Ciamillo Story: four years in the making (2013 - 2016)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

heartman4ever

by heartman4ever

This is my story. Just some selected transcripts from an e-mail thread that started in 2013. There's a lot more that I've edited out between the beginning and the end. I know it's all been said before, just wanted to add my exasperated voice to the record.

Enjoy the ride.

<<snip>>

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Fwd: Crank Modification
Date: August 2, 2016 at 7:13:40 AM PDT
To: Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com>

Hello Ted,

As you requested, I'm contacting you since I've still not received any tracking information from you (again). This has been going on for years (literally). What else would you suggest I do at this point other than give up hope?

Not much else left to say here.

Mark

Sent from Mark's iPad Pro

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 13, 2016 at 5:46:37 AM PDT
To: Mark
Subject: Re: Crank Modification

Hello Mark I will have them out this week. I have had a few problems on this batch but am almost finished. Please contact me on Friday if you don't have a tracking number.

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo - 770-364-7933
Please be sure you have entered your email for giveaways and special offers:
http://www.caw-designs.com (scroll to the bottom of the page)

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Mark wrote:
Ted,

I’m not sure what the problem is now, since we’ve talked about this and you promised to get the brakes sent out to me six weeks ago. As you wrote, I think I’ve been pretty patient but at this point I’m tired of getting my hopes raised that we’ll be done only to find it’s another false start.

Are you going to be able to do this or should I simply give up? I’d appreciate an honest answer, and I think if nothing else you owe that honest answer to me.

Mark

On Apr 26, 2016, at 7:43 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Sure thing Mark just finishing up this batch now and have yours going first.

Thanks,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Mark wrote:
Hello Ted,

Well, a few weeks has come and gone since our last exchange below and still nothing has arrived. Please let me know if you intend to honor your commitment as written below. There’s not much else to write that hasn’t already been written and poured over before. It’s pretty much up to you; I really need to move on - and hopefully would like to tell people that we ended this on a positive note.

Thanks,

Mark

On Apr 4, 2016, at 7:27 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Mark thanks for the email. I agree I owe you and more than just for what you paid for. I owe you for your incredible patience. I am still working on the new crank design but I think I need to get you some Micros this week. I will send tracking by Friday.

Thanks,

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Mark wrote:
Hi Ted,

Once again, I’m writing to ask if we can PLEASE put this issue to bed. After three years of waiting for a resolution, still haven’t received any product. The last time we spoke by telephone a few months ago I even offered (and you agreed) to send me the equivalent value of a couple GSL micro calipers, yet those never arrived either. I like your products, you seem to be a nice enough person on the phone, and I respect your artisanal abilities, but even you have to admit that your follow through on keeping your word has been pretty awful with regard to my situation.

I don’t like to engage in flame wars on the web, post long rambling stories, or incite problems by venting to user groups. I know you don’t need or appreciate that aggravation either. So as two men with mutual respect, let’s agree that this really has gone on too long and needs to end so I can stop thinking about it and becoming upset.

Feel free to call me or, even better, just send me something (anything) that would even the score to my home address.

Do the right thing, Ted.

Thanks yet again for taking the time to read through this and consider my request.

Mark

On May 28, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your patience. We are coming into the home stretch here with testing complete and production nearing completion on a batch of 40 new bases. We should be shipping within the next 3 weeks. Here is a solid model of the new design which will be plenty strong to handle your power:

<GRAVITAS-31.gif>

Thanks,

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Mark wrote:
Good morning Ted,

Checking back in for an update on the new production run and anticipated shipping date.

Thanks,

Mark

On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mark,

Things are moving nicely. I am in the fourth and final op of the new bases and will begin shipping the new cranks next week. Thanks for hanging in there.. you are going to love the new design.

Thanks,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Mark wrote:
Good morning Ted,

Checking back in for an update on the new production run.

Thanks,

Mark

On Apr 3, 2014, at 8:08 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Everything went fine with the 5000 mile test on the new revision. I am half way through the first production run of the new stuff and will have them completed in about 10 days. As soon as they are completed I will contact you. Thanks for your patience. This will be a much better season!

Thanks,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Mark wrote:
Good morning Ted,

Checking back in for an update as requested two months ago (see below).

