Hyrdaulic Disk Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MoPho

by MoPho

loudboxer wrote:This. Cruising around on the flats, discs are overkill and pretty much just extra weight. But on good steep and twisty descents - Mount Diablo's North Gate for example - they really earn their ride. Throw in some wet fog-rain and the discs are in a league of their own. Horses for courses...

Yup :thumbup: Descending Diablo a friend of mine rides away from me when he is on his disc brake bike, on his rim brake bike I can keep up with him. I just ordered a disc brake road bike, so we will see. More importantly though, I want the disc brakes for the times when I have to go down the mountain slow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Here's my 02 cents.

Race bikes - light machine with mechanical shifters and caliper brakes.
Endurance and training bikes - Di2/eTap with discs for your favorite descents and foul weather. No need to be a WW here!
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MichaelB

by MichaelB

loudboxer wrote:
This. Cruising around on the flats, discs are overkill and pretty much just extra weight. But on good steep and twisty descents - Mount Diablo's North Gate for example - they really earn their ride. Throw in some wet fog-rain and the discs are in a league of their own. Horses for courses...

+1. In Adelaide, we don't have any long and steep descents, but lots of good hills and plenty of dry/wet rides (starts dry, but can rain with little notice) so it's a win especially in winter/spring/autumn.

McNamara

by McNamara

The big question, for me, is when road disc brakes will become either mandatory or at least de rigueur for racing. I don't have nor ever intend to have one bike for races and another for...well, what is there besides racing and training for races?

For wet conditions and scary descents, I'm pretty well sold on the qualities of hydraulic disc brakes. I've never had the chance to try them, nor the need as I live in a pretty flat place. I'm just concerned with future developments in UCI and USA Cycling rules. I'd like to keep my current rim brake frame as long as possible. For this season at least, the UCI has said no to disc brakes - good for me.

What do you all think is a likely time frame for the eventual implementation of disc brakes in the pro peloton? I think it may be inevitable due to the money the industry has put behind the technology, but there are a few issues with standardization that rim brakes don't quite have (rotor size, thru-axle vs. QRs, etc.). I really won't complain too much being forced onto disc brakes in the future but I wonder if we're talking 1-2 years or more like ten.

ergott

by ergott

McNamara wrote:The big question, for me, is when road disc brakes will become either mandatory or at least de rigueur for racing.

It will never matter for you. You can continue to have a rim brake bike and let those around you do what they want as well. It really doesn't matter, the sky isn't falling.

McNamara

by McNamara

I wouldn't say never, unless you're actually asserting that disc brakes will literally never be mandated for UCI or USAC races. People might have been saying the same thing about helmets twenty years ago.

ergott

by ergott

Well then you already answered your own "big" question. Time to go shopping. :roll:

or

Just continue to enjoy cycling the way you currently do and deal with it when figuratively never comes around.

bikebike

by bikebike

I agree with the uncertain time horizon on standardizing disc brakes. I decided to stay with rim/caliper brakes. I do not want to purchase a 2017 frame that is already outdated (as post mount hydro brakes are! at least according to SRAM and Shimano for the time being). I tell you what though, everybody talks about wet weather stopping with hydro brakes as the main advantage and sometimes only advantage. I have tried them a few times now, and they stop better always. Crazy light one or two finger touch, and stop in half the distance. Especially good in those "Oh Shit!" moments near cars, other riders, going 50mph and a person or animal or cars comes in front of you. And just better stopping in all ways. The industry needs to get certain parts straight though. Need to get rid of QR with hydro brakes- just not worth the hassle of calipers not lining up well. And need to ensure sturdy parts. I have a feeling it will be more like 3-5+ years before bike companies "agree" on standardized parts.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

bikebike wrote: ..... I have a feeling it will be more like 3-5+ years before bike companies "agree" on standardized parts.

Will NEVER happen.

There will always be someone that comes up with a better 'standard' in their opinion. Evolution.

Whether it is better or not in the real world with real people.

Agree with all of your other comments re discs though. :thumbup:

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

I think the 12mm through axles for both front and back will be the standard that comes to the top. I agree that QRs and discs are a really bad combination.

ergott

by ergott

I just road D2R2 with QR disc bike. 100 miles, mostly dirt, 10k feet of elevation. No way QR held me back in any appreciable way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

ergott wrote:I just road D2R2 with QR disc bike. 100 miles, mostly dirt, 10k feet of elevation. No way QR held me back in any appreciable way.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Havent caused any issues in the 7-8k km I've put on my Tarmac. All comes down to using good skewers and setting things up properly.
Using Tapatalk

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

Used QR on MTB for years with disc brakes and never an issue.

Now ride Defy with QR 140mm discs. No issues at all especially with the Zipp 30 course I run.

Broady

by Broady

As long as you have decent skewers (Shimano / DT Swiss etc) you'll be fine with discs and QRs, it's only the lightweight open cam ones that sometimes get a bit flexy.

ergott

by ergott

Yup. I use either XTR or sometimes a silver Record for the front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com