Sidewall of Tubeless Schwable Tire bubbling

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flashpunk

by flashpunk

I've got a pair of Schwable Pro One Tubeless on my Defy (disc brake) bike. They've been there for about 2 months, probably 600-800 miles on them.

I noticed I came pretty close to running over a patch of broken glass on the road after my ride last night so I was checking them out for punctures but instead I noticed this bubbling on the sidewall. There doesn't seem to be a puncture anywhere I can see, and there bubbles compress easily when pushed in.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a defective tire?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This should be taken care of via a warranty claim. I would not try to ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Durability is near zero on these tires. Good ride but tubulars last much longer.

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Sent in a warranty request. Will update when I hear back.

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Also I should add, there doesn't seem to be any sign of issues on the inside of the tire where the bubbling is happening, and even after they have been removed the bubbling is still present, so I can't really explain what is going on...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

shonanmike wrote:Durability is near zero on these tires. Good ride but tubulars last much longer.

it is easy to make such a claim on the internet and have a lot of people believe you. Please inform us why the durability is near zero on these tires, and please do so out of your own experience.
My bike rolls on the 25mm version of these tires and before that i used the first gen schwalbe one tubeless tires. Both are extremely good in the durability department, there is no real squaring like the Conti GP 4000 SII (Garden hose) use to do. Punctures, near zero cuts, quite the same.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jeffy

by jeffy

^+1

reading the internet i was expecting terrible durability, but over 2000kms into 25mm on some pretty bad roads and no real sign of any wear.
No punctures or cuts (touch wood), signs (white reside) that some sealing has happened (that i was completely unaware of on the road).

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Just wanted to update this:

I just got a notification from Fedex that i'm getting a replacement this Friday. Would have liked to get it faster than 2 weeks turn around, but have to appreciate the replacement. No questions asked, just provided the information necessary that is outlined on their warranty site.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Not bad! I had several tubeless tires go bad on me, but I never had an experience with Schwable (Hutchinson & Bontrager). After my last experience, I decided to go back to standard clinchers. I hope your next tire is more reliable than your last one, though.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I had some corsa speeds do that to me, albeit much smaller bubbles. I assumed it was because i inflated without sealant. They eventually deflated about an hour later. Now I'm wondering if this is normal. I haven't gotten around to messing around with it because the head of the tubeless flash pump i was using broke.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@kulivontot Yup, that's normal to see if you don't use sealant. The tires are tubeless-ready in most cases and require sealant to fill those very small holes and help prevent air from bleeding out.

defride

by defride

I've had 2 tubeless and 1 clincher Schw One go. They appear to be built with the tyre tread attached to a carcass, mine bubbled and then frayed at the bead area separating the tread from the carcass. (Nothing to do with the brake blocks going over the rim and cutting the tyre). All three were replaced quickly under warranty.

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

All the bubbling is the result of a damaged or an insufficiently thin inner liner. When it's happening all around the cirumference, then it's most likely the latter. Could be a design flaw or manufacturing related (material pushed around during the curing process). If you want to investigate it in detail, cut a cross section of the tire and measure the inner liner thickness with a scale loupe.

Tl;dr: Tire is defective, no user error.

McGilli

by McGilli

The guy at the 6:06 minute mark is to blame - call and report him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0P3oQWo22A

;) Otherwise it's still an interesting video to watch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I had this once when it was very hot in a really long technical decent. I thought it was just me messing up the tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk