Lightweights at the Olympics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

Interesting to see the number of riders using Lightweights in the Olympic road race today, particularly since they are virtually invisible in the pro peleton these days.

Without sponsors to keep happy and choices made purely on performance on a rolling course, clearly a number of riders decided that the good old v section still has some legs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Lightweight - the only wheels pros pay for :D

CampagnoloRules

by CampagnoloRules

Nejmann wrote:Lightweight - the only wheels pros pay for :D

That was one tough course today- tons of climbing, hence the light wheels. I don't know how those guys do it to be honest. 147.5 miles in 6:10:05, which is an average of 23.94 mph for the winner.

Timo

by Timo

Nejmann wrote:Lightweight - the only wheels pros pay for :D

10 years ago maybe
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

There are many brands and wheels lighter than LW :)

solarider

by solarider

Lighter perhaps, but how many give the same combination of lightness, stiffness and aero?

That's the enduring appeal of Lightweight, and certainly pros racing the Olympics who should know a thing or 2 about what works wouldn't be using them when they don't have to for sponsorship reasons if they didn't have to.

kgt

by kgt

No other wheelset achieves those incredible numbers in terms of stiffness x lightness x strength. That is why pros always used them and still use them today in certain races. For the aeroweennies LWs have been tested somewhere in the middle in comparison to other medium profile wheels in terms of aero. Nor the best neither the worst.

In a course like yesterday's with multiple attacks and neverending climbing and descending LWs were expected to give an undisputable advantage. Nibali would be the winner on LWs if not for his bad luck I guess.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

Yes very hard race
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

micky

by micky

Carbonsports sent out a press release saying they have an agreement with Italian Federation for the Olympics.

deltree

by deltree

Did I see Aru toss a punctured LW front away and get a Corima from the team car?

reknop

by reknop

micky wrote:Carbonsports sent out a press release saying they have an agreement with Italian Federation for the Olympics.

Nibali was indeed riding them. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Last year I was talking with a friend, who is the manager of a top pro team. The team is sponsored by Shimano and they ride Shimano wheels, which he is happy with. But, on special occasions or special circumstances, some of the riders use LW wheels. He said LW is the best, though they can't ride them in general, and would if they could.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Does the 6.8kg limit still apply at the Olympics?

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Yes,the limit is still 6,8kg,but in my opinion,they should drop it to 6,5kg.

deltree

by deltree

reknop wrote:
micky wrote:Carbonsports sent out a press release saying they have an agreement with Italian Federation for the Olympics.

Nibali was indeed riding them. :)

Yep I think the entire Italian team, including the women, were on Lightweights. I did notice Kwiatkowski on them too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com