TCR Advanced SL ISP 2016, alternatives to upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

300g is a big chunk of weight to a real weight weenie.
I too wouldn't want to ride a lesser quality or heavier version of the same frame.
Can't you cut the ISP off and turn it in to a standard seatpost version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

Just to throw a handgrenade in... no one has mentioned the added flex/comfort in the ISP compared to the non ISP.

It might not be much of a factor on a 50km crit, but on a 150km race or sportive surely the added flex must add up to something?

I too was/am looking at both frames and whilst the weight isn't the 'main factor' (blasphemy!!) it is one part of the equation for me I've equated it with £$ rather than a deal breaker.

rick222

by rick222

My understanding is the M/L will fit into a standard bike case even with the ISP cut high. It'll be hard to find another frame that performs as well as the TCR also.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

rick222 wrote:My understanding is the M/L will fit into a standard bike case even with the ISP cut high. It'll be hard to find another frame that performs as well as the TCR also.

thanks for your opinion!
so, you rate tcr advanced sl is as a top grade frame and all possible shifts won't get me significant improvements? correct?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

vilegnus wrote:
rick222 wrote:My understanding is the M/L will fit into a standard bike case even with the ISP cut high. It'll be hard to find another frame that performs as well as the TCR also.

thanks for your opinion!
so, you rate tcr advanced sl is as a top grade frame and all possible shifts won't get me significant improvements? correct?

In case you haven't seen this www.giant-bicycles.com/au/news/tcr-adva ... test/19607

Buy Tour magazine, issue 3 (2016) for extensive review of 15 bikes, where Giant TCR shines in every category!

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

rick222

by rick222

vilegnus wrote:

thanks for your opinion!

I might be a little bias because I own one but they really hit a home run with this new frame. I haven't read a bad thing about this frame. The tour magazine review is probably the most extensive test in the industry where they actually test fork and bottom bracket stiffness as well as test the bike with all the same wheelsets along with the OEM wheelsets. The TCR came out on top.

Carrots

by Carrots

Just to further this - I have a L '16 SL and it fits in a Scicon bag. Albeit snuggly.

zev

by zev

The ISP hasn't been an issue with my scicon bag either

kgt

by kgt

I can understand that ISP can be a problem but I would not sell my frame in order to get an inferior one...

syplam

by syplam

vilegnus wrote:Hi, all!

I ride a bike, assembled on TCR Advanced SL ISP 2016 frameset since dec2015. bike has a nice ride, reasonable weight etc., but i have 2 reasons to move to something else.
1) Since this january i fly a lot with my bike and ISP causes a lot of problems with bike packing. I dont think, that ISP is an option for me
2) Annoying OD2 headset. I cant find any stems in our LBS's, cant go for Specialized bikefit, cause their adjusting stem is for 1-1/8 steerer etc. Really cant see any reasons why i'd go for 1-1/4 in the future.

I need a climbing frameset well suitable for ride in the mountains (Cyprus, Italy, Spain) on 10%+ uphills and downhills, frame aero in not an issue for me.

I can see such alternatives for me:
- new tarmac. nice bike, really well reviews, but a bit trivial :)
- supersix evo. had one a couple of years ago. bike rides well overall, but creaking from BB made my life a pain ( and it seems, that headset angle is different from standard. cornering is a bit nervous for me
- cervelo r5. best choiсe in my mind and dreams, but did not ride it to make it sure.
- colnago c60. a lot of hype about this frame from two of my friends. heavy, expensive, but really well made and has some luxury :))
- scott addict. really nice frame, but... for me ride a scott is something like a sex with pig. don't know why :( it's something irrational somewhere in my inflamed brain.

Do anybody have a longterm opinion about comparison of new TCR Advanced SL and frames from the list?

Which frame won't disappoint after TCR?

Are you going to sell ur tcr :p?