Thanks,

Mark

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Yes, please call for a detailed update but to let you know where we are: I have the latest revision under some heavy testing with 6 riders. The plan is to get 5000 miles on this revision with no issues. Several of the riders are approaching 3000 miles this week with zero issues and are very happy with the stiffness and overall performance. This is good news but we still have a few thousand miles to go. We should be there in two to three weeks and if there is a failure then I would like to refund your money. Please check back with me at the end of the month. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks,

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Mark wrote:
Hello Ted,

Your advertising e-mail this evening jogged my memory regarding an update on the status of your efforts to revise and replace the Gravitas crank. Any news?

Mark

On Jan 5, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Happy new year to you. I have been busy working on increasing the strength of the crank and have come up with a powerful solution. Your crank presented an opportunity to find the weakness in the design due to the length of the arms. The 200 mm crank created enough leverage in the twisting load to break the base. In less catastrophic iterations (175 and below) the crank did develop creaking problems. The solution is a robust one... I have extended the center socket up to allow the opposing loads on the two outer tubes to be connected and arrested by supporting the tubes considerably more. Here is an image of the design change. I am working this week to get this new base off the machine. I appreciate your willingness to allow me to the chance to evolve this design. Let's catch up later in the week and I should have a definite ship date. I apologize for any inconvenience my project has created for your build.

<Gravitas 4.0.gif>

Thanks,

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Mark wrote:

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: Crank Modification
Date: December 23, 2013 at 6:01:18 PM PST
To: Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com>

Hello Ted,

Happy holidays to you. I am writing to follow up on this pending replacement crank and see whether you are on track to replace this by the beginning of 2014 as you had mentioned "closure of some sort by the end of the year" (see below). Please let me know the scoop so I can plan appropriately. I know not much gets done during the holidays, so hopefully in the beginning of 2014?

Thanks,

Mark

On Nov 22, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the photo... this explains a lot. Yes, the tubes had not been inserted properly which creates too much stress on the sockets. This is the worst I have seen it but rest assured I will have it resolved for you with no problems. Thanks again.

Thanks,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Mark wrote:
Hello Ted,

Thanks for the e-mail. I will indeed be returning the Gravitas crank to you today. Upon removing the crank this morning, I was surprised to find a significant crack on the non-drive side crank arm along the length of the aluminum base. Also, one of the pins holding the base appeared to be working out of the arm. I am attaching a picture of what the crank arm looked like upon removal. This could certainly explain the problems I was experiencing, but I am more concerned about this sort of failure being a recurring problem. I'm attaching a photo that I hope will clearly show the damage.

I look forward to hearing from you and getting some feedback about whether this was a design issue or assembly problem.

Thanks. Keep in touch.

Mark

<Crank crack.jpeg>

On Nov 21, 2013, at 10:41 AM, Ted Ciamillo <tciamillo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mark,

Good talking with you. Thanks for letting me get this right for you. I will resolve the issue as fast a I can but will insure closure of some sort by the end of the year.

Here is the address:

Ciamillo
527 Memorial Drive
Nicholson, GA 30565

Thanks,

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Jesus Christ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

There's been a few threads on here with pretty much the same exchange, albeit, not nearly the zen like patience level that you demonstrated. That's why I'll never buy one of his products, first hand or second hand.

AJS914

by AJS914

You would think that it would be cheaper to ship product rather than have to send all of those email and take all of those phone calls.

dj97223

by dj97223

"The check's in the mail!" :roll:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I'm very surprised. This is not how the usual Ted / Ciamillo stories go...

...usually the buyer / prospective buyer comes to the conclusion they're being played much, much sooner.

My sincerest condolences.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I am surprised nobody has knocked on his door if you know what I mean. We know where he lives. A lot of guys I know would have just paid him a visit and left with a lot more than just the product and money they are owed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ted's email signature wrote:Please be sure you have entered your email for giveaways and special offers:
Just one question. Did you enter your email for giveaways and special offers?

wingguy

by wingguy

heartman4ever wrote:The 200 mm crank

You run a 200mm crank?

Cool!

coppercook62

by coppercook62

He still owes my friend for a crank set. I warned him but he didn't listen. His crank came with the thread opposite for pedal spindle. Sent it back and went throught pretty much same song and dance then just gave up.

mythical

by mythical

11 years in the making from another perspective: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9318
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

uraqt

by uraqt

Hey please let us know if Ted send you your products......( I am serious) I would guess that you are not the only one...

C

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

HammerTime2 wrote: Did you enter your email for giveaways and special offers?

Maybe that is why he does not have his crank, Ted gave it away!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Didn't Lew do a similar thing with his wheels then ended up working at Reynolds?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

I wouldn't have been so patient, that for sure. I really don't know how some people can still be in business with such awful service.