vilegnus

by vilegnus

jeffy wrote:even Giant say the weight saving is ~10%

i tend to trust my scales, not marketing bullshit

MoPho

by MoPho

vilegnus wrote:i had both framesets on the scale, new and uncut when bought mine in Giant LBD. weight difference was about 285 or 286 grams, dont remember exactly and it was a decisive point for me.
both M, both 2016 year, both with hanger, seatpost and headset.

I'm sure that 300g will hold you back from winning a $10 trophy or getting to the coffee shop first :lol:

Did you include the seat post mast on the SL?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gavin

by gavin

I weighed the 2016 TCR sl 0 and non Sl in Giant store and the weight was 6.3 kg for m/l sl

6.8 kg for TCR medium

vilegnus

by vilegnus

MoPho wrote:I'm sure that 300g will hold you back from winning a $10 trophy or getting to the coffee shop first :lol:

as is can remember, we are on the WW forum :))
And i didn't mention it, but i have a bronze medal of national TTT masters championship and a dozen of other medals in local XCM and RR events. It was two years ago, but i still have something like 4.5W/kg in my legs even after a long post-traumatic recovery, not only a pathos of light bike assembly.

Did you include the seat post mast on the SL?

do i look stupid enough to miss this member of equation? ))

MoPho

by MoPho

vilegnus wrote:as is can remember, we are on the WW forum :))

OK, but you make it sound like 300g is the end of the world, at what point is it just silly to worry about so little? It's not like the non ISP version can't be built down the UCI minimum or less.
If you don't want to compromise than just keep what you have, it's an amazing bike, I know because I have one too.

And i didn't mention it, but i have a bronze medal of national TTT masters championship and a dozen of other medals in local XCM and RR events. It was two years ago, but i still have something like 4.5W/kg in my legs even after a long post-traumatic recovery, not only a pathos of light bike assembly.

Oh, I was wrong, you have a $5 medal :twisted:
http://deadspin.com/5930095/how-much-ar ... ally-worth

Seriously, that's great, but I am sure 300g wouldn't have changed your results at all.

do i look stupid enough to miss this member of equation? ))

Yes? :noidea:

jeffy

by jeffy

i am not saying you are incorrect, but these are the weights others have given for a medium frame,

SL T800 frame 856g fork 306g
ADV RP T700 frame 890g 330g fork

SL ISP clamp is ~130g -> saving ~70g (assuming ~200g for Adv Pro seatpost)

A2ON

by A2ON

gavin wrote:I weighed the 2016 TCR sl 0 and non Sl in Giant store and the weight was 6.3 kg for m/l sl

6.8 kg for TCR medium

WOW - Jumping in off topic here but thats light compared to the propel - 8KG for the M/L ADV PRO 0

jeffy

by jeffy

gavin wrote:I weighed the 2016 TCR sl 0 and non Sl in Giant store and the weight was 6.3 kg for m/l sl

6.8 kg for TCR medium

which non SL model?
even if you compared it to the Adv Pro 0 .. the specs are different.

Handlebar / Stem / Saddle alone are all lower spec.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

MoPho wrote:Yes? :noidea:

Sounds, like you are a great compliment master ))
300 grams is almost nothing, but if you have two framesets on sale: TCR Advanced Pro and TCR advanced SL with the same price (1250USD exactly) you have a really tough choice between))

gavin

by gavin

jeffy wrote:

6.8 kg for TCR medium

which non SL model?
even if you compared it to the Adv Pro 0 .. the specs are different.

Handlebar / Stem / Saddle alone are all lower spec.

It was the advanced pro 0 with dura ace mechanical group set

gavin

by gavin

vilegnus wrote:
MoPho wrote:I'm sure that 300g will hold you back from winning a $10 trophy or getting to the coffee shop first :lol:

as is can remember, we are on the WW forum :))

Kudos for the success in this great sport :thumbup:

vilegnus

by vilegnus

gavin wrote:Kudos for the success in this great sport :thumbup:

thanks! hope to see my 5W/kg back soon ((

wingguy

by wingguy

MoPho wrote:

OK, but you make it sound like 300g is the end of the world, at what point is it just silly to worry about so little? It's not like the non ISP version can't be built down the UCI minimum or less.

Ok, so what if you didn't care about a 300g difference in frames, then you didn't care about a 300g difference in wheels, then you didn't care about a 300g difference in groupset...

What's the old saying? A million dollars here, a million dollars there and pretty soon you're talking about real money :wink:

MoPho

by MoPho

vilegnus wrote:
MoPho wrote:Yes? :noidea:

Sounds, like you are a great compliment master ))
300 grams is almost nothing, but if you have two framesets on sale: TCR Advanced Pro and TCR advanced SL with the same price (1250USD exactly) you have a really tough choice between))

Of course! A similar deal landed me my TCR SL, but IMO at retail, there is not a $1000 advantage between the two to justify the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

wingguy wrote:
MoPho wrote:

Ok, so what if you didn't care about a 300g difference in frames, then you didn't care about a 300g difference in wheels, then you didn't care about a 300g difference in groupset...

What's the old saying? A million dollars here, a million dollars there and pretty soon you're talking about real money :wink:

... And next thing you know, you're riding a 23+lbs bike like us real men did back in the "good ole days" :lol: