Cyclemeter and iPhone, new Garmin, or Wahoo??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Greetings,

I have searched a bunch on this, but didn't really find much to my liking.

So I currently have a Garmin 500 that is a few years old and has been put through just about everything you could throw at it. I also like getting new gear every so often and considering getting a new Garmin 520 or the 820, and even the new Wahoo. Then I thought, "what are some other options out there?".

Then I heard of Cyclemeter, and it got me thinking that I could just get a Quad Lock for my 6s+, use my current Scosche Rhythm HR monitor, (I'd probably have to get a bluetooth cadence sensor though since I don't believe my Garmin sensor is BT), and I'd be good to go. It would certainly be cheaper to go this route. But would I be happy with it?

My Garmin 500 has been good to me and I haven't experienced any bugs that others have. It did run out of battery while riding last year's Levi's Fondo though.

I really need to be able to get notifications of phone calls and texts while riding without having to stop to see who it is since I'm on call 24/7 for work. All of the new units do this, as does my phone of course if it's not in my back pocket.

So the question is: would I be happy with using Cyclemeter and my iPhone, or get a new Garmin/Wahoo?

Thanks you in advance for your thoughts.

Brandon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

I use Cyclemeter and really like it. Although when I ride I use my old 5S instead of the 6S+ which is too big.

steventran

by steventran

I still have my Garmin 500, but I'd like to be able to upload my rides without a computer. I'm trying to decide between another Garmin, the Wahoo, and using my phone as well.

I hesitate to go with the phone option because I prefer to spare my phone's battery for emergencies or whatnot. I have used Strava for short one-off rides, but I kept my phone in my pocket and the screen off. Would you want your screen on during your entire ride if you use Cyclemeter? Would you want to carry a spare battery/charger for your phone?

BigPoser

by BigPoser

steventran wrote:I still have my Garmin 500, but I'd like to be able to upload my rides without a computer. I'm trying to decide between another Garmin, the Wahoo, and using my phone as well.

I hesitate to go with the phone option because I prefer to spare my phone's battery for emergencies or whatnot. I have used Strava for short one-off rides, but I kept my phone in my pocket and the screen off. Would you want your screen on during your entire ride if you use Cyclemeter? Would you want to carry a spare battery/charger for your phone?

You and I are alike. I definitely wouldn't carry another battery for my phone so that's out. Not sure about the phone being on the whole time either. A lot of my rides are 60-90 minutes, but do longer rides on the weekends in the range of 3-4 hours and don't the phone would last that long.

Do you have to have the screen on all the time with Cyclometer? I suppose it wouldn't serve it's purpose if the screen was off though either.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

BigPoser wrote:
steventran wrote:I still have my Garmin 500, but I'd like to be able to upload my rides without a computer. I'm trying to decide between another Garmin, the Wahoo, and using my phone as well.

You and I are alike. I definitely wouldn't carry another battery for my phone so that's out. Not sure about the phone being on the whole time either. A lot of my rides are 60-90 minutes, but do longer rides on the weekends in the range of 3-4 hours and don't the phone would last that long.

Do you have to have the screen on all the time with Cyclometer? I suppose it wouldn't serve it's purpose if the screen was off though either.

Check out "Wahoo Rflkt" .
Phone work as a bike computer (my Sony Xperia Z5 have both Bluetooth LE and ANT+) with screen turned off (so it'll last a day easily). Data sent to Wahoo Rflkt which is just a dumb screen running on coin battery that last a year. So i don't have to sync data to my phone (all the data is already in my phone), don't have to charge the bike unit (it's just a dumb screen so battery will last long). Only downside i can complain is, it's two hop connection (sensor->phone->screen) so the data showing on screen will delay a bit more than one hop connection from sensor to head unit directly.

Shrike

by Shrike

Wahoo Elemnt now has a Strava Live Segments update, so it's competitive with Garmin's 520, 1000 etc now in terms of featuresets.

AJS914

by AJS914

First I'd never mount my phone on my bike. I just wouldn't want to put it in danger in the event of a crash.

When I was shopping, my basic criteria was cyclometer functions plus wireless automatic bluetooth upload to Strava. I ended up with a Garmin 510 + heartrate and Ant+. If I were buying today I'd probably get the cheaper Garmin 25 as it does everything I need and is half the price. I never use the map features on my 510. Get the 520 if you want the map and strava live segments.

