Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Calnago wrote:
Like I said... Lol



Are you going to prove it wrong or just continue your usual whining about disc brakes? :roll:




.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am
Posts: 69
It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am
Posts: 69
MoPho wrote:

That's hardly a big difference and doubtful as being the cause for much of a drag penalty, if any. Besides, the rims are more aero without the brake track, so makes up for it. And lighter too. I am about to have a set of Enve disc wheels built up and the (supposed) weight is the same as the non disc version despite having a greater rim depth.
Of course the rotor adds a little weight and little aero penalty, but still a non issue for most people

Quote:
And the typical average speed in the races I do is 28 mph. That figure of 3 watts is for the most common conditions, not the more extreme conditions that decide races.


So is it a common conditions that you are you out in the wind the entire race, or are you drafting/in a peloton? These aero penalties are usually calculated in a wind tunnel that doesn't necessarily represent a race situation where you are surrounded by other riders

And lets not forget that the vast majority of cyclists don't race, your scenario doesn't apply to most people who are looking to get disc brakes :noidea:

.


That average speed is rolling turns. So not all the time is on the front but a considerable amount still is. It's not a big difference (similar to the difference between a 808 and 404) but add it to an aero helmet, frame, handlebars, shoes, shaved legs, skin suit and it will add up to a noticeable difference.

I reckon most people choose carbon wheels for their looks. Add on disc brakes to get the braking back up to the level of an alloy braking surface and they may as well have chosen some FLO30 alloy wheels as the drag and weight would have to be pretty line ball.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Cheetahmk7 wrote:

That average speed is rolling turns. So not all the time is on the front but a considerable amount still is. It's not a big difference (similar to the difference between a 808 and 404) but add it to an aero helmet, frame, handlebars, shoes, shaved legs, skin suit and it will add up to a noticeable difference.

I reckon most people choose carbon wheels for their looks. Add on disc brakes to get the braking back up to the level of an alloy braking surface and they may as well have chosen some FLO30 alloy wheels as the drag and weight would have to be pretty line ball.



And yet riders who don't buy all the aero stuff still win races. But If you think that having disc brakes will cost you races, don't buy them....

My paycheck doesn't come from winning races, and my personal experience with disc brakes has been great, are better than allows rim brakes and they add to the fun, plus everyone I know IRL that has used them concluded the same thing. YMMV.


.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4432
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

+1 Exactl,y! Thank you for stating the obvious, to most. The shape of the brake track (or side of a wheel) is not dependent on whether its a rim brake or a disk brake. You still need a sidewall to hold the tire on. Someone is really drinking the KoolAid.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Calnago wrote:
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

+1 Exactl,y! Thank you for stating the obvious, to most. The shape of the brake track (or side of a wheel) is not dependent on whether its a rim brake or a disk brake. You still need a sidewall to hold the tire on. Someone is really drinking the KoolAid.



Uhh, show me such a brake track that is other than flat and vertical yet still functions as a brake track with caliper brakes. Never seen such a thing, certainly not on any aero wheels

Funny how you don't question BS when it fits your argument :roll:

And really, someone who buys Colnagos shouldn't be accusing anyone of "drinking the KoolAid" :lol:


.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am
Posts: 69
MoPho wrote:


Uhh, show me such a brake track that is other than flat and vertical yet still functions as a brake track with caliper brakes. Never seen such a thing, certainly not on any aero wheels

Funny how you don't question BS when it fits your argument :roll:

And really, someone who buys Colnagos shouldn't be accusing anyone of "drinking the KoolAid" :lol:


My Flo30 training wheels for instance.
Image


Last edited by Cheetahmk7 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
My Flo30 training wheels for instance.



LOL, looks flat and vertical to me :noidea:



.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4432
MoPho wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Cheetahmk7 wrote:
It's possible to make the brake track any shape that is needed. It doesn't have to be flat and vertical.

+1 Exactl,y! Thank you for stating the obvious, to most. The shape of the brake track (or side of a wheel) is not dependent on whether its a rim brake or a disk brake. You still need a sidewall to hold the tire on. Someone is really drinking the KoolAid.



Uhh, show me such a brake track that is other than flat and vertical yet still functions as a brake track with caliper brakes. Never seen such a thing, certainly not on any aero wheels

Funny how you don't question BS when it fits your argument :roll:

And really, someone who buys Colnagos shouldn't be accusing anyone of "drinking the KoolAid" :lol:


.


Uh.... Zipp, for one.

@Cheetahmk7: Could you please edit your last post. It looks like you're quoting me as saying something ridiculous, when in fact it was MoPho. Thanks.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Calnago wrote:

Uh.... Zipp, for one


Nope. Nice try

Image




Quote:
@Cheetahmk7: Could you please edit your last post. It looks like you're quoting me as saying something ridiculous, when in fact it was MoPho. Thanks.


You're the ridiculous one, you follow every disc discussion and incessantly whine about disc brakes. It's really simple, if you don't want them, don't buy them





.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
 Post subject: Hyrdaulic Disk Brakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4432
You don't know that Zipps brake tracks are angled out, for more aero? Hmmm.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Calnago wrote:
You don't know that Zipps brake tracks are angled out, for more aero? Hmmm.


They are flat and vertical, like every other brake track, nothing unique here. You told me they can be any shape. You're grasping at straws



.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Last edited by MoPho on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am
Posts: 69
The brake tracks on the FLO30 wheels are definitely not vertical. From the Flo website:
Quote:
The FLO 30's brake track starts at 24.00mm and reaches 25.82mm at the bottom. The max width of the wheel is 25.96mm with an overall depth of 30mm.


Just because brake tracks have always been flat and vertical doesn't mean that they have to be. The rubber brake blocks quickly conform to the shape of the brake track.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4432
Someone's grasping, but it's not me. Nite.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:32 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: NorCal/SoCal
Calnago wrote:
Someone's grasping, but it's not me. Nite.



OK chief :roll:


.

_________________
Website | Instagram


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Heat Shield for Disk Brakes?

in Road

krtassoc

11

782

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:44 am

mattr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dogma F8 hydro disk brakes/ Di2 Ultegra vs Cannondale SuSix Di2/Ultegra

in Road

bikebike

2

701

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 am

bikebike View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Venge Vias Disk is here....

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

in Road

mile2424

82

11827

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 am

endershan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Weight difference between F8 and F8 Disk....

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

mile2424

15

1356

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 pm

dadoflam08 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Worried by industry pro disk brake propaganda filtering through cycle media

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

in Road

Lewn777

88

5097

Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 am

thumper88 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], campagowlo, CP, EvilEuro, themidge, Yahoo [Bot], zappafile123 and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited