Hyrdaulic Disk Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:Like I said... Lol

Are you going to prove it wrong or just continue your usual whining about disc brakes? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

MoPho wrote:
That's hardly a big difference and doubtful as being the cause for much of a drag penalty, if any. Besides, the rims are more aero without the brake track, so makes up for it. And lighter too. I am about to have a set of Enve disc wheels built up and the (supposed) weight is the same as the non disc version despite having a greater rim depth.
Of course the rotor adds a little weight and little aero penalty, but still a non issue for most people

And the typical average speed in the races I do is 28 mph. That figure of 3 watts is for the most common conditions, not the more extreme conditions that decide races.

So is it a common conditions that you are you out in the wind the entire race, or are you drafting/in a peloton? These aero penalties are usually calculated in a wind tunnel that doesn't necessarily represent a race situation where you are surrounded by other riders

And lets not forget that the vast majority of cyclists don't race, your scenario doesn't apply to most people who are looking to get disc brakes :noidea:

That average speed is rolling turns. So not all the time is on the front but a considerable amount still is. It's not a big difference (similar to the difference between a 808 and 404) but add it to an aero helmet, frame, handlebars, shoes, shaved legs, skin suit and it will add up to a noticeable difference.

I reckon most people choose carbon wheels for their looks. Add on disc brakes to get the braking back up to the level of an alloy braking surface and they may as well have chosen some FLO30 alloy wheels as the drag and weight would have to be pretty line ball.

MoPho

by MoPho

Cheetahmk7 wrote:
That average speed is rolling turns. So not all the time is on the front but a considerable amount still is. It's not a big difference (similar to the difference between a 808 and 404) but add it to an aero helmet, frame, handlebars, shoes, shaved legs, skin suit and it will add up to a noticeable difference.

I reckon most people choose carbon wheels for their looks. Add on disc brakes to get the braking back up to the level of an alloy braking surface and they may as well have chosen some FLO30 alloy wheels as the drag and weight would have to be pretty line ball.

And yet riders who don't buy all the aero stuff still win races. But If you think that having disc brakes will cost you races, don't buy them....

My paycheck doesn't come from winning races, and my personal experience with disc brakes has been great, are better than allows rim brakes and they add to the fun, plus everyone I know IRL that has used them concluded the same thing. YMMV.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Cheetahmk7 wrote:It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

+1 Exactl,y! Thank you for stating the obvious, to most. The shape of the brake track (or side of a wheel) is not dependent on whether its a rim brake or a disk brake. You still need a sidewall to hold the tire on. Someone is really drinking the KoolAid.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
Cheetahmk7 wrote:It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

+1 Exactl,y! Thank you for stating the obvious, to most. The shape of the brake track (or side of a wheel) is not dependent on whether its a rim brake or a disk brake. You still need a sidewall to hold the tire on. Someone is really drinking the KoolAid.

Uhh, show me such a brake track that is other than flat and vertical yet still functions as a brake track with caliper brakes. Never seen such a thing, certainly not on any aero wheels

Funny how you don't question BS when it fits your argument :roll:

And really, someone who buys Colnagos shouldn't be accusing anyone of "drinking the KoolAid" :lol:

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

MoPho wrote:

Uhh, show me such a brake track that is other than flat and vertical yet still functions as a brake track with caliper brakes. Never seen such a thing, certainly not on any aero wheels

And really, someone who buys Colnagos shouldn't be accusing anyone of "drinking the KoolAid" :lol:

My Flo30 training wheels for instance.
Last edited by Cheetahmk7 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoPho

by MoPho

Cheetahmk7 wrote:My Flo30 training wheels for instance.

LOL, looks flat and vertical to me :noidea:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MoPho wrote:
Calnago wrote:

Uh.... Zipp, for one.

@Cheetahmk7: Could you please edit your last post. It looks like you're quoting me as saying something ridiculous, when in fact it was MoPho. Thanks.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
Uh.... Zipp, for one

Nope. Nice try

@Cheetahmk7: Could you please edit your last post. It looks like you're quoting me as saying something ridiculous, when in fact it was MoPho. Thanks.

You're the ridiculous one, you follow every disc discussion and incessantly whine about disc brakes. It's really simple, if you don't want them, don't buy them

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You don't know that Zipps brake tracks are angled out, for more aero? Hmmm.

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:You don't know that Zipps brake tracks are angled out, for more aero? Hmmm.

They are flat and vertical, like every other brake track, nothing unique here. You told me they can be any shape. You're grasping at straws

Last edited by MoPho on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

The brake tracks on the FLO30 wheels are definitely not vertical. From the Flo website:
The FLO 30's brake track starts at 24.00mm and reaches 25.82mm at the bottom. The max width of the wheel is 25.96mm with an overall depth of 30mm.

Just because brake tracks have always been flat and vertical doesn't mean that they have to be. The rubber brake blocks quickly conform to the shape of the brake track.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Someone's grasping, but it's not me. Nite.

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:Someone's grasping, but it's not me. Nite.

OK chief :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com