BTW, I have my 510 mounted on my road bike in such a way that if I crash, it can't touch the ground. It's protected by the shift levers. I crashed on my mountain bike and destroyed one 510 so now on mtb rides I just use Strava running on my phone in my pocket. I haven't figured out a way to mount it in a non-vulnurable place. Every time you crash your Garmin it costs $85 to get it fixed.
Last edited by AJS914 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McNamara

by McNamara

I used to use an old wired bike computer for speed/distance info, and record Strava on my phone in the jersey pocket. Have a Garmin 500 now, so the phone is unnecessary except for emergencies and getting lost. I used a 520 on one ride and was very impressed; it has all the functionality I could ask for and plenty I'll probably never need. I'll probably get one next year. It's smaller and cheaper than the new Wahoo computer too.

The 6s+ is friggin' huge. Keep that shit in your pocket. If you do mount it on your handlebars, be sure to get a rear view mirror or two, clip-on aero bars, maybe attach a lunchbox to your top tube, wear the baggiest jersey possible...you get the picture :wink:

glepore

by glepore

I have and and have used the rflkt. Its a nice little piece now that the bugs are worked out, but only if you need zero nav functions. The scoche bt sensors were really cheap on ebay a while back.

My rflkt is primarily just a backup for my 800, as the lag in the power display is annoying. Not an issue if you don't use a powermeter.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

I've had plenty of battery left after 3-4 hour rides. What really drains the battery is the LCD, not an app using GPS.

Wheever

by Wheever

Hexsense wrote:Check out "Wahoo Rflkt" .
Phone work as a bike computer (my Sony Xperia Z5 have both Bluetooth LE and ANT+) with screen turned off (so it'll last a day easily). Data sent to Wahoo Rflkt which is just a dumb screen running on coin battery that last a year. So i don't have to sync data to my phone (all the data is already in my phone), don't have to charge the bike unit (it's just a dumb screen so battery will last long). Only downside i can complain is, it's two hop connection (sensor->phone->screen) so the data showing on screen will delay a bit more than one hop connection from sensor to head unit directly.

+1

Also happens cyclemeter is the best app for using the RFLKT, letting you customize the data display for each page, etc. I use this combo and it's flawless for me, much better than the phone attached to the bars or whatever. (Also, I had had a problem with the phone overheating and shutting off in the summer. Withe the RFLKT, it doesn't happen.) My phone lasts forever in my jersey pocket with the screen off. (4-5 hour ride, and maybe 17% used from full charge on an iphone 6.) Highly recommended!

nobuseri

by nobuseri

I have been pretty happy with the Wahoo ELEMNT (coming from a Garmin 500). I decided to give another vendor a try and I got on Wahoo's list and received in in March. Been part of their beta program, so I have seen it grow as they have put a lot of time into making it a decent Garmin competitor.

The ELEMNT is a big larger than a 500/520, but smaller than a 1000, I would say. I think the screen is a lot nicer (sans color) on the ELEMNT. Highly customizable, but a smartphone is needed. I am going to go out on a limb and say that shouldn't be a problem these days. :)

ELEMNT does turn-by-turn (very well) and they have just added Strava Segments - if that's your thing. Does pair up with the KICKR, so you can so specific routes and have the ELEMNT to the ERG/slope control.

I used to use Cyclemeter a few years ago, but the phone battery drainage was a deal breaker. I like to have the bike computer check in from time to time, but not solely use the phone for every GPS point and other metrics collected and have the screen on. I think it's worth it to have them separate devices as the phone doesn't take much room in a rear jersey pocket.

My $0.02; hope it helps.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

Willem

by Willem

Garmin all the way. I'm a directionless MOFO, so good map routing is essential when I need to get home after a 6 hour ride who knows where to.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

glepore and Wheever, have all of the bugs really been worked out with the RFLKT? Is it "plug and play"?

The specs for the RFLKT and + are perfect for me, but reading through the comments in the DC Rainmaker review is not encouraging. Battery draining, pairing issues, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jollygiant

by jollygiant

I use the Wahoo, HR, Cadence and speed sensors with the RFLKT and all work perfectly and always have.

I bought the RFLKT 2nd hand from eBay for £30 and the battery lasted 2 weeks, so I changed it and thats was 2,500 miles ago. They sync perfectly every time, I do the HR 1st when I get ready then the speed and cadence sensor as I'm getting my bike out then the RFLKT as I'm getting my helmet on.

They have worked and paired fine with my iPhone 6 since I've got them.

I am thinking about getting the Element, but it's having the £250!!