Best carbon handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Agree 'best' can mean different things to different riders. Personally I wouldn't know one carbon over another, but do appreciate some of the newer ergonomic bars. I've been using the 3T on my C-59 and the fit works very well for me.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BennyC

by BennyC

gavin wrote: ... they were the choice of the giant Alpecin team...

Was that because Giant Alpecin were paid to use them ?

For example do you think the riders for Giant Alpecin ( or Sunweb) would be allowed any choice in what bike they use other than Giant Propel or TCR, regardless of which bike was best.
Also the Trek Segafredo team only use Bontrager components, no coincidence that Trek own the Bontrager brand.
When Ive seen race teams use other components other than their sponsors, they've been painted over, taped over or had the graphics removed. I think Lance Armstrong in his early years was using a Litespeed frame painted as a Trek Madonne.

Theres some interesting photos on here... http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... out-44749/
Last edited by BennyC on Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gavf

by Gavf

quango2k wrote: it also doesnt bend, it just snaps, suddenly without warning. Been there, got the scars to prove it.

That is complete nonsense with modern carbon bars, due to the way the carbon is laid up.

Show pics of your snapped bars and/or screen prints of the RTA with the manufacturer or I am simply not going to believe you.

quango2k

by quango2k

Oh no, please believe me as your opinion is soo important to me! grow up pal.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

At my place of work we've had quite a few carbon parts come back in snapped or splintered, most of the bars we get splinter like bamboo, they seem to crack and the fibres remain attached with the rest of the bar dangling or sometimes even still pretty solid, you have to give it a good push before it gives.
We've had bars snapped that riders didn't even know were snapped, still partly together under the tape.
I've never seen a bar snap clean off but I could see it happening with a massive impact.
We've had bars after multiple impacts with chips and gouges takes out near the plug and they've still been solid to ride.
Personally if I crashed a bike and my carbon bars had taken a hard hit regardless of how solid they felt I know I'd lose confidence, every sprint or descent I'd be doing it cautiously worrying about the bars failing.
Still I use carbon bars, I seem to have a crash once every 3-5 years and I have complete faith in a quality carbon bar (currently using 38 c2c Giant bars).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavf

by Gavf

quango2k wrote:Oh no, please believe me as your opinion is soo important to me! grow up pal.

It is for anyone reading, not just me, show the evidence of a clean break on a carbon bar, specifically 3T Ergonova.

I am sure you would have sent your 3T Ergonova bars back for replacement or refund, so are you confident enough that if I got a rep here to defend their product, you can back up you claim with evidence, because as I see it, what you are claiming is very defamatory, especially under UK law.

I have nothing to do with the cycle industry either, other than being a consumer.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

I have been on Easton for ages they are great and tuff..
Presently im using a Canyon aero cockpit and have to say its great .. the ergo is perfect and its solid.

Wookski

by Wookski

Schmolke- the inventors of the carbon handlebar.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

best bars are easton TKO and EQUIPE PRO

Mep

by Mep

Gavf wrote:
quango2k wrote:Oh no, please believe me as your opinion is soo important to me! grow up pal.

It is for anyone reading, not just me, show the evidence of a clean break on a carbon bar, specifically 3T Ergonova.

I am sure you would have sent your 3T Ergonova bars back for replacement or refund, so are you confident enough that if I got a rep here to defend their product, you can back up you claim with evidence, because as I see it, what you are claiming is very defamatory, especially under UK law.

I have nothing to do with the cycle industry either, other than being a consumer.

I would personally be very interested if you're able to get a 3T rep in here, as I along with many others (in a separate thread) have experienced dents and creases that appear to have compromised the structural integrity of the bars.

quango2k

by quango2k

:beerchug:
Gavf wrote:

Thinking about it, its only Zipp bars I have cracked or snapped on impacts on the road bike. I once snapped (well, not snapped but turned into a mess of wobbly fibre) was a set of Easton Haven carbon bars on my trail bike...but that was in an argument with a large tree, I wasnt too bothered about it due to being unconscious.

I've also seen a set of Easton road bars snap, but again it was a very very very hard impact into the back of a stationary 4x4..my friend will never ever live that one down.

wingguy

by wingguy

quango2k wrote:Thinking about it, its only Zipp bars I have cracked or snapped on impacts on the road bike.

So for clarity, the thing you said happened to Ergonovas actually happened to Zipps?