Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:52 am
Posts: 67
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
Both really. You can't radially lace a disc brake hub for instance and that means a different hub design.


You can radially lace the non-disc side if you want.

But all of these arguments are silly. The lacing pattern doesn't appreciably affect aerodynamics, the number of spokes does.

If a six watt difference is significantly significant to your riding, it doesn't matter what wheels you use. You need to get for before you worry about such things.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am
Posts: 69
GothicCastle wrote:
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
Both really. You can't radially lace a disc brake hub for instance and that means a different hub design.


You can radially lace the non-disc side if you want.

But all of these arguments are silly. The lacing pattern doesn't appreciably affect aerodynamics, the number of spokes does.

If a six watt difference is significantly significant to your riding, it doesn't matter what wheels you use. You need to get for before you worry about such things.


True.

And disc equipped wheels usually have more spokes. For instance the disc Zipp 404 has 6 more spokes.

I'm happy for you that you have power to burn.


Top
   
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 pm
Posts: 682
I haven't heard anything recently about whether the UCI intends on lifting the disc brake ban again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:12 am
Posts: 412
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
The brake tracks on the FLO30 wheels are definitely not vertical. From the Flo website:
Quote:
The FLO 30's brake track starts at 24.00mm and reaches 25.82mm at the bottom.


I ride Flo30s too. I built them as disc-brake wheels, though. While the brake track is not perfectly flat, it is obvious looking at it they are still constrained by the brake pads. Compare to a Aileron or others of the newer disc-only rims. Those shapes clearly wouldn't work with rim calipers.

Obviously rim calipers are a constraint and removing that constraint opens up flexibility. Everyone in the industry has said that when asked.

But arguing over these hypothetical 3-6watts is silly. Look at a complete bike with modern, flat-mount brakes. If Specialized says it is a few seconds difference in the 40k/40kmph between an aero rim-brake bike and aero disc-brake, then that is probably the best / most-relevant apples-to-apples data here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 840
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
I don't like the noise disc brakes make.


QR's is the root cause of noise due to marginal misalignment, right? I read that thru-axle remedy the noise issues.

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am
Posts: 308
:lol: :lol:
I find many of the posts rejecting discs due to weight & aero a bit funny. Weight CAN be an issue, but the difference is not that much. That said, this is WW.

The weights are coming down and the aero stuff is real;ly lineball. If aero was really king, why do pro's have big bushy beards, flapping jerseys, dangling chains etc ...

ANYWAY, just got back from 2 weeks in Italy & France, and I can honestly say the discs (R785 levers and Zee calipers) were the ducks nuts :mrgreen:

Some of the descents (Passo Fedaia to Caprile, Umbrail & Il Monticello) would have been more interesting on rim brakes. Long descents were easy due to the 99% 1 finger braking.

The discs didn't slow me down up the hills (I'm not a small guy) but they certainly died it well going down !!! Same feel & power at the top and bottom, wet or dry, hot or cold.

Discs are the way fwd imho, but if you are happy with your rim brakes, then great too :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 am
Posts: 51
MichaelB wrote:
ANYWAY, just got back from 2 weeks in Italy & France, and I can honestly say the discs (R785 levers and Zee calipers) were the ducks nuts :mrgreen:


What are the differences between the r785 or r805 calipers vs the Zee's?
i know Zee's are for mtb downhillers, do they run dual calipers?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm
Posts: 731
mpulsiv wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
I don't like the noise disc brakes make.


QR's is the root cause of noise due to marginal misalignment, right? I read that thru-axle remedy the noise issues.



My set-up is thru-axle

_________________
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 840
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
I don't like the noise disc brakes make.


QR's is the root cause of noise due to marginal misalignment, right? I read that thru-axle remedy the noise issues.



My set-up is thru-axle


Noisy even in dry condition?

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 am
Posts: 308
@ tomee

785 & 805 are both 2 piston calipers. 785 is the post mount, and 805 are the new Ultegra level flat mount.

Zee are the 4 piston MTB caliper (same size etc as Saint). Main reason for using the Zee is the bigger pad area, hence greater heat dissipation, longer pad life and more braking power. Still get brilliant modulation.

One added benefit was the hose routing suits my Volagi Liscio better than the R785 (banjo fitting) or BR785 (inline threaded fitting) because of where the fluid entry is on the caliper.


Anyone want a set of unused & unmounted BR785 calipers for cheap ? :lol:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 pm
Posts: 54
mpulsiv wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
I don't like the noise disc brakes make.


QR's is the root cause of noise due to marginal misalignment, right? I read that thru-axle remedy the noise issues.



My set-up is thru-axle


Noisy even in dry condition?


I also run discs with thru-axles and they are indeed noisy in wet conditions. Same story on my CX bike with QRs and mechanical disc brakes.

Misalignment does not cause the squealing. My understanding is that it is caused by the ratio of static and dynamic friction coefficients of brake pads and disc surfaces.
Sintered metal pads are the worst in this respect. Btw. it's the same issue with cars. I had sintered metal pads on my previous sports car and they were squealing like crays when cold.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:52 am
Posts: 51
MichaelB wrote:
@ tomee

785 & 805 are both 2 piston calipers. 785 is the post mount, and 805 are the new Ultegra level flat mount.

Zee are the 4 piston MTB caliper (same size etc as Saint). Main reason for using the Zee is the bigger pad area, hence greater heat dissipation, longer pad life and more braking power. Still get brilliant modulation.

One added benefit was the hose routing suits my Volagi Liscio better than the R785 (banjo fitting) or BR785 (inline threaded fitting) because of where the fluid entry is on the caliper.


Anyone want a set of unused & unmounted BR785 calipers for cheap ? :lol:


interesting. I didnt know you could use mtb brakes with road. In the end i guess if you have the right line connection and mounts then it shouldnt matter.
Have you got any pics? im intrigued by this setup.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm
Posts: 187
I run XT on the front, no problems at all. No noise or anything, no flex due to the QRs, all the online complaints are usually from people who have never actually used them.

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:36 pm
Posts: 34
i think XT and R785 are completely the same except of "XT" logo.

I have R785 right now and i´m coming back to rim brakes with my next bike. i have 10k km of experience with disc brakes, i understand people who like them. But it´s not for me.


Top
   
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm
Posts: 731
I'll be riding my disc brake bike more in the winter. Disc brakes have their uses and applications, but the proponents over-state the need. I ride my caliper bike far more than my disc bike

_________________
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Heat Shield for Disk Brakes?

in Road

krtassoc

11

783

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 am

mattr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dogma F8 hydro disk brakes/ Di2 Ultegra vs Cannondale SuSix Di2/Ultegra

in Road

bikebike

2

701

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 am

bikebike View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Venge Vias Disk is here....

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

in Road

mile2424

82

11829

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 am

endershan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Weight difference between F8 and F8 Disk....

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

mile2424

15

1356

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 pm

dadoflam08 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Worried by industry pro disk brake propaganda filtering through cycle media

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

in Road

Lewn777

88

5105

Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 am

thumper88 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], campagowlo, CP, kulcha, silvalis, themidge, zappafile123 and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited