Meilenstein clinchers/tubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

@condorman, I know that people do try to 'pre-load' tubulars with sealant like you would do with a tubeless tire. The problem with a tubular is, of course, that it is not tubeless.

When a tubular develops a puncture, the tube is surrounded by the casing. The interplay between the casing and the tube can result in a failure of the sealant from successfully stopping the leak. It is nothing like tubeless, where the sealant can almost always be relied upon to work to seal most punctures. Further, by the time that you get the tubular off the tire, remove the basetape and open the tire to fix it, the sealant will have filled the space between the tube and the casing, in many cases making repair difficult, if not impossible.

I have a can of Vittoria Pitstop that I have had for 10 or so years, but never had to use it. Some people have tried that with varying degrees of reported success. I actually did 230-ish km on the weekend and forgot it at home. I would recommend carrying a spare tubular, as we have done for decades. For me, I have so few tubular flats that I often don't bother.

@Steve_W, congrats! I have a set of old Gen IIs and love them.

condorman

by condorman

Geoff wrote:@condorman, I know that people do try to 'pre-load' tubulars with sealant like you would do with a tubeless tire. The problem with a tubular is, of course, that it is not tubeless.

When a tubular develops a puncture, the tube is surrounded by the casing. The interplay between the casing and the tube can result in a failure of the sealant from successfully stopping the leak. It is nothing like tubeless, where the sealant can almost always be relied upon to work to seal most punctures. Further, by the time that you get the tubular off the tire, remove the basetape and open the tire to fix it, the sealant will have filled the space between the tube and the casing, in many cases making repair difficult, if not impossible.

I have a can of Vittoria Pitstop that I have had for 10 or so years, but never had to use it. Some people have tried that with varying degrees of reported success. I actually did 230-ish km on the weekend and forgot it at home. I would recommend carrying a spare tubular, as we have done for decades. For me, I have so few tubular flats that I often don't bother.

@Steve_W, congrats! I have a set of old Gen IIs and love them.

Thanks for this Geoff, I didn't realise the difference, I appreciate your response considering my question must have sounded stupid!

Am I right in thinking if you do get a puncture and need to use the spare tub you wouldn't be gluing it at the side of the road? Would you have to carefully use it to ride home?

None of my cycling buddies have any experience with tubulars and so this forum is my friend on this matter :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

No, you would not glue it because you would have it pre glued.
You can even use a spare tubular without glue at all (the glue on the rim will work) but you have to be very very careful.

condorman

by condorman

kgt wrote:No, you would not glue it because you would have it pre glued.
You can even use a spare tubular without glue at all (the glue on the rim will work) but you have to be very very careful.

Sorry but how is it pre-glued?

gtv18

by gtv18

condorman wrote:Sorry but how is it pre-glued?

err, by applying a layer of glue to the base tape of the tyre...

But seriously, apply a layer of glue to the base tape of the tyre you will carry as a spare,
allow it to dry, fold the tyre up, carry as a spare.
When the time comes, the pre-glued tyre will adhere itself to the glue that is already on your rim...

Bear in mind - you may want to take it easy on the spare tyre you've just fitted until you get home and glue another one on properly.

There is loads of information within this forum on gluing tubular tyres.....

Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

condorman

by condorman

gtv18 wrote:
condorman wrote:Sorry but how is it pre-glued?

err, by applying a layer of glue to the base tape of the tyre...

But seriously, apply a layer of glue to the base tape of the tyre you will carry as a spare,
allow it to dry, fold the tyre up, carry as a spare.
When the time comes, the pre-glued tyre will adhere itself to the glue that is already on your rim...

Bear in mind - you may want to take it easy on the spare tyre you've just fitted until you get home and glue another one on properly.

There is loads of information within this forum on gluing tubular tyres.....

I really appreciate this, I couldn't get through all 50 pages in the tubulars thread :) , and am sure some other will find this useful!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

having had both....I prefer tubs. Bit like sex with and without a condom :-)

sawyer

by sawyer

Steve_W wrote:After careful consideration I've concluded;
To pass on the clincher version of the melienstein, why? I do a few trips into the Alps per year, and although I'd consider myself an experienced descender, I'm guilty of being very aggressive....."I've worked bloody hard to get up here I'm certainly going to enjoy coming down" kind of attitude.
Apart from the obvious catastrophic affair, the thought of simply warping a set of £3500.00 wheels sends shudders.
Although not as nice IMHO, ENVE would be a choice I may lean to, due to the fact any damage to the rim can be replaced without the whole wheel going into the bin.
I have to credit Enve also with their 5 year warrenty, (lightweight 2 year) and 50% life discount for their crash replacement programme.
They seem to also place a lot of testing into the heat problem associated with CC's.
So, if it's not the lightweight tubular I opt for and persist into a CC arena....Enve it is.
I'll stand by lightweight though in saying, I'm a real sucker for the looks, I think they're stunning.
Mmm, now where's the Tape V GLue thread....
Steve

If you are as a good a descender as you imply, then it's much less of a problem on CCs

It's much more of a problem for those who don't know how to brake and manage heat build up

FWIW in high mountains I would only ride CCs that have a good record in those conditions and have tested well - e.g. Zipp
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I'd agree, possibly may have been okay. Also considered was tubulars are far easier to repair around the rim edge if any damage was to occur. Which here in NW England chances are 50/50.
I we all know if a lightweight rim can't be repaired the whole wheel goes in the B1N Cabinet.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

You can make very nice coat hangers out of damaged Lightweights. You can get 4 per wheel....(seriously!)

TonyM

by TonyM

I ride LW Meilenstein clinchers (and butyl tubes) without problems. Fantastic wheels!
For alpine courses I ride aluminun wheels however.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I prefer the comfort of latex tubes over butyl. Sadly you can't run latex tubes with carbon clinchers

mrgray

by mrgray

this is a win for common sense i think! beautiful LW tubs rather than clinchers. surely it just makes more sense.

i carry a tube and will give sealant a shot (tufo extreme - need something with little bits in it) (not into unstitching them and repairing just yet). pre-glued tyre goes on easy (if vittoria/veloflex) and with residual glue no issues. in fact i sometimes forget to glue it "properly" when i get home and on i go. not recommended of course but surely indicates it is not necessary to get gluing exactly right to achieve good secure results.

rubbing tyres prior to ride and mid ride is a good idea too (as in spin wheel and then use gloved hand to clean it off). get bits off before they have a chance to penetrate.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Now arrived, 20/20 melienstein. A work of art.....love them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com