How will the introduction of Hydraulic Disc Brakes impact value of non-disc brake bikes within the next 5 years?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but when I make purchases I take into account the resale value of things.

Stop right there. You are doing this for all the wrong reasons. Buy a bike and run it into the ground with many miles. The cheapest bike is the one you buy and ride for 10 years.

Also, your idea of what that bike is worth is way off. A quick check of eBay shows one Felt AR3 from 2014 with Campagnolo EPS that sold for $1525. A 2015 sold for $1750. As stated above the moment you ride the bike out the door it's usually worth half of what another person can get it for new. Forget MSRP or whatever tag was on the bike.

ergott

by ergott

Oh, another thought.

As much as I'm a big disc brake bike fan, I see that rim brake bikes are not going anywhere soon. The market for them is still alive and strong and I think it will be that way for at least the next 3 years if not longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

ergott wrote:Oh, another thought.

As much as I'm a big disc brake bike fan, I see that rim brake bikes are not going anywhere soon. The market for them is still alive and strong and I think it will be that way for at least the next 3 years if not longer.

That's what I was hoping to hear from somebody. I don't know what to expect but I'd hope that rim brakes wouldn't just get phased out as obsolete anytime soon

wingguy

by wingguy

JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:Just didn't really know how all of the bikes getting disc brakes would affect the market

As others have pointed out, you clearly don't know how the second hand bike market works in general, so I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

JunkyCollegeBiker18

by JunkyCollegeBiker18

wingguy wrote:
JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:Just didn't really know how all of the bikes getting disc brakes would affect the market

As others have pointed out, you clearly don't know how the second hand bike market works in general, so I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

You're right, I said that myself that I didn't know how it would affect the market. That's a redundant comment...

uraqt

by uraqt

Many cars and and bikes have had their value increase after their original purchase.

That said I agree with the idea of everyone's posts... just buy the bike you want and ride it... the odds are you are not going to get any real money when you try and resell it.

C

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Find a Merckx or other classic steel road bike with rim brakes then you won't worry about resale :)

ergott

by ergott

JunkyCollegeBiker18 wrote:
wingguy wrote:As others have pointed out, you clearly don't know how the second hand bike market works in general, so I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

You're right, I said that myself that I didn't know how it would affect the market. That's a redundant comment...

I put the part you missed in bold.

:thumbup:

This right here is just wrong and the reason has nothing to do with disc brakes.
I got it on a close-out at $2350 new and never demo'd. I'd say that it's worth at least $2700 from a $3500 MSRP.

Maelochs

by Maelochs

There is no reason to suspect used bikes with rim brakes will plummet in value as more disc brake bikes are sold new. Both braking solutions are effective, and about the only time discs would be absolutely recommended would be if you were doing a lot of mountain descents on carbon clinchers ... but most people don't and most who do, still do fine with rim brakes.

(Of course I could be wrong, but with depreciation, you are already out of luck, so why worry.)

On the other hand, three years from now your bike won't be worth very much no matter what kind of brakes it has, because it will be a five-year-old bike.

If you really need to make money on the bike, stop riding it immediately and sell it ti a collector ... about 50 years from now.

Otherwise, the only way to not lose hugely is to get your money's worth ... which means to ride it.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Bikes are not real estate. Buy it for your own pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ofcourse it will affect the market. Just as the new 9100/9150 and Etap will affect the market.
Same if you have THM Clavicula, all want SE now not standard.
It will be like this all the time.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

OK, I'm going to give you the exact opposite advice as everyone else. :lol:

I believe that you really want a disc brake bike (and I understand you, I own one and love it - I mainly ride in the Alps). Someone was right saying that a good investment is a bike that you will ride over the next 10 years. You don't want to be riding your current bike in 10 years, do you?
So, it's simple now. Sell your bike. Buy the disc brake bike you dream of and ride it till it's dead.

PS: if you just wanted to be confronted with the truth, you got it. If you need a good reason to explain to your wife that you absolutely need to change your bike (again) I hope you had well prepared your plan and underestimated the value of your current bike (who would be foolish enough to let the wife know the real cost of the bike?!) :roll:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Bikes are not investments, you're already screwed. Keep riding and don't worry about blue books.

jrobart

by jrobart

SportingGoods wrote:
PS: if you just wanted to be confronted with the truth, you got it. If you need a good reason to explain to your wife that you absolutely need to change your bike (again) I hope you had well prepared your plan and underestimated the value of your current bike (who would be foolish enough to let the wife know the real cost of the bike?!) :roll:

Amen. Never ever admit the real cost of the bike to your wife/girlfriend!

Seems like you really want a bike with disc brakes. Sell yours and buy what you want because if you enjoy it more then you undoubtedly will end up riding it more.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

AJS914

by AJS914

I can't believe you guys revived this dumb thread from August. :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com