Bike Mechanics in London

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

condorman

by condorman

Hi,

I just moved to Barnes (SW13) and would like advice on best local bike shop or mechanics in this area of London.

Am about to start building a bike and will definitely need some help and advice, would love to learn and do it myself but will be expensive if I mess things up.

On a side note, what is the best way to approach learning how to build a bike? I'm almost tempted to buy e-tap instead of super record mechanical just because it'll be easier to set up...(half joking about this)

Advice would be welcome, will start a build thread once I get started :D

Thanks

timmbo

by timmbo

I built my first bike (http://i.imgur.com/dqPgc8p.jpg) the other month. Almost everything I needed to know I could get from one of the following resources:

a) YouTube
b) Forums
c) manufacturer websites/support documentation
d) Park Tools website

Having the right tools will also make your life very easy. I didn't have a few things - headset press, derailleur hanger alignment gauge, bottom bracket tap/face tool, hacksaw/cutting guide to chop streerer tube, and had a local workshop do these for me (Bespoke Cycling on Jermyn Street, as well as Condor Cycles on Grays Inn Road). The tools I invested in are (and I'm sure people will say some of these aren't essential):

Cable cutters
Cassette lockring tool
Bottom bracket wrench
Torque wrench
Set of allen keys
T25 key
Chain tool

...I think that's all. I may have missed one or two!

Regarding local shops, that's not my stomping ground so I can't really comment - I'm sure there will plenty in that neck of the woods. Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

condorman wrote:Hi,

I just moved to Barnes (SW13) and would like advice on best local bike shop or mechanics in this area of London.

Am about to start building a bike and will definitely need some help and advice, would love to learn and do it myself but will be expensive if I mess things up.

On a side note, what is the best way to approach learning how to build a bike? I'm almost tempted to buy e-tap instead of super record mechanical just because it'll be easier to set up...(half joking about this)

Advice would be welcome, will start a build thread once I get started :D

Thanks

There are some great videos that cover just about every aspect of building a bike.
The best way to learn is to get stuck in and have a go. You may make mistakes but that is how you learn.
I can just about put my bikes together OK. I got fed up having to go down the LBS just to get headset adjusted or setting up my gears etc. Take your time try not to get frustrated and have some spares cables etc just in case.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

condorman

by condorman

Thanks for the responses so far, I think youtube will be my friend.

I have a basic bike tool kit that was about £50 so that should be a good start.

Am sure i'll have some questions for the forum about certain parts before I order them.

sungod

by sungod

not been in them, but i've got family in the area so see a couple of shops...

Bikes & Bits
66 Mortlake High St

Pearson Performance
232 Upper Richmond Road West

for buying stuff, you'll be a short ride from kingston, the sigma sport shop there is very good

condorman

by condorman

sungod wrote:not been in them, but i've got family in the area so see a couple of shops...

Bikes & Bits
66 Mortlake High St

Pearson Performance
232 Upper Richmond Road West

for buying stuff, you'll be a short ride from kingston, the sigma sport shop there is very good

Thanks so much for this!

Lynet

by Lynet

You can quickly end up spending a lot of money on special tools for jobs, depending on what kind of bikes you're building. Things like pressing/removing BB-bearings, installing cranksets and so on. But it really depends on the frame etc.

My advice would be to slowly replace your little toolkit with quality tools from brands like Pedros, Park, Unior as you need them.

If you are building a bike you consider putting E-tap on, you are in a budget range where a torque wrench most definately will be needed. And I would get some cone spanners as well.

condorman

by condorman

Thanks Lynet, my bike budget is fairly big for this one, I will be building dream bike.

My current bike is a super six but I didn't build it. Really dislike the zero gravity brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

if you're building from scratch, a rear mech alignment tool will be useful, there are ways to improvise but a proper tool makes life easier

i've got one but it's heavy, after needing one on my last trip overseas i recently made a weight weenie version out of carbon fibre, i even realised i could design it to allow use without removing the etap rear mech, for my next trip it will be in the bike box, weighs about 100g :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139618&start=15#p1240162