Best carbon handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gavin

by gavin

Wow thanks guys great info

In looking at the bars in pics on the internet it looks like the salesman just did not know what he was on about !

They look exactly like what is on the bike .

Also 200 g is not excessive for weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

Try Schmolke. I have TLOs and have been delighted with them over 3 years b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quango2k

by quango2k

Buy light alloy bars, something like zipp service course SL-70 ergo etc etc.

Carbon bars are a waste of money, some are even heavier. Remember, one drop of your bike (heaven forbid!) and your bars are done, aka unsafe to ride. They take impacts badly. also, if you stack it on raceday, you are done. at least you can get home or even finish a race on alloy bars. You dont see a lot of carbon bars in the pro peleton, if any.

1415chris

by 1415chris

If I could only have videos of my few crushes and car incidents you would have to eat your every single (almost) word ;)

Gavf

by Gavf

quango2k wrote:Buy light alloy bars, something like zipp service course SL-70 ergo

There are not light though, they are 260g for a 42cm bar

For reference, my ritchey superlogic bars weigh 176g in 40cm

3Pio

by 3Pio

Gavf wrote:
quango2k wrote:Buy light alloy bars, something like zipp service course SL-70 ergo

And dont know about Sl-70 Ergo, but my Zipp Service Course Sl80 is like noodle and very flexy.Actual weight in 42 cm was 263 gm. When i upgrade to Easton EC90SLX3 i got much stiffer front end and saved weight.Actual weight is 202 gm for 42cm and 207 gm for 44cm (this one is same width as Sl80 42).

I must admit i almost got Deda Zero 100 alloy bar , but wanted to test Carbon bar.Another positive thing with carbon bar is better absorbing of road buzz or bumps

quango2k

by quango2k

3Pio wrote:
Gavf wrote:

And dont know about Sl-70 Ergo, but my Zipp Service Course Sl80 is like noodle and very flexy.Actual weight in 42 cm was 263 gm. When i upgrade to Easton EC90SLX3 i got much stiffer front end and saved weight.Actual weight is 202 gm for 42cm and 207 gm for 44cm (this one is same width as Sl80 42).

I must admit i almost got Deda Zero 100 alloy bar , but wanted to test Carbon bar.Another positive thing with carbon bar is better absorbing of road buzz or bumps

if anything the SL80 is too stiff, you really feel the road. The carbon zipps are so flexy its unreal. Ive had both the sl70 and the contour SL carbon bars both flex so much i was scared they would snap.

If you want to save weight, there are better places to spend your money than bars. bars are critical to your safety, if you drop your bike ONCE on concrete your bars will be the first to take the fall, they are unsafe from that point onward. You might not see damage, but its there. Ive had carbon bars fail, I will never use them again. If you want to save 100g, take a sh*t in the morning before you ride.

quango2k

by quango2k

Gavf wrote:

comparing apples to pears there. Save 84g by spitting out a mouthful of water from your bottle...done. :)

Gavf

by Gavf

quango2k wrote:comparing apples to pears there. Save 84g by spitting out a mouthful of water from your bottle...done. :)

I'm not though and your reasoning is illogical, I could save 84g if I had heavy bars by spitting out a mouthful of water and you seem to have disregarded quango2k point, that carbon bars are inherently more comfortable for road riding.

I also disagree that dropping your bike with carbon bars renders them dangerous, me and hundreds of others I know have had epic crit crashes and used the bars again without fault

Buying light parts is cumulative for weight saving, the whole bike, each part, is critical to our safety, which is why you buy trusted high quality stuff, not even necessarily high price either.

wingguy

by wingguy

quango2k wrote:If you want to save 100g, take a sh*t in the morning before you ride.

Carbon bars make you constipated? :shock:

wingguy

by wingguy

quango2k wrote:comparing apples to pears there. Save 84g by spitting out a mouthful of water from your bottle...done. :)

You just keep spitting water out to make up for every part of your bike that's heavier than it could be, then when you're finished (and both of your bottles are empty) go for a long ride on a hot day.

Report back with the results. :wink:

quango2k

by quango2k

Gavf wrote:

I'm not though and your reasoning is illogical, I could save 84g if I had heavy bars by spitting out a mouthful of water and you seem to have disregarded quango2k point, that carbon bars are inherently more comfortable for road riding.

I also disagree that dropping your bike with carbon bars renders them dangerous, me and hundreds of others I know have had epic crit crashes and used the bars again without fault

Buying light parts is cumulative for weight saving, the whole bike, each part, is critical to our safety, which is why you buy trusted high quality stuff, not even necessarily high price either.

I've dropped a bike, with 3t ergonova teams on it, couldn't see a crack and carried on riding..then SNAP, face full of tarmac. I've also crashed mid race and broke some Zipp SL70 bars..race over. Bars are (99% of the time) the first thing to hit the deck and take the full force of an impact. Even falling whilst leaning on a fence can crack them. Seen it happen plenty of times. Sure, if you use a bike for casual weekend rides and the likelyhood of a crash is low then fine, carbon is the way to go. For racing, not so much for me personally.

Sure its cumulative but you can save that 80-90g anywhere, lighter wheels/saddle/stem...whatever. And yes, every part is critical to safety but its about where the force of a crash or accident is applied. Bars are the first to hit the deck (after you)

As I said before, you don't see carbon in the pro peleton for good reason. You can still finish a race on bent alloy bars.

wingguy

by wingguy

quango2k wrote:As I said before, you don't see carbon in the pro peleton for good reason.

quango2k

by quango2k

Quoted from last years tour tech spots..

"Another cockpit related observation. It's aluminium, not carbon fibre, handlebars that are most common. It's the same with stems too. Why? Better resistance to damage in a crash is one reason, and the higher weight can help ensure the bike doesn’t dip below the UCI’s 6.8kg weight limit as well, plus stiffness as well. That said, we did still spot a fair few bikes with carbon handlebars, bucking the trend somewhat. Cavendish combines an Enve carbon stem with an aluminium PRO handlebar."

ok..'some' riders are using them, and thats only very recent thats been happening. mostly with the one piece bar/stem combos all the top manufacturers are pushing out.

It's not a matter of opinion but fact, Carbon bars are not as durable as alloy ones. Composites are great at torsional strength, not so much from impacts. it also doesnt bend, it just snaps, suddenly without warning. Been there, got the scars to prove it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

quango2k wrote:ok..'some' riders are using them, and thats only very recent thats been happening. mostly with the one piece bar/stem combos all the top manufacturers are pushing out.

Lots of riders are using them, and lots of seperate bars as well as one piece.

It's not a matter of opinion but fact, Carbon bars are not as durable as alloy ones. Composites are great at torsional strength, not so much from impacts. it also doesnt bend, it just snaps, suddenly without warning.

Sure. But you could say the same with wheels. And you could find tech quotes from not very long ago showing that almost all pros ride aluminium wheels at Paris-Roubaix. But it's not true anymore. Times changed, and they're still changing.