Dura Ace 7700 rear mech problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Penthousepete

by Penthousepete

Hi all
I've recently completed a retro bike build with Dura Ace 7700. All is good except for the fact I've been through 2 rear mechs. The problem I have had on each one is the thread for the cable/tension screw going into the casting is giving up and thus tension can't be obtained and indexing fails.
Has anyone experienced the same or have I just been super unlucky with eBay seconds? Annoying as I have bought the best looking one I could each time and they're not cheap! :shock:
Any help gratefully received!
Losing weight is an education
Hong Fu Bikes FM0069 Superlight 2014 (SRAM Red, Tune TSR30)
Cannondale Flash F1 '10
Felt Brougham '10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

They do corrode and jam/strip if not looked after.
Could you not save it by drilling out and helicoiling?

ms6073

by ms6073

Another thought is to take the knackered cable tension adjuster on the derailleur out of the equation by using an inline barrel adjuster up front.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I agree with this approach. Plus, I never knew the adjuster mounted directly on the derailleur ever went bad.
If you want to give it another whirl, I can sell you a very nice 7700 for $55 delivered within the U.S.
If memory serves, it's only got about 2k miles - always on good chains and cogs/rings.

ms6073 wrote:Another thought is to take the knackered cable tension adjuster on the derailleur out of the equation by using an inline barrel adjuster up front.