PF30 alternative to Praxis for Campy Ultra Torque in titanium frame.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cooperee

by Cooperee

I'm currently running Campagnolo record eps in a Moots titanium frame. After apprx 2000 km's I've noticed a creak & the campy adapter has started to walk away from the bottom bracket shell. Reading on the forum this is not unusual and Praxis offer a good solution. However it does not allow the electronic wires to pass through. I spoke to Moots & they recommended the CK pf30 and or Enduro bearings option ( these allow wires to pass ). However it seems to me these are not compatible with Campy Ultra torque?? Can anyone enlighten me to any successful alternative or point me in the right direction. Thank you.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Installation technique is vital to a stress free experience. There's several threads on this if you google.

Parlee PF30 cups are one alternative but you'd still need a "cage" to keep the cables away. http://store.parleecycles.com/products/parlee-pf30-to-campagnolo-adapters
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

One.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

His frame is Ti so the only options would be external wiring or eTap with the Praxis BB. I would use a BB with a small cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooperee

by Cooperee

[quote="pdlpsher1"]His frame is Ti so the only options would be external wiring or eTap with the Praxis BB. I would use a BB with a small cage.

eTap has crossed my mind, though seems an inordinately expensive solution to a bottom bracket issue...maybe in a years time!

Looking through previous threads I've narrowed it down to ( if you can call it narrowing it down! ).

1. Campag or Parlee adapters with loctite primer and 609. Doesn't look like anyone in UK keeps Parlee adapters?

2. Chris King or Enduro Bearing PF30 bottom bracket, but would mean swapping chainset for something BB30 compatible ...Hologram, FSA ? By the time I've done that I'm a third of the way to eTap

3. PF30 to BSA adapter....are there any Campag ultra torque compatible? I couldn't seem to find any.

If anyone has any successful solutions...I'm all ears.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

This looks like it would be a solid PF30 to BSA adapter. No personal knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0k1GeuEjQ

One.

BRM

by BRM

I still have here a new set of Parlee Campa UT laying around.
When you're interested send me a PM. (location is Europe)

Cooperee

by Cooperee

BRM...thanks for that. May well take those as a 2nd option.

Bikerjulio...again thanks for your input.

AJS914

by AJS914

The campy cups should be fine if installed with the correct loctite compound. I'd ping Calnago.

BRM

by BRM

Campy cups are a drama and cursed by many. Not recommended.
Parlee did a much better job.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The initial Campy cups had more issues until they increased the depth of the flange. No issues now, except for the usual issues of installing a perfectly machined alloy piece into a less than perfectly round carbon shells. Hopefully your ti BB shell is round but should be fine if you use loctite 609 and appropriate primer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

Had the same issues. I had a Lynskey Helix with Campy EPS v2 and now have a Passoni Top Force with Campy EPS v3

I was very disappointed with Praxis. Not only it doesn't leave space for wire to pass, but started creaking after 6 months.
The best option is to get the Wishbone PF3025c bb.
You can find it on eBay for about $90-100.
I have used two of them and recommended it to plenty of friends and they are all happy with it.

You will have ample space for your wire and even for the brake cable in case you have a frame with internal cable routing.
I am amazed that other conpanies couldn't come with a similar solution. I basically stopped buying Chris King parts because of their lack of attention to Campy users, from hubs to bottom bracket.

Thank god we have these niche Taiwanese high precision component manufacturers who offer solution for Campy users. You will not be disappointed with the bottom bracket. Much better quality than Praxxis, threaded junction, no loctite needed.

I have few pics of it in my Instagram page "TitaniumConfidential"

Good luck

spookyload

by spookyload

Kogel Bearings is top notch. Best customer service ever. Their cups go deep into the frame and prevent creaking. I had to use a Wheels Manufacturing for two weeks while I got a new Kogel in the mail. It creaked from the first ride. New Kogel installed and it has been silent since. This is in a Lynskey PF30 BTW. No adapters required for their bottom bracket btw.

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

Kogel are great but on metal frames with electronic wires it will be too tight because cups are going to deep. The only bottom bracket which will work for Campagnolo EPS is Wishbone PF3025c.
No other way. And I tried them all.

Cooperee

by Cooperee

titaniumconfidential wrote:Kogel are great but on metal frames with electronic wires it will be too tight because cups are going to deep. The only bottom bracket which will work for Campagnolo EPS is Wishbone PF3025c.
No other way. And I tried them all.

Thanks for all advice...Kogel look good, though looks like feeding wiring will be an issue.

Titanium Confidential ... I've ordered the Wishbone - see how that goes...otherwise it's Loctite time.

Thanks again everyone

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com